The Lucas Thread: Best DM in the Premier League

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Cody667, Nov 27, 2011.

1. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    i think a small silver lining here could be that the injury will keep the madrids, citys and barcas from trying to pilfer him in the summer... then, hopefully, we'll have CL football and no one will be able to prize our top assets away, again...

2. AnyLuckForEngland?

Jul 10, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, we'll likely next see him play at the beginning of the 12-13 season.

Crap.

3. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  4. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    feel guilty now? ;)

5. oikos

oikos Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Glastonbury, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Spearing will be a good replacement for Lucas. Someone mentioned an earlier post that Spearing is not as good a passer as Lucas, but last year the more he played the more effective his passing became. I think Spearing may be better than Lucas going forward. I still hate losing Lucas for any amount of time however based upon the replacements available, I don't think it would be as devastating as losing Reina or Suarez IMO.

6. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    one thing that spearing does very well is ask for the ball and then move it quickly. the passes might not be as incisive - but they are directed at pass - move - offer for pass that KK wants.

that had been a qualm of mine about Lucas last year - but he completely stepped it up late in the last season and all this season.

I think we will survive - but as noted - the goals must start flowing.

7. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Never thought I'd be this gutted at losing Lucas :(

8. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I find entertaining is the number of posters who claim we can't survive without Lucas who also thought he was shite and should be sold 6-12 months ago

1 person likes this.
  9. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    And where is the inconsistency in those views? We're supporters. We're fickle, non fact-based and insane. And its our God-given right to behave this way.:cool:

10. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    remember when purslow tried his hardest to get rid of him to make room for poulsen?

11. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's strange, but when I saw Lucas in the starting lineup, I had a bad feeling, like he might not make it through the game. He's been so durable throughout his career and invaluable last season and this.

Hope Jonjo's stepped his game up since he's been w/ Blackpool. The only game I've seen him play where he's impressed me was his debut against Napoli. He's got promise but he's incredibly raw.

I have a lot of faith in Wee Jay, and I'm excited that he's getting an opportunity for an extended run of games because he is a very solid player who will greatly benefit from time on the field. Really feel for Lucas and wish him the best.

Let's hope it's not as serious as predicted and that he has a speedy recovery.

12. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well I think an official statement from me is anticipated here. I must now answer to all the critics blaming myself for creating this thread 2 days before his injury, and here it is:

"Lucas is obviously a member of the BigSoccer forums.:D"

That's it folks, for the next 6 months we shall determine which regular on this forum is actually Lucas Leiva, then harass him for not responding like we wanted after the creation of this thread :p

13. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there official word on the injury yet or is the 6-9 months still a rumor?

14. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing official other than a generally reliable poster on RAWK. Guardian is reporting scan hasn't been done but they probably guessing like everyone else. General concensus seems to be its not good. Would they bring Jonjo back if it was weeks not months? Doubt it.

15. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly, Grinner is Lucas. No one has ever defended him more vehemently, and he has really dodgy joints. ;)

16. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I'm out of touch but what is the latest on Gerrard?
    Last I heard he'd picked up an infection. What sort of infection following surgery can keep him out this long, Gas Gangrene..?

17. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Hmmm...The real Lucas WOULD accuse someone else of being Lucas :eek:

1 person likes this.
  18. jeffcoop

jeffcoop BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The moment for me was when Lucas took a knock on the ankle and had to go to the sideline for a few minutes: I was yelling at the screen: "You have a two-goal lead, it's only the Carling Cup, he's your second or third most important player, he just played a hard 90 minutes 48 hours ago--for G-d's sake, take him out!" He went back in. And minutes later he was on the ground with a knee injury. Sigh.

19. drobny23

drobny23 Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    We haven't had a world class gobbler in the middle until, really, this year, in the man of Lucas. Before, Masch was gobbling up balls in the midfield, freeing his co-midfielder to wander without the ball ending up in the net. Lucas covered all sorts of Charlie Adam sins. He was around to pick up the trash when Gerrard was wherever he was (that time he played once). Lucas' timing really improved of late, and his confidence/recklessness was brilliant, and I suppose an injury was inevitable at the rate he was fearlessly pillaging.

It's time for Jay Spearing, but we're going to have ask the other midfielder to play bit closer. I'd prefer we not change tactics, and ask Jay Spearing to grow up as a footballer, strap on a vacuum and motor around the pitch. Require he have a yellow, or pee in his Cheerios, and give him the foul mood/edge an effective consciousless DMF needs.

20. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Do you know what i find entertaining the amount of people who are overreacting to the Lucas injury before we've even played a game without him or had a few games to compensate for his loss. Probably the same fans who fought the season was over after a couple of home draws.

Lucas is a grand player but lets not overreact about his injury till we've played a few games without him. Last season are best run of form happened with Agger, Gerrard and Johnson injured, lets have a liitle faith in the King and Clarke.

21. Kawklee

Kawklee BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 30, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it might be a flesh eating bacteria. They're hard to kill and quite nasty.

but its quite odd that it went from a groin infection to an ankle infection.

22. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Yeah, and if it's the same leg (I'm assuming that it is) then we can't be rushing him back. Inner-body infections are extremely serious, there may be something wrong in that leg, and you have to be careful when treating whatever it is. The extremes in these situations include amputation and even death when not treated properly. It's therefore in everyone's best interest to make sure this infection is gone for good before he plays again.

23. AnyLuckForEngland?

Jul 10, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Basically my source said, "hearing ACL but not a rupture." If he does rehab, one thing. But if he chooses surgery he is out 8-12.

24. ghazi

ghazi Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Chicago
    NOt sure why people are suddenly raving about Lucas' passing this year. It's been among the best on the team for 3 seasons running. If I were KK, he'd be the first name on the team sheet every week. Gutted he's injured.

But I'm not despondent. Spearing is extremely underrated in my opinion. He's tenacious, our best of harasser of the opposition and is an underappreciated passer of the ball with both feet. He's also CONSTANTLY running into open spaces to receive passes and ease pressure. Smart brain in that little head of his.

I"m stoked to have Jonjo back, as I have felt he has all the tools to be an incredible midfielder in the Stevie mold. With no Aqua or Raul to keep him out, I really think he could blossom by the end of the season and prove his worth. He's the youngster i've been the most excited by in years.

Charlie's been playing better every week (especially defensively) and Spearing was half of the CMF tandem that dominated Man U, Man City, Arsenal and Chelsea last year. With KK's master tactics and motivation, is there any team we feel we cannot beat? YNWA

25. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Well...I was in the Chelsea area when Lucas injured his knee at approximately 9pm.

;)

1 person likes this.