The Klinsmann Coaching Thread v.3 N&A Edition [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by dark knight, Jul 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #1226 IndividualEleven, Mar 12, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
    Good passer, good ball winner, good positioning, poor lungs(doesn't get on the ball like Osvaldo Alonso, Bradley, or even Rasta).

2. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He most certainly was.

3. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    against SK, we left the top of the key open, as usual. Jones is poor as a DM for USMNT. Bradley is not a defensive force, he does not have the physical/mental make-up as a DM for our team. He needs to be further up the pitch and not have to beat it back on every turnover. Mix? Ha, no chance. Beckermann? Slow molasses. Who else? I have argued for Cameron in the midfield and would love to see him as DM, but it is not going to happen, apparently.

Edu is the only other option.

4. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Probably Edu finds his passing feet in MLS like he apparently did in Turkey. My assumption is this Stoke/injury experience was a hiccup in his automatic call up status, and now we resume regular service.

5. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For what it's worth I don't believe Edu was the reason we lost to Ghana in the round of 16 in 2010. IMO he and the entire team played well in that game and were unfortunate not to at least get to PK's.

Of course our player pool (and Ghana's) has changed since then...just sayin'.

EruditeHobo, CTS26 and Editor In Chimp repped this.
  6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I agree, the team played well, and Bob only made one (in hindsight) glaring mistake, by starting Rico --should have stuck to the Mike-Mo in the middle against African teams, because Algeria also had pace through the middle. The general game-plan was good, exploiting their weaknesses while keeping them honest out of fear of counters.

I'd say that Ghana team was stronger than the one this year, too. Their talent was better distributed. This time around their best players are all in midfield, but in 2010 they had a very solid defense, with Paintsil and John Mensah at their peaks.

7. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I once had a brief discussion with another fan who claimed to be "in the know" that Bob's hands were tied in terms of who started the Ghana game and that Rico was not the planned starter. Take that as you will. I can't/won't elaborate further on it.

deuteronomy repped this.
  8. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I'm not trying to bait you into elaborating, but I cannot think of a single entity or person who would give a damn about Rico Clark starting or not starting. Not Nike, not USSF...unless it was the players themselves. Which makes no sense.

9. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Could be an influential family member/friend. Happens more often than you would think. (the irony...)

10. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have very little information on it. The person I talked to claimed to be connected to a VERY good source and said Rico wasn't originally supposed to start. Then something(s) happened and he became the starter by default.

I don't know anything else.

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  11. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Huh.

Nothing better than behind-the-scenes intrigue.

12. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will guess I will have to ask someone else about the grassy knoll, then.

13. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    @Jeff Bradley ?

14. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
  15. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    You know my style - of course I'm asking that. When I have ever missed an opportunity to try to be funny?

However, the @ allows Jeff to enter the fray and comment - if he dares.

Editor In Chimp repped this.
  16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starting to think that someone is reading someone else's tweets:

17. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    ttrevett and Belgian guy repped this.
  18. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is correct. although I never played against him he used to register under a pseudo name.

19. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Damn! I am sure it doesn't hurt that the majority of folks in the EPL/Europe tend to wear screw ins.

You don't see that much in the US--most players tend to prefer molded which don't have as much 'bite'.

20. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I've got notches on my shinbone from screw ins.

21. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    much debated about how much jurgen does with youth. U18 coach says Jurgen is heavily involved.

22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    So... when are we going to start noticing any improvements in the youth program, then? 2018?

23. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure the U-17s who are 15-16 now and have been in Jurgens system have done this over the past year.

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2014/04/07/19/08/140405_u17mntvmne-and-sarajevo

They are in their third straight tournament title game and are playing better and better. The style tempo and quality of play has increased for our youth sides. We shall see how it continues over the next few years.

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    They won the tournament, which is nice. But beyond beating Montenegro, Sarajevo, and Bosnia in the final (4-1, by the way, with 2 goals from Haji Wright and 2 from Christian Pulusic), what interests me is the qualification for the U-17 WC.

Next year is their real test, in the qualifiers.

25. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I agree with Klinsmann about MLS needing to protect players more. MLS is one of the more thuggish leagues around and what do we see our officials taking a firm stance on? Diving. We don't give a crap that we beat players into the ground and continually see teams place more and more emphasis on physicality and brute force than skill, but we're obsessed with eliminating even a hint of diving. Ridiculous.

DiscoWarrior11, Bolivianfuego and chad repped this.