The latest sedition of, Fox News actively makes you stupid

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, May 23, 2012.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    You forgot Veterans Day

2. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    And Super Bowl Sunday when animated Clydesdales pay their respects.

cleansheetbsc repped this.
  3. Ties5o11

Ties5o11 Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with your assessment of Chris Hayes and his comments being out of context, but the left does this to right wing commentators all the time. O'Reilly, Hannity, Rush, etc are always being vilified for comments taken out of context.

4. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Occasionally. But mostly they get vilified for their comments taken completely in context...

Dyvel repped this.
  5. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No worries at all and thanks for being so stand up. The truth is my response was a bit brutish as well and in turn I extend the olive branch back to you. The outrage machine that you mention in reality works both ways. As someone that had identified as a Conservative for some time now I find that I disagree with about 98% of what the far right or even the closer right goes on about but in turn I find the extreme left to be just as off kilter. We've become a country that lacks a clear middle ground anymore.

Whether or not a fallen soldier is by definition a hero is honestly irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. The issue to me is that for such a sharp guy he completely seemed to be oblivious or uncaring of how those that are and have grieved feel about the word in regards to their reality. Does that make sense? For some the only positive feeling they have during the grieving process is the the thought that their loved one was right honorable and brave. True or not as human beings we should just let them that. It's doing right instead of being right.

To the two bold comments I'll start with the bottom one first. From what I posted just above this I clearly disagree with you. I can only offer my opinion from the perspective of two families I am close with.

With regards to the first bold part, I agree that heroism is a discussion well suited for Memorial Day. Discussing acts of valor is one thing but trying to define who's worthy of that accolade on a day of remembrance is bad form. Timing can be everything.

I've been in the middle of a huge project so I haven't been able to enjoy it yet. The only two days I've taken off in the past month ended up being the two days we had those big rains. Needed the rain bad but still. Scotch is on the schedule for later this evening. Cheers!

As I stated to HH, I do think there is a middle ground and it is something worthy of discussion but the timing was poor in this instance.

I guess it all comes down to how they view or define what a hero is to them. Shit aren't suicide bombers looked upon to many as heroes?

Really? From the perspective of this Gulf War / Panama veteran the word hero is about the person and has absolutely nothing to do with approval of a war or righteousness. Righteousness in combat? I'd like what you're smoking.

That sounds pretty scary:eek:

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll bet you're talking about when he wrote that white Southerners had the right to defend their culture through violence.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's easy to forget that Rush was the real victim in the Sandra Fluke controversy.

8. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    First, I'd replace "the left" with "the mainstream".

Second, O'Reilly, Hannity and Rush often sound worse in context - their one-line pullquotes are often innocuous when you don't consider the big picture.

9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Rush mocks a woman, calls her a slut, advises her on how to live her sex life. Hayes mocks nobody, insults, nobody, advises nobody.

That's not equivalency.

That Phat Hat and NER_MCFC repped this.
  10. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see some examples of Rush having a quote pulled and taken out of context and hammered with it. Or Hannity. Or O'Reilly.

11. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Why, God? Why???

Why did I have to click the "Show Ignored Content" button?

If I lead a more righteous life, O God, would it be possible to put the Show Ignored Content" button on my ignore list, too?

HouseHead78 repped this.
  12. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Atonement my friend, atonement. You're that much closer to heaven now.

13. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh oh... someone might realize that Fox News isn't journalism and is actually the PR wing of the GOP?

14. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    If anyone ever attempts to dispute this fact direct them to the portion of foxnews.com called 'Fox Nation' This is the part in which the partisanship has not even the thinnest of disguises. It is where they still allow reader comments (having eliminated such on the main pages) Here is a sample of todays 'hot headlines' on Fox Nation.

'Police Academy star rips Obama' Yes, Steve Guttenburg is the lead today. (linked from creditcards.com)

'Obama pal Tony Rezko speaks from prison' No word on George Ryans thoughts

'Fast and Furious' No, not that, thats just to keep the name in your head. Its a story about Michelle Rodriguez in a bikini

'Another Dose of Sickly Economic News Weakens Obama's Reelection Odds'

'Trump destroys Anderson Cooper'

15. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    [​IMG]

Can you believe it? Media operations promoting ideology!

Video here.

16. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    He has truly become a parody of himself. He wasn't half this bad 10-12 years ago.

17. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    If watching Fox makes one stupider, then working there must be worse yet.

18. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
  19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    "According to multiple Fox sources, Ailes has issued a new directive to his staff: He wants the faces associated with the election off the air -- for now. For Karl Rove and Dick Morris -- a pair of pundits perhaps most closely aligned with Fox's anti-Obama campaign -- Ailes's orders mean new rules. Ailes's deputy, Fox News programming chief Bill Shine, has sent out orders mandating that producers must get permission before booking Rove or Morris.

21. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Murdoch can't even get his mother's age right!
    [​IMG]

Well, he corrected the typo a few minutes later and seems like she was a pretty nice lady. RIP.

22. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    But her Aussie hoo-ha spawned Rupert. Guess it's a push.

23. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
  24. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire