Alert: The new honey on Fox Soccer Report makes my ears bleed

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by ElJefe, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kckal

kckal New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Most of all, an AC Milan fan should know how "Milan" is pronounced.

2. Rivaldinho

Rivaldinho Member

Jan 26, 2003
    What do you mean? Do you expect everyone to pronounce Milan with an Italian accent?

3. kckal

kckal New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No. I don't want everyone to say it the Italian way, kinda like "Meelahn."

But I do expect people to not say Milan with the "lan" part rhyming with "can."

And I expect that from most people.

4. Rivaldinho

Rivaldinho Member

Jan 26, 2003
    Can isn't a great example, because it has more than one pronunciation, but when used as a noun, it rhymes with Milan.

5. kckal

kckal New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    "can" "man" "tan" "Jackie Chan"

take your pick.

6. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    I haven't seen this girl yet, but based on your description, isn't this approach the same one taken by all the anchors?

I think you're expecting too much for the show to be delivered in that dry, "you know the score, here are the goals" sort of way. It's sports; it's entertainment. It's about stories, and a little suspense is what creates the drama. If you happen to already know the result, you just kind of suspend your disbelief (in the uncertainty) and go for the ride, or you enjoy watching the way the tale is told for an unknowing audience, etc.

I've seen similar complaints here and elsewhere, about "SportsCenter" on down. I don't know why it bugs people so much. That tension-and-resolve is fundamental to the way we engage with sports.

7. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    apparently May-Con

8. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you haven't seen her yet how could you possibly comment about my critique? Trust me, she's pretty terrible. Hopefully she will take a cue from the others and calm down.

9. Onyewu Power Station

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    Everton FC
    this is a bunch of bs.

its also the reason why every competition in the usa is decided by playoffs. i hate our sports culture.

10. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the "build the highlights" Sportscenter method is good when you don't know the score - it does build a little drama into the highlights. I find when I watch Sky and I don't know the score, by the time they finish the highlights I forget who won. Of course more often than not it's because I'm not watching attentively.

Either way on this I prefer the Sportscenter approach. But regardless the chick is still more over the top than Stallone :)

BTW - FSR now has 5 people: J St Louis, DT, blonde, brunette and Nabil Karim. They usually only carry 4. They had Machado, St Louis, Lissel and Peacock for the longest. Lissel left and DT showed up. Then Peacock left and Terri Leigh inaugurated the sidecar desk. Karim started doing voiceovers then Machado left and he got kicked up. Now that they have 5, is someone going to be leaving soon? or will Karim be filling the disembodied voice (Neal Devany) role?

11. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Where did peacock and carlos machado go? I bet FSR doesn't pay well, but those two guys know their stuff. If J St Louis leaves, that show is in trouble.

12. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don't know where Machado went (another footie tryout?) but Peacock I believe went to CBC. They have audio of him sometimes calling Toronto FC games. and Lissel does PR for TFC.

St Louis and DT are the only ones keeping that place running. I laughed one episode when Terri Leigh corrected Bobby about Wesley Snijder going off injured vs being tossed out. He loked like he wanted to smack her!

13. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Because I wasn't responding to your critique of her particular delivery. I was responding to your point about storytelling and "already knowing the results."

14. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Huh? What do you think sports is?

I suppose for some rare few it amounts to blankly observing feats of skill, like watching someone juggle plates or whatever. But for most people -- yourself included, I suspect -- it's about the drama. It's about the 90 minutes or nine innings or four quarters of drama that usually features clear-cut heroes and losers, clear-cut tension and resolution. A game is a story, and human beings like stories.

Sports is so dramatic, in fact, that it assumes a huge role in some people's lives. It defines who they are. It makes them do things like devote hours of their existence to Internet forums and name themselves after their heroes.

The point is that there's nothing wrong with an approach to sports news that presents a game as a story.

15. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are using an elaborate, and by-and-large solid, arguement on the wrong subject. She is way over the top, trust us!

16. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Oh, I believe you. It's easy to imagine.

I was just using your post to make a broader point about a complaint I periodically hear. And my elaborate elaboration was just a response to Onyewu Power Station's reply. I'm just frittering away my Sunday, is all.

17. Onyewu Power Station

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    Everton FC
    the actual sport itself. competition.

i cant remember who, but someone on espn was talking about how they watch sports for stars. i remember rob stone defending his shiet reporting on the mls saturday games back when they had game of the week on saturday, saying that people watch sports for the stories. that they need stories and drama to be interested. LOL. sorry. im sure there are plenty of people who believe that, largely in part to the shiet sports culture espn has created.

18. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Sorry, man, you've got yourself confused. That's the very point I'm making: the competition itself is dramatic, and so there's nothing wrong with sustaining that drama in a game recap.

I think you're seeing the word "story" and your brain is going, "Oh, I don't like how they cram fluffy personal stories into coverage of the Olympics/sports gossip/etc." That's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about game recaps, and whether or not they should unfold with suspense.

19. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they're the same entity now, but it was ABC Wide World of Sports' coverage of the Olympics (and Olga Korbut and Nadia Whatshername) that started it the bastards. It was them that cause us not to see Usain Bolt break his world records live. I believe you can also blame Nike and the NBA for marketing individuals rather than teams.

In other words - I don't know :)

20. Onyewu Power Station

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    Everton FC
    ya i know. i was just making a general statement about how sports are presented here versus other places. needless to say i dont like the amount of emphasis that is placed on it here.

21. Rivaldinho

Rivaldinho Member

Jan 26, 2003
    Milan rhymes with "man" and "tan".

22. kckal

kckal New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    eh?!

Only if you say "man" the Jamaican way.

I have no idea what bizaare way you pronounce "tan" but it does not rhyme with the way Milan is pronounced.

http://inogolo.com/pronunciation/d1117/Milan

Thats how Milan is pronounced normally. Not in Italian.

Also, I have had a lot of pointless conversations on BS, but to have a 3 day discussion over the pronunciation of Milan, may take the cake.

23. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Gotcha. All is well...

24. Rivaldinho

Rivaldinho Member

Jan 26, 2003
    That's what discussion forums are for. :)

I've never heard of inogolo before, but check an English dictionary and you'll find that Milan can rhyme with "man" and "tan".

I'm just tired of Eurosnobs who insist that if you don't pronounce things with an accent, you're wrong.