The Lone Ranger (2013 version) [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Goodsport, Aug 13, 2008.

1. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Cool! On that review, I'll go.
    I thought the effects I saw on the trailer were pretty good.

Goodsport repped this.
  2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad to hear (read) it. Have fun! :thumbsup:

Created by Industrial Light & Magic, MPC and Lola Visual Effects. :)

-G

3. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile

I saw it Wednesday night and TBH it was OK. The special effects were great. The script less so. Like Goodsport said, it slowed down in the middle but picked back up. It could have ended 30 minutes earlier but kept going. The twist in the plot I saw ten minutes into the movie. A couple things I didn't like:

• Johnny Depp was used a lot to the point of having to carry the movie. Tonto was a watered-down version of Jack Sparrow.
    • Armie Hammer and Johnny Depp play Abbot & Costello meet Pirates of the Caribbean meet the Wild West. Except not as funny.
    • The running gag was Lone Ranger's mask.
    • Tonto's English reminded me of the old SNL skit with Frankentein, Tonto and Tarzan. When you actually had real Comanches on the screen, it was painfully noticeable.

4. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    So...Were you entertained? Did you feel you'd wasted your money?

5. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile

Hard to tell since I didn't pay. It was entertaining as long as you overlook some obvious plot holes and enjoy it for what it is. I wouldn't have paid to see however.

6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Every Johnny Depp movie is a Johnny Depp Movie. I hit my lifetime quota a decade ago. I can't imagine seeing this under any conditions, not even on a transpacific flight when it's the only film showing.

8. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    You know. I really feel sorry for you people who just can't relax and enjoy a fun movie for what it is.
    You'd rather put on an act, pretending to be some sort of snobbish pseudo intellectuals. Force yourself not to enjoy the movie, then try and spoil it for others....whether you've seen it or not..!!!

A group of us went out for some Mex and a movie last night and had a really good laugh. Try it sometime. Laughing I mean, it could change your life. :D

Goodsport repped this.
  9. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Just screened this at my buddy's house who had a copy. It was alright, but sort of tedious to get through, but I think I'm mostly just tired of Johnny Depp.

10. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Johnny Depp doing The Johnnie Depp show is not everybody's idea of fun.

I did enjoy Armie Hammer as the Winklevoss twins. Do I get points for that?

11. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Tell you what guys.

Next time you see a movie on with someone you don't like.

Just go and watch something else and spare us...:)

I know what you're saying. I used to hate George C. Scott. for a similar reason as you dislike Depp. I couldn't see the movie because of him. So I stopped going to his movies and spared everyone around from listening to me carp about it.

12. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Here's where I like to go before I'm going to force myself to not enjoy a movie then try and spoil it for others...

[​IMG]

Belgian guy and usscouse repped this.
  13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL

But we like to hear you bitch.

14. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Of course you do...:)

Translate. I never saw it but 'trust me' it's a crappy movie..:D

15. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Not sure if I'll see this one, but even the bad Johnny Depp movies are rarely so poor due to his performances.
    He did as well as could be expected in the Pirates sequels considering the material.
    If you can blame him for anything, it's his continued insistence to sign on to them, but then if someone throws 20+ millions at you to keep on playing a pirate, what are you going to do?
    And I found Dark Shadows eminently watchable (even though I know I am part of a small minority with that opinion).

16. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You may not like it, but being a bomb is part of the story of The Lone Ranger. And you have to accept it, because it will have a impact on the movies you seem to like. The big studio Western is dead. Remakes of things only 40-year olds know about are not far behind. And Bruckheimer will have to find some other studio to financially ruin.

17. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    It was insane to pump that amount of money into a western to begin with.
    If the Western has a life at all in modern day Hollywood, it's as a 15-50 (max) million dollar project.
    And I say this as someone who absolutely loves the genre.

18. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I wasn't talking about just the Lone Ranger. (Which I enjoyed) I was talking about people who just don't know how to enjoy a movie. Who are just so much cleverer and more sophisticated than everybody else and only their opinion matters. Regardless of the genre.
    If I comment on a movie, it's simply my opinion. Nothing else.

As for. "because it will have a impact on the movies you seem to like" The last movie I posted on the Movie thread was, "Salmon Fishing in the Yemen" about as far from the lone ranger epic as you can get.

19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Welcome to me at a beer thread.