The Klinsmann Coaching thread, v1

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by bungadiri, Dec 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if they are facts. They are his vision of what needs to be improved with US soccer.

Here's the challenge I think I have: a lot of what he talks about is less core to his central job as USMNT coach. Now I understand when we hired him he wanted to have input in other areas. Totally get that. And his experiences abroad can help with that for sure.

But the article makes it sound like our players, in particular the ones in MLS, are lazy meatheads. Now I'm exaggerating, but that's what gets my hackles up.

Last I checked our group of players tend not to be incredibly arrogant and don't believe they are better than they actually are. And they work their asses off and are incredibly dedicated. It's a charactertistic that describes Americans in general - it's part of our culture and what we value. Okay, forget the waxing lyrical stuff, it's also traits that are used to describe our team a lot by other teams. It's what makes other top teams respect us, even if we are not on their technical level. We are also known to be incredibly fit already.

His attitude when he talks about our players thinking they've won it all when they get in an Adidas ad, or players thinking they can check out for 4 months during MLS vacation (it's not actually 4 months even for players not in the playoffs) I find condescending.

Combine that with having motivational speakers come in to tell me how to rip up phonebooks...well, I find him arrogant.

The quotes about LD and Clint Dempsey exhibit that. Say what you want about those players, but they have worked their asses off. Not only on the pitch, but elsewhere. And his reaction to that, to kinda poopoo that because they aren't playing CL is a bit arrogant in my opinion.

Not everyone has to follow his path. Yes, he is creating champions, but champions on the national team don't have to play at the top 4 EPL clubs or the top club in the Bundesliga. Now do we want to aim for that, sure. Of course. I'm not saying that we want to aspire to mediocrity. But there are many ways to be a champion **on the national team**. I don't consider Everton a "run of the mill" team - but Tim Howard is a prime example of someone who I consider a great GK, but someone who doesn't play for a CL team (might change this year!).

Clint Dempsey got to where he is because of Clint Dempsey. Not because of Jurgen Klinsmann.

I'm proud of our accomplishments in the short amount of time we've had. I don't think we are an "also-ran" in world football. I think we are a growing nation that has done a *hit ton to get to where we are. It would be nice of Jurgen to recognize that once in awhile then telling me we have a national league where players check out for 4 months, a superstar that deigns to play in MLS, and a player who went to Spurs because he finally got a push.

I'd like to understand from Jurgen how he expects to win the Gold Cup and how he expects to perform through WCQ in addition to his thoughts on we change our mentality in the US.

That's why I found that article arrogant.

I'm not saying I want to fire him or I find him clueless to be clear. Just that I found that article off putting.

FLSoccerGran, StillKickin and Adiaga Two repped this.
  2. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I agree with your overall sentiment, there are many ways to achieve success. It doesn't have to be Jurgen's. I hope he allows for that.

3. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no problem with him describing what needs to change in the system. I have no problem with him challenging and attempting to inspire our players. It might not be his actual job, and I wish that he would say less, but it's fine. Whatever.

I DO have a problem with him calling out the best players on the team. Even if he's right that guys like Donovan, Howard, Deuce, and/or Bradley need to challenge themselves at the highest level there is a fine line to walk between encouraging them and insulting them. While I don't think he's outright insulting them I think he should lay off the commentary on our very top players. These are the guys that every other player should attempt to be and he should be praising them and pointing to them. They are his prized stallions. As they go, the team goes. If our entire team was full of Donovan, Howard, Deuce, Bradley we would extremely dangerous.

4. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    No offense (I respect your posts and mostly agree with your stuff), but I think you're the type of fan that is complacent with our teams success.

He makes good points on how our fans don't demand enough of our NT players, neither does the press, and this is partly a reason why guys get happy playing in MLS. There's nothing wrong in JK's opinion of that. JK said he knew doing well in Germany wasn't the pinnacle if what he wanted in his career. That's why he decided to go to Inter at 24. He wanted more out of his career, than playing at Stuttgart. This is how all professional players should be (hungry, always looking to jump to the next leevl).

