The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by ProfZodiac, Jan 3, 2005.

1. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I'm all for it. It would be a perfectly gentle way of telling fans in San Jose, "Now, we'd rather be in SF because the market's bigger and the name's more glamorous but we simply can't afford the rent".

2. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    My take is that "The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" translates to "The The Angels Angels of Anaheim" and a hispanic like Moreno ought to know better. Or something.

3. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It's simply gotta come down to the fact Morona wants to incorporate an LA into the logo somehow and knows that would increase merchandise sales.

4. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    The guy is obsessed with usurping the Dodgers as THE team in Southern California.
    He'd done a fantastic job until now by signing marquee free agents to a team and winning with them. He should have anticipated a stronger backlash at changing the name of the team to something so envious. The Dodgers are doing a good enough job of sending their fans down the freeway to him, he really should have just kept on doing what he was doing.

5. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    As much as I hate the Angels, the funniest thing to me (as a Giants fan) would be if this actually worked.

6. Joe Stoker

Joe Stoker Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Stokerland
    Hey, I thought of a couple of winners from long ago...

During WW II, to remain alive, the Steelers merged with the Eagles for one season, the Cardinals for another... first it was the Phil-Pitt Steagles, then simply Card-Pitt. In baseball, there once were the High Point-Thomasville Hi-Toms (North Carolina).

This Angels thing is a marketing classic, though. Kinda like the people who make up the work rules for your job, but have never really worked your job. :rolleyes: