The Lee Chung-Yong Thread

Discussion in 'Bolton Wanderers' started by Sons of Thunder, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sp...rticle5502827.ece?token=null&offset=12&page=2

21 year old Right Winger, 180 cm tall. He's been playing for FC Seoul since 2004 (when he was 15/16) and is currently a starter on the first team.

Here is a clip of him in action. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdmXHExdV8o"]YouTube - The Boy's a bit Special: Lee Chung-Yong[/ame]

Sometimes it's hard to tell which one he is lol, but I think he is a good solid addition to your team. Lee is a very exciting and dynamic player; I think his signing is in line with Megson's desire to transition Bolton into a more pleasing team to watch as opposed to their current reputation as a bruiser team.

2. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: 2009 Summer Transfer Window

Looks like he couldn't hit a barn door with a cow's arse.

3. TheDuke

TheDuke New Member

May 15, 2009
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I'm a Chelsea fan actually but, my gf is a Bolton supporter. There are some interesting and curious deals undergoing your team like Ricketts, Davies and Robinson which should keep the team stable. I've heard about some rumours about Dagano who in my opinion is not really good enough for you and isn't really the best option to strengthen Bolton's attack, even if he is a free-agent player. There's also this thing about a korean winger, who in my opinion is too light, lacks strength and technically has to improve a lot and we've already seen too many of these korean-kids here in EPL coming, and they keep coming although except for Park of ManU, are not good enough. Must be some move just to land and seal some sponsorships and that's what probably these guys are useful for, so if I were you I'd try to close a loan deal as for the pricetag I've seen just now the deal is closing, you guys could have bought a winger like Holtby which was bought by Schalke 04 who is really damn good, who had expressed his dream to play in EPL. Hope then at least the player comes in with some sponsor to cover the cost.

4. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

May I ask how you came to this conclusion when most of the clips in that YouTube vid feature Lee passing the ball to others?

Why do I keep hearing this same sentiment over and over? It is true that there are many Man Utd fans in Korea, and Park has certainly played a big role in that. But no casual fans are ever going to follow a team like Bolton just because they have one Korean player on the squad. The 'marketing' perspective only makes sense for teams that are actually, oh I don't know, marketable.

5. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Mainly because most of the Korean EPL players have sucked bigtime. But hey, it sold kits so its ok.

6. TheDuke

TheDuke New Member

May 15, 2009
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Well guys, I know how it works with some teams as I have a friend who works in the football business, and he told me this ages ago. European teams want players from Korea, Japan, China etc. only if they come covered with some sponsorship deal which practically at the end, pays them immediately back the entire operation. It's hardly possible that any European team doesn't do this, with this interest. This is the truth although you can believe me or not, and this friend of mine knows a lot of things on football deals and how they work and told me this when it comes to land asian players. Also Park from PSV to ManU, for example, one of the most exemplified moves of an asian player in the last years, was done in truth with ManU having warantees from some korean sponsorship deals which financed the operation, otherwise they wouldn't, and it's the truth, have signed the player although he did really play a fine Champions League tournament that season with PSV. That's the reality for Asian players, they are extracomunitarians, the places are guaranteed to South American or African players, and Asian players have to auto-finance themselves through various sponsorship or marketing deals in order to be able to come to Europe. This doesn't mean that they have to be official sponsorships but, they can come on with minor deals or various other formulas. It's something every EPL club is attempting to do, to build up more marketing operations on foreign markets, and don't believe it is only limited to selling jerseys, there's much more than this. Also 2 or 3 other EPL clubs have attempted this summer to land some other korean or japanese player of unattested value but, the operations haven't worked out also because these clubs wanted to build up marketing operations, and that's the principal reason they were interested in these transfers.

7. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

And a couple of misses when he should have scored. This signing has Daniel Braaten MKII written all over it. He's clearly in the 'one for the future' category untofrtunately we don't have a good record with those types of players. :(

8. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

We signed Akinori Nishizawa in 2001 and that was considered a cynical marketing ploy, funnily enough so was the signing of Nakata. But then again Allardyce could have made Nishizawa the first Japanese player to play in the Prem and he didn't so who knows.

9. TheDuke

TheDuke New Member

May 15, 2009
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Although these transfers might have been approved by a board and some director, that doesn't often reflect a transfer which a club's manager had personally demanded. A club manager is often limited in proposing a list of players he'd need for the season, and then it's up to the team's board in deciding what players should arrive, some giving more weight to the manager and his opinions, other times it's the club president or some director which picks the players he reckons to be most useful by himself. My impression is that Nishizawa, Nakata and now this korean, were all like you say, marketing ploy attempts. No manager ever expresses a negative opinion to the press for any new signing (have never seen that ever in football), he has to be diplomatic by all means, as if a manager is stupid enough to criticize a club's new signing, it means he's criticizing the club president or the director of the team which has concluded the signing. As Bolton is spending quite a lot of money, I hope at the end the transfer will result fruitful to you guys but, I strongly doubt the player is good enough for EPL, and it's most probable the korean could fit better at Championship or League One level.

10. JL104

JL104 Member

Jan 29, 2006

I am really curious as why you would think he's not good enough for premiere league. if you think he's coming in for marketing reasons, fine. He's asian, so its understandable that you ignorant racists think all asians support other asians even if they are from different country.
    I will even go and say its probable that the sponsorship did have a big influence on Lee Chung Yong going to Bolton.
    But how in the world would you know that he is not fit for EPL? have you seen him play other than maybe 2-3 games in national team? have you ever seen any of his club team games? or are you basing all your opinions on the highlight clip provided? or are you basing your opinion on 3-4 sentences of an English writers who also has absolutely no idea how Lee plays?

If Lee plays terrible for several games, I can understand you saying he's not fit for EPL. But i am very curious as to how you can make such an assumption right now without seeing him play at all.

11. TheDuke

TheDuke New Member

May 15, 2009
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

It's really most of all my gf and her family which are Bolton fans which are very puzzled by this move and they take it as being another mere attempt to land some marketing move. I can deduce you must be asian and a probable TV fan who doesn't look at football from a european perspective and from your comment, it seems you have no idea of the level of european football and how asian football is below to the standards, and way behind to south american, african and can also say, north american football, of which these are leagues off from european football. Would you be convinced by an Asian player who has no attested experience in European football, should have probably started some leagues below, or gone to some less important leagues like in Austria, Belgium or Czech Republic, so to see how he copes playing there first, rather than throw him into a lion's den, a guy who has no idea what he's going to face and experience? This Lee has no experience of European football which is completely at a different standard, and this guy looks too light in my opinion and he needs to bulk up his build by a lot and should have chosen a european league which is less tougher on a physical prospect of the game in order to be able meantime to build up some build. He's coming directly to the top European league, no experience, and we've seen how other korean players coming directly from Asia have coped here. To me they have all failed except for Park. If Park hadn't begun in a less important european league like the dutch one, and had gone straight into EPL, he would have failed too. You cannot consider the level played in asian domestic football with that one of any european league, it probably is about the level of some 3rd or 4th division league of some countries here in Europe, and I had in past watched some matches of korean and japanese championships and the level is tremendously low. I believe the best option was to get the player on loan but, I guess for marketing reasons they needed to get the player to close some deal. Sorry but, for me the premises is he isn't going to be great and most probably, will pick a lot of injuries all the time with the risk for you of not having this guy in top conditions for the next World Cup in South Africa.

12. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

The above situation only applies to clubs with a Director of Football and even then it's more of a continental thing. It's very, very rare for a manager of an English club not to have the say on who's signed. In Bolton's case the manager has 100% control on the signing of new players.