I agree with his vision on how our players always have room for improvement.

LouisZ, vaquero28 and BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  5. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that comes across at all. If he were complacent I don't think he'd be posting this much.

This is all very true and I'd add that if there was a larger fanbase and the media demanded more then, more importantly, our scouting and coaching across the board would be much better. This would have an immediate impact on the quality of our players.

Again, he's not saying anything earth shattering. We all know what it will take to produce better players and more of them. He can talk all he wants about it. I don't care. As long as he's getting the job done.

vaquero28 repped this.
  6. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Just from reading his post, he seems more like a coddling mom trying to talk down a harsh coach about not being able to see the success of players who may have never played at the highest level, but do well enough to contribute to the USMNT. (Berks, I love ya dude, and hope this doesn't come off as too harsh).

I disagree, that we should be asking for 'whats next' when it comes to our best players.

Yea, this isn't earth shatter to guys on BS, but it is to most of the media who don't follow soccer as much, or the casual USMNT fans. We need to demand more of our top guys, without that pressure, and understanding, our guys will never truly feel the 'burn' for slacking off.

vaquero28 and BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  7. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For whatever reason you are choosing to interpret the article that way. There is really nothing new in that article that JK has not been saying since he took the job.
    1) Players need to constantly challenge themselves, there is always another level.
    2) We need more players at the CL level
    3) The MLS needs a longer season

If you think that article was arrogance you must not have ever heard Coach K from Duke, Sabin at Alabama, the zen master at the Bulls and Lakers and just about every NFL coach!

Statman, Katreus, vaquero28 and 2 others repped this.
  8. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not a coddling mom and I am not complacent about my national team. Just because I don't tell my players the only way to succeed is to demand Bayern or Spurs does not mean I don't want to win a World Cup one day or be incredibly successful. That is BS.

What I am is someone that recognizes that a person can drive themselves to success in many ways. And that I want a diverse set of talents to contribute to the national team - no matter where they play. That doesn't mean I reward Alan Gordon for tying his shoes on the pitch. Pushing for excellence can be in so many different forms.

I am also a heavy Sports fan. I am an MLB fan and an NFL fan. My team - the Niners - is led by someone who is harsh - Jim Harbaugh. But he is also incredibly motivational. There is a difference between being harsh and being an a-hole. Leaders that lead by inspiring, including coaches in sports, are the ones that succeed the most. You can be a hard-ass without being a jerk.

And imo, that article rubbed me the wrong way. I hope he's inspirational in camp and wish I saw more of that in these articles rather than the same old article telling me about how my nation's athletes don't push to be the best.

Part of that is the media's fault and I may not be seeing behind the scenes how Jurgen is inspiring the troops. So far in the quotes from players I haven't seen it. I hope it's happening. And being that there's no sense of mutiny, sounds like it's happening. Wish I'd hear more about it rather than the apparent 4 months of vacation MLS players take.

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  9. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really appreciate that because that was not my intent at all. I am very cognizant of where we are as a nation.

You know it's funny. I also support the Turkish team. And more so than the US, boy could they use what Jurgen is talking about. You want to talk unfit, feelings of complacency and play beneath their combined weight? That's them. That might be in my head too.

10. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. And if they get pissed off, he loses the team. Hope he recognizes that.

11. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann is God himself, how dare any of you question him!

:sneaky:

12. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this thought:

Grant Wahl@GrantWahl
    Klinsmann is a smart guy, so he knows if he demands more scrutiny of players, he'll also have to prove he's worth $2.5M a year as coach.

Marko72 repped this.
  13. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, this is what bugged me most. As I said in the other thread, Klinsmann saying "Dempsey hasn't done shit" made me think it was an Onion article or something.

