The Medal Count

Discussion in 'Olympics' started by riverplate, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    It's ridiculous how many gold medals China has. The US is more equally represented on the podium though.

2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mod note: Keep this thread on topic about the olys. While the CL is a fair comparison, you guys are taking it too far off topic.

3. I-Got-The-BLUES

May 1, 2006
    Orlando, Florida.
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    [roykeanes_safc]That's just dumb.....if one country won 1 Gold medal, it means that country was the winner in one event.
    If a country won 20 silver medals, it means they are losers 20 times over!

Silver simple means your the 1st loser![/roykeanes_safc]

4. I-Got-The-BLUES

May 1, 2006
    Orlando, Florida.
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    :rolleyes::
    3000m final, the leader of the pack is a lap ahead of everyone and only has 50m to go, by your reasoning -- since ONLY Gold matters, and Silver and Bronze promotes crap, the rest of the pack should just walk to the finish line then right? Since there's absolutely no reason for them to continue competing.
    Because people like you don't want to see people breaking their neck to finish 2nd or 3rd.

5. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Erm obviosly not, there will still be Personal Bests and Country Records to aim for.

Do you think footballers keep World Cup runners up medals, Champions League runners up medals or Premier Legue runners up medals?

I bet the ones that do are the footballers that have won very little in their career. Trophys and medals are for Winners not Losers.

6. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So would a team that reached 5 world cup finals but lost each time be more impressive than a team that has actually won it in their only appearance?

I think a lot of people dont understand how the top 1% of athletes in any sport are special because they are the best. It takes that extra something to be the best which isnt easy to produce. To suggest a number of second or third places finishes equates to one first place finish is wrong.

7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But you are suggesting that a country like, say, Bhutan that sends 1 athlete and gets one gold, should be ranked higher than S. Korea, or Portugal or Norway simply because S. Korea, Portugal, or Norway didn't get as many golds?

Again, I go back to my earlier comment. The scale should be done on points - either 4,2,1 or 3,2,1. To reward gold primarily rewards countries like China and Australia that have government sponsored programs to train Olympic athletes and hurts those countries that don't (I would say Netherlands or UK, but I don't know if they have government sponsored programs).

8. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We (Italy) are failing miserably, lots of unexpected debacles in sports where golds or at least medals were considered a given.

I must say I'm impressed by Great Britain, they surely are preparing themselves the right way for London 2012....great program in track cycling.

9. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I know is the US has the most medals, and is second in Gold behind China. China though, wins medals that no one cares about like Womens Air Pistol. WTF???:p

10. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The most pathetic excuse for an Olympics 'sport' has to be f*cking trampoline. Why in the hell is that in the Olympics? :rolleyes:

Equestrian is up there too.

11. I-Got-The-BLUES

May 1, 2006
    Orlando, Florida.
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Firstly, losing in the World Cup is in not always comparable to getting Silver or Bronze in the Olympics, it all depends on the situation.

Secondly, in response to no one remembers who finishes second.....Richard Thompson who won silver in the 100m final and nearly had a heart attack after his celebrations.... tell that to Trinidad & Tobago, whose papers were covered with Thompsons picture.

Did you watch the 100m hurdles? Did you see how Australians Sally McLellan reacted to her SILVER? Yea, she definitely didn't care her 1st losers medal. And I'm sure Australia is disappointed she didn't get gold

Benjamin Boukpeti of Togo? Winning the first medal in his countries history?.....in KAYAKING!!!!!...But meh....he got Bronze, forget him.
    [​IMG]
    (Can you really compare ^^THIS^^ to say, France accepting their runner up medals?)

Although the Olympics is about WINNING, and winning the Gold, by having only a Gold medal, you kill a lot of the special moments, memories, and emotions in the Olympics.

12. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Roykeanes_safc wouldn't be talking shit about silver and bronze medals if he actually won one.

13. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, what a ridiculous sport. Sport is actually being kind to it. This is like rhythmic gymnastics. Keep baseball and softball and get this crap out of here.

14. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Great post!!! Richard Thompson was going crazy, and he had every right too. He at least made it a race the first 50 meters, him and Bolt were ahead of the pack. Bolts top speed though is redicuolous. Anyways, great post. Rep coming your way.

15. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You've had sucsess in the shooting

[youtube]w_st7SgTjjU[/youtube]

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I don't agree that it "promotes crap". Many of these olympic athletes sacrifice their childhood to be supremely good at some athletic event. They deserve some reward even if they make one slip-up at the key moment and finish second or third-best.