I don't think the signing of this Korean lad is a cynical marketing ploy, as it doesn't really work for clubs like Bolton especially if the the player doesn't play. Megson has seen something in there that he thinks we can use, or may be able to use in the future.

13. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Like who? Given the way the media ignore us I'd be extremely surprised if anyone outside of Bolton fans has expressed an opinion of the signing.

14. JL104

JL104 Member

Jan 29, 2006

I am sorry but it seems you have less perspective on comparing two standards. I watch EPL regularly and also watch several k-league team games. Of course, k-league an EPL can't be matched but saying that its near the level of 3rd, 4th division league is just ridiculous. Top teams of k-league can easily compete against mid to lower tier EPL teams. The k-league teams aren't exactly deep due to small population of players but the top teams such as FC Seoul and Suwon aren't pushovers.
    Like I said, i don't care if you start berating him when he's doing bad on the pitch but the fact that you are already dismissing him as a player without watching him at all is pretty sad.

15. TheDuke

TheDuke New Member

May 15, 2009
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

It seems you have no idea of the standards. Have you for example ever followed some matches of African football? Seen Al-Ahly, Coton Sports, Asante Kotoko, Hearts of Oak or Zamalek just to name some and the level of the CAF Champions League which is way above that one of the Asian equivalent competition? They play a much better soccer on all levels for example in respect to any asian teams but, one cannot reckon these teams better than any mid-table team in a top division in Europe. So what you're stating seems absolutely nonsense to me. Do you for example believe that for example, BATE Borisov, a team which competes in winning its internal championship, and is of the level of a low-standing EPL team, would for example lose in a proper match against FC Seoul or Suwon? If your comparison goes on behalf of friendlies played on some asian tour that you've watched, the European teams simply don't face these matches seriously, while on the other hand, asian teams are more motivated in order to show something. Put it there's an important cup title or a rich prize like if there's a greater goal difference in the match, the team and players gain more prizes and bonuses, and you'll start seeing humiliating defeats. I had watched the match of Manchester United and FC Seoul some years ago, and you could see that at a certain point, Manchester United didn't want to hinder too much the opponent and the gap was enormous, and not even the bottom team of the EPL would have shown such weakness, so please stop stating things which are far from real. What about all the korean players which came to EPL, have all except for Park failed? I bet they were leading and probably the best players of the korean league but, EPL is completely at a different standard and not all came to top tier teams rather a good number of them in lower level EPL teams, and were finding a hard time even to collect presences, as the level is way way higher in respect to korean league football. What do you expect, football in Asia has a tradition which doesn't even make it over 30 years while in Europe its completely different. And don't underestimate League One or League Two football of which I'm sure you probably have never even seen some of the best teams of these leagues play one single match, otherwise you'd change your mind on what you've written about. Take Leeds United for example, I'm pretty sure if they played a match seriously against FC Seoul or Suwon, these korean teams would be up to quite a challenge, especially in attempting to stop a talent like Fabian Delph, which in my opinion, teams like FC Seoul or Suwon don't have in their rosters a player as good as Delph which has attracted the genuine interest of teams like Arsenal, Manchester United and Newcastle of which Newcastle had made a bid in past of about £6 milion pounds which was rejected, as Delph is considered of vital importance to Leeds United. Does FC Seoul or Suwon have a player worth the value of Delph who plays in Leeds United, a League One team?

16. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I imagine that the pread of quality of the Korean league must be akin to MLS in that each team will have some players who are prem/CCC standard and some who are League 1/2/Blue Square Premier level.