As others have said, its not necessarily that he's wrong, but is this the right approach? Maybe this is the common way players are dealt with in Germany but I'm curious how American players react to this kind of "Disappointed Father"-type motivation.

14. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure guys like Dempsey, Bradley, Donovan, and Howard are the hardest working players in a pool of already extremely hard working American players.

I mean that's how the U.S. has been described for the past 2 decades: Hard working, tireless, incredible work ethic, etc.

I don't have a problem reminding the young guys of this stuff, but already established players? Meh.

15. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly - in particular by their club coaches. Can we talk more about how we could improve in other areas? I'm tired about hearing about the same stuff he mentioned a year ago. Not that I expected change overnight, but how are we flipping going to qualify???? Don't tell me it's just having a "champions mentality."

FLSoccerGran repped this.
  16. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if it makes a difference but JK is considered very much a player's coach. Here is a recent example from Wondo

The US head coach contacted Wondo just before he named his squad for matches against Antigua & Barbuda and Guatemala and informed him he was opting for other forwards instead, including Seattle striker Eddie Johnson and his own San Jose teammate, Alan Gordon.

“He just kind of broke it down to me and told me what his thoughts were and why he was bringing in this guy or that guy,” Wondolowski told reporters on Thursday at his official MLS MVP presentation. “I appreciate that. I know that I still have a lot of work that I need to continue to get better at, but he made it seem very positive and [that a call-up] is out there, it’s attainable.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/11/30/wondolowski-klinsmann-says-im-still-usmnt-plans

None of the quotes in the WSJ article will alarm any of the guys on the team. They have heard them directly from JK many times before during many camps!

Its the WSJ for gods sake. It is just part of the general outreach to non-soccer casual fans. Why are you even alarmed by those quotes?

sXeWesley and Bolivianfuego repped this.
  17. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really like that Wondo example. Want more of that stuff.

And I wasn't alarmed, just posting my opinion about the content.

18. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He wasn't calling out Dempsey at all he was encouraging him.

Why are some of pretending to be so daft?

These type of comments are made all throughout sports.

19. yankeeRoyal

yankeeRoyal Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann can't lose. If Jurgen's methods produce a WC quarterfinal he will take credit and most here and around the globe will agree. If we don't even make the World Cup.....Jurgen will blame the players and the same worldwide majority will agree.

The coach's thinking seems to be that mediocrity is unacceptable in everyone but himself. Heavy sigh.....this isn't going to end well.

FLSoccerGran repped this.
  20. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the context is pretty different.

21. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. You don't know the context, none of us do.
    2. Klinsi isn't an idiot who would insult players.

Stuff like this in an encouraging manner all the time in sports. Common sense prevails here.

These guys are athletes, they deal with immense pressures everyday, they don't need to be coddled when encouraged, especially our players, who seem to be very comfortable with mediocrity and not striving to be the best(this doesn't include most national teamers but too many MLS players fall into this category).

Statman and Bolivianfuego repped this.
  22. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I meant the context of the league's development and the status of the players. Not what Jurgen is actually doing in camp.

I also said I don't think Jurgen is stupid. (though I think the Clint Dempsey comment is insulting)

These guys are athletes, they deal with immense pressures everyday, they don't need to be coddled when encouraged. They also don't need to be told they aren't working hard repeatedly when they are busting their ass.

Why is that saying an inspirational statement or two or even praise is "coddling?"

And I vehemently disagree with this. Playing in MLS does NOT mean you are comfortable with mediocrity. I'd like you to tell that to Dwayne Derosario or Juninho or Brad Davis.

23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I wonder how JK would be received if he were to say that there nothng that he can do to improve soccer in the USA because the season is too short and he was not hired to improve USA soccer therefore he sees no reason to change anything.

24. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which American players (or fans) seem very comfortable with mediocrity?

Berks and deuteronomy repped this.
  25. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps JK didn't take it kindly that LD didn't give him the courtesy of a person to person meeting but did for the MLS brass.