The Klinsmann Coaching Thread v.3 N&A Edition [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by dark knight, Jul 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Violence is America. Diving is Europansy.

Dirt McGirt, MPNumber9 and y-lee-coyote repped this.
  2. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    When do we think the pre-camp rosters for the next camp are coming out?

Full expectation of Klinsmann bringing in his pool of 30ish players for that roster right? (I thought I read that somewhere)

3. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    repped even though you mispelt(sic) Murrica by gawd!

4. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Day after Euro seasons close.

5. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I actually think MLS is a 'rougher' league than the EPL.

deejay repped this.
  6. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann gets a free pass no matter what happens. He has a lot of things going for him, not being American is one of them.

Instead of a he put Rico Clark here or wrong defenders there, it will be ________ (insert player's name) fault.

I will be fair, and acknowledge how much more difficult this group is compared to 2010 but I don't like the contract extension before the cup. It bothers me more than a 3 and out and then re-signing him.

Highest paid coach in US soccer history and Gulati himself said the expectations are the usual get out of the group then go from there.

I don't think 4-4-2 diamond is permanent from last friendly but we're here counting the days and the backline is still a mess and we're still trying to figure out tactics. Those friendlies, back in 2012, 2013 instead of not using all his subs and going for the win, more experimentation should have occurred.

If the team makes it out of the group he deserves his contract but US soccer "revolution" from his hiring in 2011 is all empty rhetoric.

I'm interested to see if we'll defend and counter attack, almost have to since we won't have the ball. Don't have the players to play possession soccer, come back in 10 years.

One final note, I do think he needs to blow up the backline after the World Cup. With importance towards the Gold Cup in 2015 I understand hold overs but it's time for the dead weight to go. The team needs a big overhaul.

deuteronomy repped this.
  7. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1257 Spursfan1, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2014
    Jurgen be a godsend. He has done a pretty good job.

Never lost to mexico...love it.

[haters reference deleted by mod]

8. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Fire Garber and Gulati and hire Arsene Wenger to fill both spots. :thumbsup:

Time to get serious.

9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The rumors of Arsene Wenger being replaced at Arsenal persist. We could hire him to replace both Garber and Gulati as a soccer Czar. He is a pretty serious guy and we could use somebody like that.

10. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Wenger is going anywhere unless he retires, but I would definitely be on board hiring him.

11. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    If by some wackadoodle miracle occurred that Arsenal and Wenger parted ways and he wanted to manage or TD the US, I would hope that Soccer House would move heaven and earth to buy JK out of his extension and just give the same deal to Wenger.

Wenger's actually accomplished all the things JK talks about.

Marko72 repped this.
  12. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley rushed a shot and could have taken the lead if I'm not mistaken? Brutal match to lose, as I remember it -- they created the chances and deserved to win, but couldn't put it away. Maybe a re-watch would clear up my hazy memory but that was my take away at the time.

This is going to be US expectations for a more than a few more cups into the future.

If he gets out of this group, he deserves a raise.

US couldn't get Moyes to coach here, let alone Wenger. What are you guys talking about.

13. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Your recollection is dead on, imo. We had a bunch of great chances; Bradley's rushed shot (he could have also played a pass far post for Clint to have a tap in), Jozy had two clear chances, Benny had one great chance. Average finishing wins us that game.

14. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    you get the feeling based on all the call ups and coaching changes that while 2014 is important, JK is really looking at 2018 and a final in Moscow.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  15. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Yep, we created the chances. We put so much effort into getting the tying goal and then so much to try and get the win in regulation that I knew another 30 minutes would be difficult. We really needed to, and should have, put the game away in regulation.

16. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    it would be pretty awesome if they got Moyes in as a special assistant or something. No better way to regain your reputation than helping lead victories against portugal and ghana.

17. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Klnsmann's latest accomlishment, that our pathetic soccer journos are crowing about, is "recruiting" the Arsenal reject Zelalem who has flown all the way from Europe with his Daddy to apply for some weird citizenship just so he can be eligible for USMNT duty. Gosh, doesnt Arsenal have a game Sunday? Who cares, it is time to for Klnsi to get Arsene Wenger on the horn and boast of his great prowess at boosting the share value of Arsenal share holders' value at the expense of the gullible fools in US Soccer fandom who are paying his $3m salary.

We cant fire this fool soon enough - after the World Cup, of course.

18. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sort of agree.... it is about as physically minded as the EPL, but often more poorly controlled. Whether this is due to the referees not knowing how to contain physical aggressiveness, or whether control in physical aggression requires a talent our players have less of, or whether the coaching doesn't concern itself with how to achieve a balance with physical aggression and respecting the flow of the game and the health of players, is an open question.

19. futbal4eva

futbal4eva Member+

Jan 3, 2010
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    OK...now you are mad that a kid paid way more than the MLS average salary by Arsenal who is now eligible for USMNT, and his dad, got US citizenship per the laws of the land?

How is that weird?

And since when is Zelalem an Arsenal reject? He's playing with the U-21 squad.

Yeah he's not starting with the 1st team; but he just signed his first pro contract a couple months ago; and you're mad about that? OK; yeah I guess it would be terrible to have a young player at Arsenal getting schooled by Wenger; when has he ever helped groom young talents?

As to 'fool'- I presume you mean Klinsmann - potentially recruiting EPL dual national; well, I need not say it. ; )

Statman and aveslacker repped this.
  20. StlDon

StlDon Red Card

Sep 17, 2013
    KCMO
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why does everything for you have to be part of some conspiracy theory? Why can't you believe JK is merely trying to do his job as good as he can? In order to perform all the duplicitous actions you attribute to him, he'd have to be a near genius. And yet, if he does have special intelligence, it's probably for marketing. The genius is Gulati for hiring a man who is willing to talk BS 24/7 in support of soccer in the US, and then getting the media to follow him around like puppy dogs. Your venom should be directed towards the gullible soccer media is this country, not toward one intelligent enough to take advantage of it. Even more gullible are those that believe the US soccer media actually understand what happens on the pitch.

futbal4eva and aveslacker repped this.
  21. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    John Harkes slept with his wife.

22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Excellency comes across as excessively harsh, and more emotional than logical, but he's one of the few around here raising his voice about a very serious issue.

We brought Klinsmann in part of "rebuild" our youth system, so that WE could start producing top-notch young talent in the coming years. So far, the evidence of that happening is nil. While we're importing talent developed in other parts of the world.

No matter how you twist it, it looks like JK is doing more for the German program than for the American one. Now, the German youth have more opportunities than ever: if they see their chances of making the German team as poor, they have a fallback option.

It's not nationalism or personal hatred of Klinsmann. It's just plain and simple false advertisement. We got promised something, and we're getting something VERY different. Right now it's unhip to criticize Klinsmann for it. That only makes such criticism more necessary than ever.

Just ask yourselves this simple question: how many young players in development by the system have become a part of the NT since Jürgen came here? How many young guys who have been part of the U-23/U-20 in the last three years are now entering the National Team scene, from the system JK is supposedly 'renovating' and 'improving'?

23. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First off, you can't revamp a youth development system, then churn out the fruits of your labor within a 3-4 year time frame. Try more like 10-15. And that's if we hired a number of experienced technical coaches for the youth levels, which a) we haven't and b) it's not Jurgen's fault no one is willing to come forward with the money for it.

Second, where were we ever promised we'd pump out "top notch young talent" in time for the 2014 WC?

Frankball, CTS26, Statman and 2 others repped this.
  24. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Actually that's not true. He was brought in to take us to the quarter final; secondary objective: recruit dual citizens.

CTS26 and futbal4eva repped this.
  25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Again, more excuses. Right now we're seeing fewer than ever guys in the 18-23 range, developed by the American system, taking part of the USMNT camps. In the friendlies, how many YOUNG players being developed by the US system has JK used in actual matches? How many minutes?

Where are the equivalents of Altidore, Bradley, Edu, Spector, Davies, etc.?

Frankball repped this.