The "Messi: the best player in the world. Is it even up for discussion?" thread

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by jfcule, Mar 22, 2012.

1. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    True, perhaps. I don't know how many of these UEFA journalists also have a say in the Ballon voting but, of course, the voting will extend to other parts of the world. I'm almost tempted to believe that Falcao will benefit more from the South American vote than Messi will. The rest of the world, who knows.
    With national team coaches I'm not sure how they view it. The EURO will probably weigh heavily for the European players but how does Messi (and Falcao and even Neymar) factor in? How much will Neymar benefit from Olympic silver?
    For me the national team captains are the most biased. Last year Casillas voted for C.Ronaldo, Ozil and some other LPB player (forgot who). No Messi in his top three. If he were to vote for a Barca player this year I bet it would be Xavi, but there's no way he'll ever put Messi on his list. Others also probably take into account their friendships with the players. Those from Africa and Asia probably vote for their favorite players on their favorite clubs. I remember a few years ago (2009?) one dude had three Chelsea players as his top three: Drogba, Lampard and Essien, or something like that.

2. Fc_Porto

Fc_Porto Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Messi is the best!

3. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Viscaelbarca and jfcule repped this.
  4. Fc_Porto

Fc_Porto Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Club:
    FC Porto
  5. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Which post, here or the Ballon thread?
    How does one know you're being facetious in either post?

Viscaelbarca repped this.
  6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I would suggest to not feed the troll. This guy is trolling that thread, the Madrid forum, and now he is trying to do the same here.

7. Fc_Porto

Fc_Porto Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I see you are a fan of my work. Obrigado amigo

8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Word on the street is that Messi is battling an injury on the adductor muscle and has been playing with pain. It makes sense as he hasn't looked 100% in the first games of the season even though he has already scored 4 goals in la liga.

9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    If Neymar finishes in the top 10 in voting, the FIFA Ballon d'Or is officially a joke!

10. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    ^ Neymar was 10th last year. Can't think his star has been falling since. Can't see Neymar deserving a spot in top 15, but can't see him not making the top 15.

11. barca_boy03

barca_boy03 Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    so are you saying that the Ballon d'Or is indeed a joke?

12. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    No, but I'm saying that it's not that serious of a thing. The voting places roundabout the best players to the top, but there are always some funky results. Different people rate players differently, simple as that. As for Neymar, I don't have a problem with people who rate him in top 15, but it doesn't mean I agree with them.

I don't think it's simply a "popularity contest" but it's not "the absolute truth of how good a player is" either.

13. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    There is no absolute truth when it comes to judging how good a player is. It's all just opinions.

14. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I agree obviously with the first sentence, but think it's not "just opinions" as even though there might not be absolute truth, there is something like "absolute enough truth". Like, Messi is better than Rooney - not absolute truth, but not "just opinion" either.

15. .Azulgrana.

.Azulgrana. Red Card

Aug 2, 2012
    Yeah, but who would compare Rooney with Messi? They're nothing alike and they play in different leagues so it's hard to compare.

16. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    That's what the Balon D'or is all about. Comparing all players and picking the top one for the year.

17. sesmioun

sesmioun Red Card

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    i think they will give it to crynaldo so he can stop crying whah whah whah:p

18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    But he won the Libertadores in 2011 so there was some justification of ranking him high. That's why I say its a joke if he equals or betters that 10th place from last year. It'll prove that the award is nothing more than a popularity contest.

19. .Azulgrana.

.Azulgrana. Red Card

Aug 2, 2012
    I wasn't speaking about the Ballon d'Or though.

20. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    In this case, I don't think they're that difficult to compare. I mean, if they're hard to compare would you need to think for a long time which player you'd choose for your team? Everyone would insta-pick Messi.

21. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  22. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Novelty plates in cars are soooo tasteless lol but obv we don't see the whole numbering in that pic.

23. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, the funny thing about balon d'or is when our fav player get pick we praise the player but when its not our pick that win, we said how useless this type of award is:p

24. barca_boy03

barca_boy03 Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    hear, hear. nothing's ever too empirical nowadays

25. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007