The Nemanja Vidic Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Dark Savante, Aug 26, 2008.

1. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    o:O. Rio inspires the defense with his presence but he is hardly a force of nature. He very rarely pushes himself and the rest of the defense up the pitch when we are chasing a game which is what a Keane was great in doing.

What you meant was "Keane or Robson" ;)

btw, did you see the Vidic+Evra 5 year videos? I think Vidic is a lot more articulate than people give him credit for.

2. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah that's exactly how I see it as well.

Let's look at the players that are usually on the pitch -

Nani - still immature and playacts
    Rooney - still a hothead at times
    Valencia - doesn't have the force of personality, don't know about his English either
    VDS - hard to have a keeper be the captain
    Vida - captain
    Evra - still a bit crazy, doesn't really seem to be a leader on the pitch
    Carrick/Fletch - meh...maybe Fletch in a few years, Carrick seems to passive

I guess Vida is the best choice of our regular players. It's not an issue that matters, as Fergie stamps his personality on the team regardless. But it does feel like we don't have a captain out there.

3. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I imagine Valencia's english is pretty poor since he's not meant to have a very strong grasp on Spanish even to start with

4. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    lol so what does he speak? Guess like on the pitch, off it he probably doesnt speak much.

5. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah, I'd imagine he'd know Spanish very well, as that's the main language of Ecuador I thought.

6. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    My take on communication with the V-1000.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY_N2ewiCsQ"]YouTube - Albert Pujols - The Machine commercial[/ame]

7. pgr17

pgr17 Member+

Sep 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    :confused:

8. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It could be that he's not articulate or well spoken. There are a lot of people like that.

Like NM.

;)

9. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    His problem isn't meant to be with speaking, but back when he signed for Wigan it was stated that he didn't have much of a grasp on written language due to his circumstances while growing up. I'll try and find the source

10. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    "He used to attend English lessons with Hondurans Maynor Figueroa and Wilson Palacios before the latter’s move to Spurs. Manchester City’s Felipe Caicedo and Segundo Castillo of Everton joined them but Valencia still struggles with English and his written Spanish is limited. Steve Bruce, who inherited Valencia at Wigan, said: ‘He struggled with it, but it didn’t matter. You knew you could just put him on the pitch and he would pick it up.’"

That's what I was referring to, maybe things have changed since? But I have a feeling not

11. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Not sure where some of this is coming from. Vidic talks as much as anyone on the field?? He's always directing the players, especially the defenders.

It's just in comparison to Rio, that he defers some of that communication, but that isn't a slight against him.

Vida is a fine captain. Maybe not a Keane or Robson, but that's more of a credit to them than anything.

12. nicktoe

nicktoe Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvOjSpZGxs4"]YouTube - Vidic and Evra - 5 Years (Part 1)[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsXmIeEKUzw&feature=related"]YouTube - Vidic and Evra - 5 Years (Part 2)[/ame]

13. Spencer

Spencer Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Quito
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Of course....that guy is an ignorant. Valencia speaks perfect Spanish, we speak Spanish here in Ecuador, yes....
    What a clown that guy who posted that haha....

14. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Respuesta: Re: The Nemanja Vidic Thread [R]

i think Vidić is a good captain

a lot of people associate a good captain with being vocal for whatever reason. a good captain can also lead by example which is what Vidić does. (yea he has rash moments so what)

15. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    No need to be a dick, Steve Bruce has met Valencia, I think he'd know better than you :cool:

16. Spencer

Spencer Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Quito
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    hahahaha I have met Valencia too...are you trying to be more ignorant? Because this is beyond ridiculous. I have talked to him before on the Airport. Plus do you know Spanish is the first language in Ecuador? EVERYONE speaks PERFECT Spanish here obviously. The only minorities that speak Spanish but not perfect are some indigenous tribes that live in remote areas.
    Who will know better me or Steve Bruce??? Hmmmm MEEEE, yes because I am Ecuadorean and Spanish is my first language, and this is my country, and I have talked to Valencia in person like I said and have seen him in 10000 interviews. And Steve Bruce's first Language is not Spanish. :rolleyes:
    So yes He speaks PERFECT Spanish.
    You seem to be Australian, beautiful country by the way, I have been there. Ecuador is even more beautiful though :cool:
    Anyways, it's as if I would just start to argue to you something like....Viduka of Kewell don't speak perfect English, althought they obviously do since they are Aussies and you have heard them speak hundreds of times, but I have heard somewhere that a Spanish coach (per say) of them said that they don't speak fluent English and I come to this board and start to stubbornly argue to you that they don't speak perfect English!
    Nonsense and total ignorance.......:eek:

17. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Whoa buddy. HolyJoe backed up his assertion with a direct quote from Bruce. So why are you going off on him?

I'm glad you've met Valencia and seen him on TV and what not, but I think his manager would also be a pretty solid source of information on him. You need to back off a bit.

18. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Its not really about speaking Spanish as he clarified. It was just pointed out that his written Spanish isnt perfect.

19. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Well, atleast someone on this board can read.

The rest are even worse than Valencia ;)

20. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I wished benni had let it go on. That was quite entertaining.

21. pgr17

pgr17 Member+

Sep 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  22. nicktoe

nicktoe Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    great picture vidas forearms are flexed there,
    in my opinion vida is a fantastic captain.

23. pgr17

pgr17 Member+

Sep 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nemanja Vidic voted Barclays Player of the Season - his 2nd award.

24. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Im happy a defender won an award. Not sure the precedent with regards to that particular award, but congrats to El Capitano