The Nagoya Grampus Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese Club Football' started by Blue-San, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    [​IMG]

Ok seriously guys, what is going on. I mean how is it possible there is not a thread on this forum, for the current champions and strangely I just now notice.

Quick. Some thoughts on their club, their season and some insight for the future ;)

2. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    The reason why we don't have these team threads is because there are no fans of these teams on BS Japan.

Usually if we want to talk about these clubs we just do it in the J1 thread.

Most people on BS Japan are either Urawa or Marinos fans.

3. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yeah figured that is the case. In my opinion though it is nice to have them, just so you can find things when you are looking for them.

Also, I haven't checked yet but are there threads for Kyoto Sanga and Consadole Sapporo considering they will be two new members of J1. I know there is one for FC Tokyo as I happen to have seen it.

No worries won't make them...however it would be useful if someone did

4. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Grampus U-18 won the J-Youth Cup

5. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Funny story, Nagoya will extend Yuki Maki but he'll make a conversion from forward to defender. Good thing he noticed he's not talented, hopefully he'll make a solid backup in defense with his height.

6. Owen-za

Owen-za Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Tulio must be worried about his place in the squad! Seriously, though, surely they aren't serious. If they are, TG he'll be fifth or sixth choice. I'd rather have Nikki Havenaar...

But on a more exciting topic, this season, for the first time, Grampus will be playing the majority of their home games outside Nagoya. Going to Toyota suits me fine, but I wonder what Nagoya city and the JFA make of this drift away from their home base, not to mention their devoted fans to the north and west of the city.

7. nipponbasse83

nipponbasse83 Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Ichikawa, Chiba, Japan
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    But dont u think most fans prefer watching games at Toyota over Mizuho? I know for once I would, and I would gladly travel the extra hour or so (?) it takes to get to Toyota. But since its not technically in Nagoya anymore, I guess some fans could get mad yeah.

8. Owen-za

Owen-za Member

Oct 31, 2010
    An extra hour on the travel time, an extra 1000 yen on the day out... For me, a small price to pay for watching a game in splendid surroundings at Toyota. But I can't speak for "most fans". Obviously the club have done their sums, and they get bigger crowds at Toyota than at Mizuho, so what's to lose?

Except that obviously they are Nagoya Grampus not Toyota Corolla (or whatever). In the long run, if they are going to play most of their home games in a sizeable and completely separate municipality, what does the name mean? If Sanfrecce played in Iwakuni or Sanga played in Otsu, would it matter? When does it stop being your local team?

9. Owen-za

Owen-za Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Yesterday's training match with Fukuoka Univ ends 7-1 to Grampus. First half with the "first team" is 4-0 (Kennedy not at the Kyushu camp). Second half with the "second team" (and some new guy - Maki - playing CB :rolleyes:) is 3-1. Naoshi is in the second team, whose attack is made up mostly of ex-youth players. Tanaka Teruki bags two to add to the couple he got in the second half against Oita HS.
    Another interesting piece of news is Isomura being called up to the NT squad for Iceland. Of course, it's a mixed bunch of players with few if any of the regulars, but nice to see that a youth team player has broken through - perhaps the first since Maya.

10. Owen-za

Owen-za Member

Oct 31, 2010
    On Tuesday Nagoya beat Oita 3-1 in a training match. "First team" were leading 2-0 after 70 mins (both from Ogawa - making a comeback to goal-scoring?). Yoshida scored for the "second team" with Trinita pulling one back before the end.
    Looks like Grampus are experimenting with three at the back, giving Abe and Hayuma more freedom to attack. Fujita, Kennedy and Nakamura were missing from this game, and Tanaka T replaced Tamada after an hour. Could this be a transition season for some of the veterans?
    Next game is against J2 newcomers Matsumoto Yamaga (where's the Gifu game?) on Saturday at the Toyota Sports Center (14.00).

11. Owen-za

Owen-za Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Not a lot appears to have happened in the training match between Nagoya and Matsumoto yesterday. In a game of three halves (45 mins each), the "first team" played the first half with four at the back, Naoshi in midfield and Nagai up front. (Fujimoto and Kennedy were the main absentees.) For the second period Naoshi was replaced by Daniel and the team presumably went to three at the back. Stojkovic has been saying that he wants the team to play both ways, and to be able to switch smoothly. Mid-way through the half Nagai came off - can he lead the line on his own? - and Isomura went on to shore up midfield. Near the end of the second period, the "second team" took over, with Taguchi scoring early in the third period and Matsumoto equalising ten minutes later. More substitutions in the middle of the third period made sure that everyone had a run out. My feeling is that Pixy is pretty conservative in his player selection and tactics, but he should be feeling happier with a few more options this season as younger players grow nearer the level of J1.

12. Owen-za

Owen-za Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Another practice match, this time against Zweigen Kanazawa, sees Kennedy return to the fold - and score twice in his first game back! Tamada and Ogawa were missing, and Pixy played a back four, with Nakamura starting instead of Isomura in midfield. The "second team" played the third (45 min) period, during which Kanazawa equalised and Takahara (young U18 striker newly promoted to the squad) was injured and will be out for the first half of the season. Final score 2-2.
    And so on to the real business with the ACL game on Wednesday against Seongnam.

13. Cashman327

Cashman327 Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Dubai
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Do Nagoya have any fit midfielders for Sunday haha. Danilson picked the wrong time to get sent off. Be good to see Isomura get a chance, I hear he is a talented boy, although I've only see him play 20 mins so I can't judge.

14. Cashman327

Cashman327 Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Dubai
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oh and Nagai's dive the other day was unbelievable. I hope the manager has a word.

15. KATO

KATO Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Manchester
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yeah, it was bad even by AFC standards, angered a lot of football pundits in Australia.

16. Owen-za

Owen-za Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Nagai should leave the diving to Tamada. I mean, that's what he's on the team for, isn't it? :rolleyes:

17. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    take Tamada out of this team and you win 60% less games.

18. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    agreed, one of the most consistent strikers in Japan

19. Owen-za

Owen-za Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Difficult to get evidence for this, since he rarely ever misses a game, but Nagoya certainly win more games when he doesn't take the penalties.

20. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    How would Kennedy manage to get over 10 goals without his penalties ? I agree with you.
    (still wake up at night remembering this PK, Nagoya would already be qualified, pffffff)

21. nipponbasse83

nipponbasse83 Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Ichikawa, Chiba, Japan
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Tamada is king!

22. Cashman327

Cashman327 Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Dubai
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Anyone have an idea on how Nagoya are playing against Cerezo Osaka. Can't find a link anywhere.

23. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  24. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers