The Nemanja Vidic Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Dark Savante, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    I'm sure I'm not the only one to have noticed Vidic's improvement over the last year or so. He is coming on leaps and bounds and his containment of Defoe, a player who absolutely ripped him to shreds when he first came to England, was a marvel to behold, much for the reason of Vidic being well known to struggle against the nippier, slippery eel-like players of the league.

He marshalled his man with certainty and 'one step ahead' positioning that drove Defoe to temper tantrums on more than one occasion. He also put in a perfect sliding tackle that averted a clear goal-scoring chance as well.

I don't think the Vidic that arrived could have done that, the one we have here now could arguably be regarded as the 2nd best CB in the league after Rio - not just as part of the pairing, but in his own right as per his achievements in the league.

He's the only CB that has contained Drogba also, which is a big notch on his built.

I felt the old Nemanja could be usurped by Jonny Evans. His old level was OK, but outside of being the blunt instrument to Rio's finesse, he looked replaceable, but now, with his growth as a player, I think we have a serious problem with regard to getting Evans any solid rotation outside of the invariable impact injury Vidic will suffer at some point in the season.

You simply don't break up the #1 and #2 CB's who form the #1 partnership in the league, and that's going to create its own problems.

I wanted to bump this beings as I have had my opinion changed by Nemanja's new level and his capacity for improvement.

He's not the brutish player many of our fans like to depict him as. He plays a very hard, but fair game and fancies himself as a player to boot. If you haven't been watching his improvement, take time out from your usual viewing habits and watch the nuance is our Nemanja, you'll be pleasantly surprised by what you see.

2. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Re: Nemanja Vidic thread

Completely agree. His foot work and comfort with the ball is amazing compared to what it once was. When I think of Vidic I see him running into opponents, not so much out of reckless abandon, but clumsiness. He tried his hardest to keep up. However over the last 8 months or so it has changed. He has become much more of a complete player. He moves with the opposition now.

He has always had the stones. Now however he has the skill to back it up.

3. Charleysurf

Charleysurf Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Re: Nemanja Vidic thread

It'll be a tragedy if we can't keep Evans at the club due to a lack of opportunities. But what do you do when you already have the best CB pairing in the world?

4. Vermont Red

Vermont Red Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: The progression of Nemanja Vidic

I made the comment offline last season that Vidic fancies himself a footballer. The fact that Ferdinand and Van der Sar have complete confidence in passing the ball to Vidic under any circumstances says a lot about Vidic.

I can't say that I've noticed the same things this season that DS has pointed out (I'm still downloading the torrent of the Pompey match) but I will say that Vidic running down Martins was impressive. This is definitely something to keep an eye on.

5. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Was thinking the same thing , its kind of expected for him to mark Crouch but to mark Defoe out of the game shows a different kind of his game.
    His passing has improved as well I dont know if anyone noticed his long range or cross field balls are decent to say the least.

6. Insane111

Insane111 New Member

Feb 17, 2008

Yup, he's a player that you can have the utmost confidence in that he'll perform to standard. There was a moment at the end of the match yesterday where, fresh from receiving stitches above his eye from a collision, he heads clear a Portsmouth cross from a dangerous position, and it reaches pretty much the halfway line. Thats how to relieve pressure.

I wasn't shocked, or even that worried, when Pique left, because I knew that it was inevitable. He was never going to get in front of Nemanja as far as I could see, and he didn't have any real affection for the club to stick around to stay on the sidelines for 3 or 4 years. Evans is of course a fan of the club, but I think he recognises his quality too to want regular games before long, and I saw a quote from him recently intimating that. I just can't see Vidic being dropped though, he's too good.

Not a bad position to be in though is it, having the two best central defenders around in a rock solid partnership, with a youth product snipping at their heels?

7. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I remember there was a small discussion about this too last season. Even before he came here, I always thought of him to be more than a brute physical player but it would take time for that to develop and display. There's no question his time next to Ferdinand contributed to that but I think this even started to materialize slowly two seasons ago and last season, a bit before halfway through started to become consistent and now Vidic is his own player. His skill on the ball has also been understated. It's nowhere near Ferdinand's ability but he can hold his own and as a pure defender there's no question he's the second best in the league and Europe at the moment. He can both deal with more chaotic moments depending on his instinct and physicality and he can also play the ball calmly out of the box and push the line up much like Rio has done ever since he came here.