So I like the Gold-Silver-Bronze idea for the olympics. Although it would be inappropriate for the Champions League or most other competitions, it does work for the olympics. But obviously any ranking system that equates a Gold to a Bronze is stupid and probably just done to fool people.

Same here. Although I could *live* with some second-place teams qualifying just to round-out a 32-team field.

How do you know that CFR Cluj is crappy unless you give them a shot in the qualifying stages or group-stage of the Champions League? Just because they're not a big named club and don't attract glory-hunting tossers like Brasil and Barcelona do, doesn't mean they are rubbish. Two Romanian teams reached the UEFA Cup semifinals recently.

17. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Who is remembered as more impressive, Holland or England? And Holland lost just two finals.

18. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    To replace baseball.

19. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    erm is this a woosh, England have performed very similar to the Dutch in the past 20 years, how are the Dutch considered more impressive, they have done nothing to get this tag.

20. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No offense but those athletes countries apart nobody really gives a toss.

21. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    United States: 26-28-28 82
    China: 45-14-20 79
    Russia: 13-14-18 45
    Britain: 16-10-11 37
    Australia:11-12-13 36
    France: 4-12-14 30
    Germany: 11-8-9 28
    South Korea: 8-10-6 24
    Japan: 8-6-9 23
    Italy: 6-7-7 20
    Ukraine: 5-5-8 18
    Netherlands: 4-5-4 13
    Canada: 2-6-5 13
    Belarus: 2-3-8 13
    Cuba: 1-6-6 13
    Spain: 3-5-2 10
    New Zealand: 3-1-5 9
    Romania: 4-1-3 8
    Poland: 3-4-1 8
    Kenya: 2-4-2 8
    Kazakhstan: 1-3-4 8
    Jamaica: 4-3-0 7
    Denmark: 2-1-3 6
    North Korea: 2-1-3 6
    Brazil: 1-0-5 6
    Czech Republic: 2-3-0 5
    Switzerland: 2-0-3 5
    Azerbaijan: 1-2-2 5
    Norway 1-2-2 5
    Slovenia 1-2-2 5
    Bulgaria: 1-1-3 5
    Indonesia: 1-1-3 5
    Hungary: 0-4-1 5
    Uzbekistan: 0-2-3 5
    Armenia: 0-0-5 5
    Slovakia 3-1-0 4
    Georgia: 2-0-2 4
    Zimbabwe: 1-3-0 4
    Turkey: 1-2-1 4
    Ethiopia: 2-1-0 3
    Finland: 1-1-1 3
    Sweden: 0-3-0 3
    Austria: 0-1-2 3
    Greece: 0-1-2 3
    Lithuania: 0-1-2 3
    Taiwan: 0-0-3 3
    Estonia: 1-1-0 2
    Mongolia 1-1-0 2
    Thailand: 1-1-0 2
    Argentina: 1-0-1 2
    India 1-0-1 2
    Mexico: 1-0-1 2
    Algeria: 0-1-1 2
    Colombia 0-1-1 2
    Croatia: 0-1-1 2
    Kyrgyzstan: 0-1-1 2
    Serbia: 0-1-1 2
    Bahrain: 1-0-0 1
    Cameroon: 1-0-0 1
    Panama: 1-0-0 1
    Tunisia: 1-0-0 1
    Chile: 0-1-0 1
    Dominican Republic: 0-1-0 1
    Ecuador 0-1-0 1
    Malaysia: 0-1-0 1
    Portugal: 0-1-0 1
    Singapore: 0-1-0 1
    South Africa: 0-1-0 1
    Trinidad & Tobago 0-1-0 1
    Vietnam 0-1-0 1
    Afghanistan: 0-0-1 1
    Egypt: 0-0-1 1
    Iran: 0-0-1 1
    Israel: 0-0-1 1
    Latvia: 0-0-1 1
    Morocco: 0-0-1 1
    Tajikistan: 0-0-1 1
    Togo: 0-0-1 1
    Venezuela: 0-0-1 1

22. Awareness

Awareness New Member

Jun 3, 2006
    Leiden
    Club:
    AZ
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    England's population: 50.8m people
    Hollands population: 16.4m people

Enough said.

23. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Gotta feel a little sorry for France, 30 medals and only 4 golds ouch! Cuba will sweep up the mens 110M Hurdles and much of the boxing.

24. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What if they had made the last three WC finals, in addition to the two they made?

Actually, my example was 20 silvers compared to one gold, so the closest example would be for the Netherlands to have made every single final since the WC started. Would you still consider England's single win more impressive?

25. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Holland suck. Bottlers.