The "Messi: the best player in the world. Is it even up for discussion?" thread

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by jfcule, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Major scoring records equalled or broken by Messi in 2012

12 Equalled most goals in a year for Argentina national team (G.Batistuta, 12 1998)
    14 Most goals in a Uefa Champions League season (R.Nistelrooy/L.Messi, 12 2002-03/2010-11)
    14 Equalled most goals in a Uefa Champions League/ European Cup season (J.Altafini, 14 1962-63)
    25 WR Equalled most goals in a year in international matches (V.Woodward, 25 1909)
    50 Most goals in a Spanish league season (C.Ronaldo, 40 2010-11)
    50 Most goals in a European Golden Shoe (D.Georgescu, 47 1976-77)
    73 Most goals in a Spanish club season (C.ronaldo/Messi, 53 2010-11)
    73 Most goals in a European club season (G.Müller, 67 1972-73)
    73 WR Most goals in a club season (A.Stark, 70 1924-25)
    74 WR Most goals in a year for club (G.Müller, 72 1972)
    82 WR Most goals in a club and national team season (Pelé, 75 1958)
    86 WR Most goals in a year for club and national team (G.Müller, 85 1972)
    283 Most career goals for Barcelona (César, 232 -1955)

That's mental.

2. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Just found this

A brace against Real Betis at the weekend saw Lionel surpass that insurmountable tally and rewrite history in his own words.
    However there are still 4 more goal scoring feats that are yet to be harmed by the diminutive forward.
    Messi chases the Barcelona all time goal scoring record of 369 goals by Paulino Alcantara. The little genius is currently placed third with 305 goals for the Catalans, behind Alcantara (369) and Samitier (333).
    For Argentina, Messi is behind three former legends which include Gabriel Batistuta (56), Hernan Crespo (35) and Diego Armando Maradona (34). The Barcelona forward has so far scored 31 goals for his nation and is well on track to beat the likes of his nation’s legends.
    Coming to the Spanish league, Messi trails the legendary Telmo Zarra, who scored a mammoth 251 goals in the La Liga. The Argentine is currently 9th in the standings and has managed to score 192 goals in the Spanish top flight.
    Another record that the Argentine will be looking to humble is the all time UEFA Champions League top goal-scorer mark. Messi has so far managed to notch an incredible 56 goals for Barcelona in the Champions League and is joint 2nd with former Manchester United hit-man Ruud Van Nistelrooy.
    The only player to have bettered Messi’s and the Dutchman’s mark is Real Madrid legend Raul, who has scored 71 goals in Europe’s most elite competition.

So Messi is not done yet

3. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Pre season/ club friedlies not even counted on career total stats.

C ronaldo is currently the CL top scorer (only 1 goal ahead) , if Messi become the top scorer again, he would be the only player that win CL golden boots 5 x, beating Gerd Muller. Off course Messi is only 25

4. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think overall Argentine scoring record will be the last one of those he will reach. WC (15) and CA (17) are still also reachable, but unlikely I think.

5. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He's also currently clear front runner for European Golden Shoe, for the third time, which also would be a record. And fourth Ballon d'Or. And... it's just mental how much he has achieved for 25 years of age.

6. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    dude he only scored one WC goal so far, I mean by 1986 I scored 7 by that point

7. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    :thumbsup: Yeah I agree, it improbable. But still, you were almost 26 at the point. :) Messi can reach that being about one year older. 1+7(27)+ 5(31)+ 3(35) = 16. Depends what kind of opponents Argentina gets drawn really.

8. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    WC and CA looks unlikely but when it comes to Messi you'll never know

In first 7 years he has 19 goals for Argentina and in all sudden now he has 12 goals in a year. In champions league you'd think 4 goals against Arsenal cant be repeated or at least not that fast, but he did with 5 goals against Leverkusen.

9. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well this year he has scored againts Brazil (3), Uruguay (2) and Germany (1). With 30+ goals already at NT, he must be feel a little less preasure now than year ago where his scoring stats looks bad in NT. Its not depend on who's the opponent but how the team perform cause Messi could score pretty much against any team. Casillas is considered as best goalkeeper today and he scored against him with ease.

10. manyfaces

manyfaces Member

Feb 4, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I want Arg to play England as I will never forgot the 3-2 loss to them in 2005, we got robbed by a pen at the end and then Owen scored at our end

12. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This is being shown on several forums already:

Messi's new goalscoring record ''was broken in 1972''. According to the Zambian FA, their legendary player Godfrey 'Ucar' Chitalu scored an astonishing 107 goals for Kitwe United back in 1972. They are wondering why his goals are not being recognized.

"What we are doing is, we have commissioned an independent team locally to go back into the archives and record minute by minute each of those goals.
    "The team that we have put together is going to calculate all of those goals, recording whichever game or tournament they were scored in, we will then send that to CAF and FIFA so that we can show that, while Messi's record is there, while Mueller's record is there, the actual record holder in terms of goals per calendar year is actually an African, it's actually Godfrey Chitalu."
    http://eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/messi-record-broken-1972-145443536.html

13. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Zimbabwe FA wasn't even accepted to CAF until 1980. :laugh:

14. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Scratch that Zambia FA was accepted 1964.

15. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    also who the ******** is this Godfrey Chitalu

who did he score goals against, shit the ******** about an African has the world record, it is an Argentine so GTFO

16. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    no need to disrespect Chitalu

17. Capt.Tsubasa

Capt.Tsubasa Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    So does that mean Messi needs to score 21 goals in the remaining 3 games now? Poor Cordoba, Atlético and Valladolid... :whistling:

18. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't take those stats seriously at all.. But was that a little racist tone there??

Anyways: on one hand I guess if its a professional organization fifa has to accept the stats.. On the other hand, it's Zambia federation were talking about...

Messi and muller could've scored 500 goals there...

19. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The duration records (career La Liga goals, CL goals, etc) are just a matter of time and health for Messi.

Zambia of all countries tries to rain on Messi's parade :D

20. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    It's especially disrespectful to bad-mouth Chitalu as he died in that tragic 1993 plane crash that killed the entire Zambian NT.

zahzah, condor11 and manyfaces repped this.
  21. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I want to see proof and when I mean proof, I ain't talking about pieces of paper, I mean video footage of all these 107 goals and not some bullshit from some passerby.

People say I am being disrespectful, I apologise if I am cross like that as I don't mean to be towards Godfrey Chitalu BUT why wasn't this said back in 1972. Why now after Messi broke the record, don't try to steal shit from the great Argentine footballing god.

I beat you if those 107 goals were scored by him, Messi probably could have scored 5 goals a match in whatever league that dude played it, if you even call it that compared to La Liga and the champions league

This dude apprently scored 76 national goals, against what countries, was it Argentina, Brazil, Italy, Germany, France, Holland, Spain or even England

22. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  23. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, there's Indonesian player who has alot more goal than Messi at international level
    Yea that's means alot :ROFLMAO:, seriously, some record are just not even worth mention.

Do you even see that record being brought up against Muller record? or Pele?

24. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  25. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club: