The Long and Winding Search for Olmes Garcia (Bienvenido Olmes!)

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by ShaggyReAL, Jan 31, 2013.

1. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dave doesn't go with the bucket of KFC. His go to meal is the KFC Famous Bowl.

2. Bulldog SLC

Bulldog SLC Member

May 4, 2012
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pulease! That might work in New Yawk City, but that crap don't fly that close to the Mason Dixon line!
    :D

3. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    KFC chicken bucket makes the INS paperwork go 'boom'

jessyca and SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  4. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think it might have to be a Maverick gas card instead of KFC.

5. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A bucket of KFC is kind of the same thing. The Colonel's chicken gasses me up like the Hindenburg.

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So almost all other MLS clubs announce signings and they add at the end of the press release "contingent upon reciept of international certificate". Why can't we do that?

15 to 32 repped this.
  7. GoRSL

GoRSL Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    47.615587, -122.200340
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    KFC makes 2nd Mouse go 'boom'

jessyca and SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  8. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because our FO is smarter than that. Things can - and have in the past - fallen apart with nothing but the ITC left to go.

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand that line of thinking. But how many times have we heard of it failing for other MLS clubs? I guess RSL is just cursed.

10. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
  11. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. Luke Rogers wasn't allowed a visa last year, make NYRB scramble to get someone to pair with Henry. Personally, I'd prefer that RSL doesn't announce a player and then have the ITC nix the deal.

"RSL is pleased to announce the signing of Jared Borgetti." - @garthlagerway. 2/5/13 at 12:32 pm

"Just kidding folks! Borgetti won't be joining RSL because the ITC sucks!" - @garthlagerway. 2/8/13 at 2:05 pm

Having my hopes raised about Striker X, and then smashing them with a hammer a couple days later? No thanks. I'll just wait for everything to be finalized.

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Yeah...okay. I guess those are extreme examples, but it seems clear that possibilities of f-ups exist, even if they're unlikely. What does RSL lose by waiting to have the certificate in hand, besides slightly* easing the angst of some of their most obsessive fans?

*No matter who joins the team or when they're announced, I'll personally be stressed until RSL has MLS, Rocky Mountain, US Open and the CCL cups in hand, and even then, I'll probably still have a few doubts about the roster.

d1ddy and I_Believe_In_Kreis repped this.
  14. Bulldog SLC

Bulldog SLC Member

May 4, 2012
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll form a support group.

15. RSLEast

RSLEast Member

Jan 26, 2008
    East?
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Wait. Isn't that exactly what this forum is?

16. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll create a separate support group within this forum/support group.

17. STGCaveman

STGCaveman Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Brigham City, UT
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew it was just a matter of time! Guess sometimes it takes a couple of years but I knew Borgetti would come around. (selective reading) ;)

18. Bulldog SLC

Bulldog SLC Member

May 4, 2012
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And he's still younger than I am!

SoccerPrime repped this.
  19. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    This is the more important issue. The ITC is typically a real formality, with the few exceptions pointed out above.

Having dealt in the past with visa issues, you realize that each one is it's own situation and often it comes down to the individual examiner reviewing the file. It's also possible that the examiner will do research on the net and if the team is bragging about them bringing in a new player who doesn't have a visa, they may use that against the club.

In addition, the US immigration process is biased against Colombians. Remember Jamison Olave? He joined the squad, and trained with them when they were in Argentina for preseason that year, but couldn't come back with his new team as they resumed preseason in Florida. As I recall, he received his visa just prior to the start of the season.

20. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugh, I'm just sick of all this bullshit. This whole off season has been one giant circle jerk with no happy ending. Round and round we go, it's going to be one long ass season.

21. elrey

elrey Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    You guys need to take a chill pill. If they do sing a new striker, we won't get to see him may be till next week in Arizona.

22. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, the whole US immigration process is biased against everyone except Mexicans and Chinese. They get their green cards in realtively short times, but everyone else has almost 10 year waits. Hopefully, when immigration "reform" gets shoved down our throats, this little problem will be taken care of.

Who am I kidding? This is the gub-mint we're talking about. Whenever the gub-mint tries to solve one problem, it creates two new problems.

Boz repped this.
  23. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I fully expect a striker signing soon, of that I have little doubt. What I doubt is how much the player will really be a solid #2 striker, ready to be a starter. I truly expect Sabo with either Findley or Plata come March.

24. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would you expect the new striker to be of such a low caliber? After shedding so much cap space early this summer, where did the bulk of that money go so far? Findley, Plata?

25. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because I have low expectations, so now I am not disappointed.

As for the cap space, they needed to shed to just get under the cap. Its not like they have a million in space just waiting to be spent. My guess is some of that space or the allocation that we got from NY will be used to purchase the "new" striker.