The "Messi: the best player in the world. Is it even up for discussion?" thread

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by jfcule, Mar 22, 2012.

1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Interesting to note that statistically this is already his best season, although as a team, this is the most inconsistent of the last 3 seasons.

2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Interesting tidbit about how the physio staff had to work really hard and change their approach after Messi's 2nd hamstring injury. It has really worked wonders.

I also found it interesting that he refused to go down on the field to celebrate the 05 CL victory. I don't recall him being that close to being called up for the Final although I remember everything else pointed out in that video with regards to the campaign including his first goal.

3. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC he was still injured from the Chelsea tie or for sure he would have played in the Final.

4. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did get injured about 25 minutes into the 2nd Chelsea leg but, as the video details, he worked hard to get back in shape and practiced with the full squad on the Sunday and Monday before the final. He was huge for Barca that year and was crushed to not even make the 18 man squad. He admitted to being immature by not celebrating with the team especially after they reached out to him to join them.

To put things in perspective however, 18 person squad gives you only 6 outfield subs (plus the 2nd goalie). And the starters that CL final did not include Xavi (also coming back from a bigger injury - torn ACL) and Iniesta (not yet a starter though he logged more game IIRC than anyone that year), nor the game's heroes: Larsson and Belletti. Sylvinho and Motta were the other two outfield players who made the squad. Sad Messi did not make the squad but all 3 substitutions were tactical: Iniesta for Edmilson at half time (van Bommel slid from Attacking MF to DM for 15 minutes); then Larsson for van Bommel at 61 minutes - needed the equalizer; then Belletti for Olegue - also more attacking.

Xavi never even got in, was not that sort of game, not like 2009 when Muniesa got to bask in the glow as a late sub (and it was Hleb's turn to sulk not even making the 18 man squad).

5. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, I didn't know that he trained with the first team prior to the Final. I can see why tactically he was left off (although at the time Iniesta wasn't quite INIESTA) but surely FR was also making the tough but correct decision not to risk their young prodigy needlessly?

6. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    It's from last year but this thread wouldn't be complete without it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMSFkGYdooo"]Lionel Messi 'Oh My God!' (USA vs ARG 2011) Original - YouTube[/ame]

7. footie101

footie101 Member

Feb 15, 2012
    California
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pele is out of his mind

I know that the debate between Messi, Maradona, and Pele is controversial especially for people who grew up watching Pele play. But for Pele to say that Neymar is better than Messi is just ridiculous IMO.

Pele says Neymar better than Messi

8. Don Nurilio

Don Nurilio Member

Sep 28, 2009
    E u r o p e
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Re: Pele is out of his mind

Old news.. Pele is realizing Messi as a threath to his legacy, that he uses every opportunity to discredit his achievements.
    Ridiculous old man :/ ..

9. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Well I have to agree with Romário.

"When Pelé shut up he is a poet" :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHDuKIgP89k"]Romário Falando do Pelé - YouTube[/ame]

10. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago
    I saw Dr. Know saying Messi has 40 of Barca's 59 goals in 2012? That's a ridiculous stat. Amazing player.

11. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you do with this? According to Soccernet, Messi has taken 242(!) shots in the 11/12 campaign. Second place? David Villa with 60.

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    No question the team has been more dependent on Messi this year to score goals.

13. Mysterious

Mysterious Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Chicago

IMO, this is due to the fact that Messi is Barca's first and many times only option. Most build ups will ultimately end on his foot. Without any true strikers to gobble up a lot of attempts or a great deal of speculative shots from others due to Barca's patience and discipline this should be expected.

14. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the other forwards have had injuries this season or the shot totals would be closer. At least a little bit.

And it would be one thing if Messi took all those shots but when you consider that his assist totals are also pretty high it's mind boggling.

15. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Messi the ball hog.

No no, I'm not talking about the number of shots taken. I'm talking about those balls he collects from the referees after netting hat trick after hat trick. Damn ball hog is what he is. ;)

16. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    A slightly more accurate stat would have shots per minute played, but still... astonishing figures. Also surprising is Villa is still #2 despite being out for all of 2012. I would've though Alexis or even Xavi would have surpassed 60 shots by now.

17. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the part that had me going, whoa. Soon someone will pass Villa, probably Iniesta, but it's crazy that it hasn't happened yet.

Note to other teams: your game plan should have been to stop Messi. Oh wait, that was already your plan going into the game? Ouch.

18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Cesc must have a pretty good goal:shot ratio. 17 goals with under 60 shots(?)

19. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

Maradona responds:
    "My God, that is just stupid. Maybe Neymar is the best player in the world, but only if you say that Messi is from another planet."
    lol

20. MavadoDribblez

MavadoDribblez Member+

Feb 7, 2008
    Ontario
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

Yeah didn't Pele say that in the lead up to the Club World Cup? Ridiculous. He must have been bored and wanted his name in the headlines again haha.

21. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

speaking of pele , this fail reminded me of him :D

[​IMG]

22. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Oh it's true, I did say that ;)

23. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Cmon guys, Pele watch soccer match once every 4 years

24. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    So... 72 Goals this season and still going...

25. Don Nurilio

Don Nurilio Member

Sep 28, 2009
    E u r o p e
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Just saw this:D
    [​IMG]

jfcule, Viscaelbarca and puyol repped this.