The kickass BBQ recipe and bucket list thread

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by VFish, Mar 21, 2011.

1. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    The mackerel is uncooked and presumably never frozen. I buy it once in a while and just broil it. It tastes good, but tends to be a little too rich, especially when I eat too much of it.

Trailer food has become a lot more popular in Austin (and apparently many other cities) nowadays. Many unused lots around town are filled up with food trailers (e.g., one on S. Congress near Continental Club).

2. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    a whole lot of trailers south of home slice pizza.

3. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So one of my coworkers has entered the BBQ competition circuit. Every couple of weeks, he takes a Friday off to head out to some competition with his rig and team, and they produce a bunch of BBQ to be judged, and then sometimes he has some extra on Monday which he sells to the rest of us to recoup some of his costs.

Results from his first competition: http://www.kcbs.us/sams-club-series.php?id=2

His team (Humminies Hogalicious) came in 11th overall (out of 29), but third in brisket which he was very pleased with. He didn't have a lot of extra brisket, so I bought some of his pork shoulder (which came in 9th) -- we may have it for dinner tonight. (Other categories were chicken and ribs, and he was in the bottom half in those, despite in his opinion doing the best chicken and ribs that he had ever done. The competition is tough!)

Next competition is two weeks from now: http://www.mhnobullbbq.com/

I'll see if I can get him to share some pictures of his setup and the finished product so y'all can drool.

4. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    That would be sweet. If Team Humminies Hogalicious doesn't have a website have him post pics to Flicker and then you can link them here.

5. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Alright Bill, you teased us but your friend has yet to deliver. So until he does I’ll be passing out some simple to make appetizers. – Atomic Buffalo Turds. Don’t let the name dissuade you, these things are adult BBQ candy.

Here’s how you make them.:

Core out some good sized peppers

Stuff with cheese and sausage or whatever (I used pepper jack cheese, but cream cheese and lil’smokies are also popular.

Wrap it all in a strip of bacon.
    Cook it via indirect heat. I place them in a corner when cooking ribs or smoked chicken.

Here’s the process in pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    And the finished product:

[​IMG]

7. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Sweet Mother of Mary, that looks awesome! My one question is if you lose too much heat from the peppers when you get rid of the seeds? I suppose you could sprinkle some back into the cheese/sausage mix.

8. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Those are jalapenos and I think they still pack plenty of heat. If you find they're not hot enough I suppose you could use a hotter pepper. I tell you what though, these ATBs don't last long at a party.

9. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Good eats

On the grill this afternoon… moinks and cloinks.

What are moinks you ask. Moinks are Norwegian meatballs wrapped in bacon. Cow = Moo, Pig = Oink, Cow + Pig = Moink. Get it? Ha, ha. :p

Trust me, it is funnier if you say it in a Norwegian accent.

And what are cloinks? Cloinks are Norwegian yardbird wrapped in bacon. Chicken = cluck, Pig…. Oh never mind you get it.

We’ll also be grilling chicken breasts, Vidalia onion, potatoes, and asparagus.

10. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Had some of these a few weeks ago. Instead of smokies my buddy use breast meat from dove and then basted it with Raspberry chipotle jam.....OUT F"IN STANDING!

11. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    That does sound good.

12. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Results from the Morgan Hill No Bull BBQ competition over the weekend

My co-worker's team was third overall and first in ribs. He didn't have any leftovers -- this competition allows the teams to sell BBQ to the spectators (tragically, I was at a birthday party for one of my kid's friends so I was watching him smack around a Spongebob piñata instead of enjoying BBQ).

13. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So apparently a contribution from Memphis is needed (surprised it has not yet been done)

Memphis is mostly a sauce place, but there are a few dry rub locals.

What I liked, along with a Kansas visitor, was Rendezvous in downtown.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Simple, basic, (even paper table coverings) and good. Also, expect a wait unless you are there at 2pm Tuesday afternoon. Some say it is for tourists, and it does have a reputation outside of Memphis, but it is not a typically "touristy" type food place.

Another dry rub is the Germantown Commissary

[​IMG]

I think they also do sauce. I have not been, but those that like their barbeque like that place.

As for sauce places, there are a million in Memphis. BB Kings on Beale St gets a lot of notice, though I did not find them any thing special.

Corky's also gets a lot of attention around town. Their sauce is sold everywhere (and I like it) and they are always busy - They have at least three places and name brand recognition.

There is also a little place close to where we live called the Cozy Corner. It is sorta on the wrong side of the freeway, but those that I know have been there say it is excellent. I used to commute by it every morning and the smell, even at 6am, was fantastic.

14. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    When I think Memphis BBQ I think Memphis dry rub, not sauce. Dry rub ribs with extra rub served on the side. Mmmm, Mmmm, Mmmm, Mmmm, Mm.

Your choice of Rendezvous is excellent as it probably the most famous rib joint in the world so it is definately on my bucket list. To be honest it belongs on any bucklist if only for its' historical significance.

Anyway you post has be inspired to make some Rendezvous style Memphis ribs. Apparently their rib rub receipe is top secret, not what you get when you buy their Rendezvous Season Sauce in a bottle, not the recipe floating around on the Internet, and not the receipe the owners give out when asked by a celebrity patron. Luckily our friend Meathead has reversed engineered a quality knock off:

Rendezvous-Style Memphis Seasoning

BTW, in the comment section on that link Meathead was asked to name his top Memphis rib joints. Here is his list:

1) Bar BQ Shop. Best all round food, variety, atmosphere, beer. Best BBQ spaghetti in town. Ditto for the balogna.
    2) Cozy Corners. Good food, especially the cornish hens, but the family atmosphere and tradition always get me.
    3) Central. Great ribs. Pork skins.
    4) Germantown Commisary. Great ribs, pies.
    5) A&R (original location). Classic neighborhood joint. No smoke. Loved the sauce and the sausage. Fried pies, fried pickles.
    6) Leonards. History, tradition. Love the old delivery truck in the middle of the dining room. Desserts.
    7) Rendezvous. Don't care for the ribs, love the atmosphere.
    6) Corky's (original location). Ditto.

15. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I assume the grills will be humming tomorrow? We have had completely shitty weather here, so I have done very little BBQ'ing all spring. Cold and rainy again today. It's supposed to be nice tomorrow, but we are going to my mother in laws, so my grill will be cold again. I'm really looking forward to some nice days as I want to throw a little bird on the grill and try that white sauce v posted earlier in the thread. I'm totally intrigued by it.

16. GiuseppeSignori

Jun 4, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My brother-in-law decided it was the perfect day despite the near-constant rain to cook up a couple pork shoulders in his smoker, one using a rub from some BBQ joint in Nashville. I'm about to dig in.

17. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Have a brisket marinating tonight...will smoke it all day tomorrow.

18. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    . . . and?

19. GiuseppeSignori

Jun 4, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Outstanding. He served pulled pork sandwiches with a home-made cole slaw to add some crunch and a Carolina-style vinegar sauce to top it off. We finished off the first shoulder which was made with his signature rub and then sampled a little bit of the second shoulder with the store-bought rub from Nashville. I actually preferred the version with his own rub, but will be happy to have the remains of the second for lunch tomorrow. :D

20. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gotta work on Memorial Day because nobody memorializes in the UAE. The best I can do out here in honor is crock pot pulled pork. Rubbed up some loin and added a molasses based sauce. Always a winner.

21. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Nice. This may be a stupid question, but is pork difficult to buy there? Seems a bit like alcohol in that there would only be an ex pat market. Can you get it at grocery stores?

22. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In most of the major supermarkets there is a 'For Non Muslims' section where you can get most of the pork you need, generally from England and Ireland, although the better loins here come from Kenya.

For some odd reason they also have Jiffy corn bread mix and pop tarts back there too.

It's certainly a lot easier to get than alcohol for which you either need a license or you have to buy duty free at the airport.

23. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Matt, you can BBQ just any kind of meat. Lamb is awesome on the BBQ.

24. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I am about to throw some Fred Flinstone ribeyes on the grill. Sides: grilled corn, deep fried zucs, ocra and pickles, and a salad for the ladies.

25. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I'm late to the party, but...
    That's tourist BBQ.

Rudy's went downhill when the owner died.

City Market in Luling is the best I've had in Texas. I'd definitely put that on your list.

That said, I haven't had Snow's yet, which I hear is a religious experience.

I saw from your later posts that you're a fan of Rendevouz, but you should still try the smoked sausage and Texas foot-long from Neely's Interstate in Memphis. Best BBQ sausage ever.

What makes Fette Sau better is that they give you actual good pickles and bread, not crappy Texas-style stuff. They're not trying to be a Texas BBQ: They're taking certain Texas and Carolina styles and adding some New York to it.

The flank steak (on the rare occasions they have it), baked beans, boneless beef rip and pork cheek are all out of this world.

Since moving to California, I've discovered Santa Maria Style BBQ. Haven't had it done authentically yet, but gotten a few tri-tip plates and sandwiches from around town, and I'm a fan.

[​IMG]