The "Messi: the best player in the world. Is it even up for discussion?" thread

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by jfcule, Mar 22, 2012.

1. .Azulgrana.

.Azulgrana. Red Card

Aug 2, 2012
    Shocks me to see that so many people even care about this calendar year goals record. I'll admit I was a happy man when Messi broke Muller's record on Sunday, but I always had a feeling that doubts would be casted over it. Pele scored 110 goals in 1961 (friendlies included, but still) and I believe I heard about one more player hitting the 90s/100s in a year on goals. There is no official count and it would be unfair on Messi to start expecting him to score 100 in a year or something, it's almost impossible.

I'd rather everyone just move on from this, but I know that may not be possible for some. However, I am not one of those. Messi is the best out there and I hope he remains that way for a long time for his legacy and for FC Barcelona.

celito repped this.
  2. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    It was just a fun little thing (to me at least). Time to move on.

3. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The big difference with all records from those players in classic era is, you can simply show all his goal and its factually recorded and you can see it in your face.

This record actually shows how much he helped the team over the course of this year (without even counting his assist)...plus, this is thread about Messi. There's another thread if you wanna talk about team performance.

4. NYfan

NYfan Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    This is the only thing I'll say about the Muller record - I'm sure we're all kind of tired of hearing about it and I agree with Hendrix that it is time to move on ;):

The reason the record makes sense and is made a big deal of is because the calendar year is the best way to measure total goals scored (club + country). Otherwise, do you add in the Euro/Copa/WC goals to the season before or after? What about in the Western Hemisphere leagues?

It is not a major thing and is not "sanctioned" or marked "official" by anyone so I don't think the people who are pro-Zambia player can really complain as they should have brought that number up awhile back. I do think it would be cool if that player got recognition. But the Messi/Muller/Pele marks belong in a different category as they came in "major" leagues and can stand apart from what happens in other leagues.

EDIT: I read an article about Chitalu after I hit submit and it seems to say that FIFA does record the total number of goals scored in a year. I didn't realize FIFA calculated it the same way. So if that is the case and his goals check out (I guess there is some controversy about that too), then you can pretty much disregard my last paragraph. :oops:

5. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Forget the Zambian guy, it's unofficial, until proved otherwise. Messi has the official world record of goals in a season and a calendar year.

6. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Even if the Zambian player's record becomes official, the European record will always be more prestigious.

7. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Now Messi has more than Muller unless that own goal didnt counted

8. manyfaces

manyfaces Member

Feb 4, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    zahzah and os_mutante repped this.
  9. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  10. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Relax, Zico scored 70 official goals in -79. Somebody just needs to explain Brazilian's the difference between official match, and practice/ exhibition matches.

11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It's because it's not a record people cared about. For all of you who care about this, here is Zico's list for club and country:

http://www.ziconarede.com.br/znrpub/variedade/cadgols/lista_jogos.php?OP=11

http://www.ziconarede.com.br/znrpub/variedade/cadgols/lista_jogos.php?OP=29

12. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  13. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Zico counts unofficial matches as well.

Messi has scored 99 goals this year, including the exhibition games.

Soon we will probably hear about someone that scored 189 goals or something, including youth games, pick-up games at the park, playstation games etc etc.:p

Bojan scored 961 goals with the youth teams by the way, I guess he is also better than Messi :D

14. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yes there are some friendly matches with Flamengo too. One against Barcelona where he scored from a FK. Might have been from one those friendly tournaments.

15. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  16. s7kru

s7kru Red Card

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It was awesome when Messi broke the record, but so what?
    Scoring the most goals in a year does not mean that you are also the best footballer.
    'the best footballer' is very subjective and there are 11 different positions in football.

Despite the fact that he is currently in bad shape, Ronaldo is the best footballer in the world. That's my opinion

17. .Azulgrana.

.Azulgrana. Red Card

Aug 2, 2012
    Thing is though, the way people look at friendly matches as uncompetitive matches in 2012 is completely different from how it was back then. Friendlies were treated as very serious games before the mid 80s or so and it's easy to understand why players count these goals to their tallies like Pele, Zico, and Chitalu have done. Doesn't make them any less important because friendly matches were just as big to every team as a crucial official match would have been. It's not the same these days though.

celito and os_mutante repped this.
  18. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    :confused:

You know what they say about opinions . . .

Messi is the best footballer in the world. That's my opinion :cool:

19. s7kru

s7kru Red Card

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Sure, Messi has some unbelievable skills and will be remembered as one of the players with the best technique skills, but he plays at a team which has 70% bal possession.

Any decent striker can score 40-50 goals a season with so many chances, though Messi is in good shape.

20. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    And CR7 plays with a bunch of scrubs, right?

I seriously doubt "any decent striker" could score 40-50 goals in a season if you just plug them in for Messi. Think about that for a second. 40-50 goals.

21. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is why Paulino Alcantara's all time record of goals scored for FC Barcelona is the only goal scoring record I truly care about Messi breaking. And I'm fine with Messi's goals in friendlies counting towards this.

22. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    When you say "friendlies", you're talking about "International FIFA matches" (whatever the official terms is), right? Are those goals not counted or something?

23. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ronaldo are you so desperate to make people believe you that you register yesterday and try to convince us, dude this is the Barca forum, the los putos blancos forum is below our one

jfcule, Viscaelbarca and Hendrixforpope repped this.
  24. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I don't think he realized that he can't win this debate on this forum. Imagine if one of us went over to the LPB forum and tried to convince them that Messi is the best in the world :laugh:

25. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, that's not true at all, but I get what you are trying to say.