17. TheDuke

TheDuke New Member

May 15, 2009
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is finally a post which makes sense. I'd say it's quite a hazard stating there could be some EPL material there at present but, it can come out in the next years and I'd say a few Championship, some League One and Two and the rest like you've stated is something roundabout Blue Square Premier. Quality like you state is not even and what asian teams in general strongly lack, and it's their most evident weakness are the lack of good players in the middle. The players which seems less wicked are players revolving in roles like RB/LB/RW/LW, where they show good work-ethic, stamina and sufficient speed but, it's when you get to see players in other roles placed in the middle of the field, where you see the major weakness of these teams. I'd say you can find some quality for Championship and League One on RB/LB/RW/LW roles, and all the rest shows to me to be League Two or Blue Square Premier level. I had seen one year ago some matches of both the Korean and Japanese National Team, and each one of them had one central midfielder embarassing to watch, never got the ball or was able to intercept it, was just hacking the opponent with indecent elementary fouls to watch, of which the opponents didn't really appear to be that good either, and it was a miracle that the referee wasn't sending them off. But what was worse was what you saw from the pair of central defenders of both teams, which seemed most of the time confused when they had the ball on their feet and amongst themselves, were pretty slow in setting up the defensive line, didn't seem not that great on a physical level and were very slow on some occasions. There were also some strikers from both teams which were really embarassing to watch, weren't capable of posing any sort of variation to their gameplay, their technical qualities seemed mediocre, had difficulty controlling the ball while running and some stopping it properly, were running too linear and a decent defender of League One or Two, I believe wouldn't have had too many problems stealing the ball from these guys.

18. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  19. pourmood

pourmood Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Obviously the standard between the Premiership and K-league are miles apart, but that's not the point. Your belief, Duke, on European teams signing Asian players probably have some validity, but the precedent is that the player must 1) have potential, 2) are capable, and 3) appears good enough to fit for their respective squad.

While it's true that some Koreans have failed in the EPL, most notably, Lee Dong-Gook (middlesborough) & Seol Ki-Hyeon (Reading), a lot of other players fail as well. What about Shevchenko? Great player that played for a great league that failed miserably in the Premiership. What about Berbatov? Great player who played in the same league that did average at best at Old Trafford. Players failing to adapt has a lot to do with its ambiance, their level of confidence, etc.

The reason Park is successful in the Premiership, is not limited to the fact that he had European exposure, but also because his mentality as a player is hard to match, not to mention his extreme work out regime in rehabilitating after serious injuries, learning a foreign language, and adapting to the league's style of play.

20. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I wouldnt say Seol failed miserably. He was ok in my book. Same with Lee Young Pyo.

LDG sucked though. As did Kim DH for West Brom.

I think the EPL will keep signing K players until they do fit bc there is a good resource there that hasnt been tapped completely. Lee CY needs to put some meat on his bones, Ill give you guys that but he's a surpisingly physical player for his size...not that thats going to help him too much in the EPL but the mentality is certainly there.

Kim Dong Jin for Zenit should be in the EPL as he is a superb defender.

Maybe some minds will be changed as this season moves forward.

21. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He kicked Beckham, that's good enough for me.

LCY may be on the bench for today's game against Sunderland.

22. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Hopefully he'll sell a few shirts over in Korea and well get back his transfer fee. He seems to have a fair bit of skill but my only doubt is his intelligence, we'll see that in the coming weeks.

Also who the hell is Daniel Ward? I come back from Morocco and we've got this lad in the Sunderland squad.

23. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Do you have any idea how many shirts you'd have to sell to recoup £2 million?

Danny Ward is an academy player, Megson played him to make a point to the board about his 'lack of funds' :rolleyes:

24. BoltonMassiv

BoltonMassiv Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Bolton
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    I guess the 1-0 loss to Hull was a point aswell. Megson makes some very good points, if only the were in the league table. Ginger ********.

25. Ganahal

Ganahal New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    y does white peopels think slap Lee Park Kim on shirt of no name EPL teams sold milions of pound worth shirt in Korea?

I never see Bolton shirt Korea, I just saw ManUre shirt

Lee Chung Yong aint gona sell shirt uness he play.

i'm not socer industry so i dunno marketing agreeds of team and sponser, but best sport marketing is win. teams that win marketing is ez, teams lost marketing is imposible. and for win u gotta buy good player, not "marketing" player