This is nothing new or surprising to me honestly. I fully expected this progression and I won't be surprised if by the end of this season it becomes even more refined.

8. lex fg

lex fg Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Nairobi / Manchester

Actually, if people really think back, when Vidic arrived he was billed as a hardman but a footballer in his own right, even a possible pick as a DM I recall hearing. His displays as he began to rise to form early last season earned him the reputation as the no-nonesense hard man, because that's his defensive style. He has definitely gained more confidence on the ball and more trust from his team-mates since, and so he's regaining that initial rep - definitely a footballer in his own right.

I was also very impressed with how he handled Defoe. Previously I remember so many of these speedsters finding gaps round him - I clearly remember Bellamy making him look stupid over and over in a game in 06/07. He is clearly polishing up his act, and I really don't think it's United bias right now to say that Rio and Vidic are not only the best partnership but the 2 best defenders in the league, Carvalho close behind.

9. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
  10. rossgreen

rossgreen Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Austin

If Evans goes, I'm glad we have another young CB in Cathcart to take his place.

11. Alfiesdodgyknee

Alfiesdodgyknee New Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Glazer's Pocket

He'll put his head where others wont put their feet, Hard as ********ing nails with Footballing ability , a footballing brain and the temprement required to boot.

Since hes come hes had a few shockers , One at anfield springs to mind (Sheasys one) but to watch him and Rio make a show of Peter Puke and Defoe not just last night but at the Charity shield was incredible. I actually felt sorry for Crouch as he was made look like a pathetic footballer.

12. United_Forever107

United_Forever107 New Member

Jun 29, 2003
    Shreveport, LA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So Vidic doesn't like the weather and doesn't want to remain in England forever. Its always something with this club isn't it? ;)

Maybe Evans won't have to wait very long.

13. Realwood

Realwood Member

Feb 11, 2004
    FC Dallas, Tucson

The new Reyes. :)

14. United_Forever107

United_Forever107 New Member

Jun 29, 2003
    Shreveport, LA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Vidic
    Slave
    Out!

15. Bronaldo

Bronaldo Red Card

Apr 8, 2007
    Canada

One of my favorite players.

He's really improved on his quickness ove rthe past two seasons.

16. haven

haven New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA

Crouch is a pathetic footballer. The cliche regarding him, "he has a good touch for a big man," says it all. Essentially, that means his touch is average for anyone else. Given that he can't finish and has below-average movement, he doesn't really have much going for him other than his height.

17. littleman

littleman Member

Oct 18, 2005

Not suprised that Vidic would want to leave -- I would say the same might go for Anderson, Nani, Fabio, Rafael, Possebon...

The ones who are definite stays are the English/British lads.

18. holytoledo

holytoledo New Member

Jan 13, 2005

The press are trying very hard to make this a big deal... when I don't think it is at all.

19. serbov

serbov New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Marakana

That interview is a load of bullshit. Vidic is super happy at Manchester and he is not a kind of person who would care about weather my God!Anyway the weather in Russia was not any different.But..... he was not married back then.:rolleyes:

20. WinningEleven

WinningEleven Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

:mad:

This is not good.

If I was a professional, the chance of success comes first before nice weather city.

Now all I am hoping is that he dismisses these comments and says he is happy because he is without a doubt the second best defender in the world.

21. j.fisher

j.fisher So Much Better

May 3, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's not just the weather he doesn't like.

Vidic hints at Spain move: Defender unhappy with weather and way of life

22. Bex79

Bex79 New Member

Apr 30, 2008
    Manchester, England

Heh heh just what I was thinking... :D

Silly comments really...And the media as to be expected are making as big a deal as they can of this. And the Scouse lot are creaming themselves... :D

23. WinningEleven

WinningEleven Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Vidic has just dismissed those comments.

Right now on Sky Sports News.

He admits saying he found it difficult to adjust, but he is happy to be a United player.

24. yikchi

yikchi Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    Garden State

yes, Vidic is leaving just like is Ronaldo is leaving.

25. WinningEleven

WinningEleven Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England