The kickass BBQ recipe and bucket list thread

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by VFish, Mar 21, 2011.

1. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I've actually never been but always meant to. It apparently uses liquid smoke occasionally and seems over-priced and touristy so I was never dying to go, although I heard the food was good.

2. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]

Yesterday in the province of La Pampa a new Guinness world record for the largest barbecue ever was set. 13,113 Kg of beef (about 30,240 lbs). I bet every last ounce of it was awesome. And they say there were no leftovers.

3. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Congrats on the world record. I'd like to go to something like that one day, but I find the best BBQ joints are tiny and their hours go something like this "11:00 am - Until we run out of Q". When you see such a sign you're taking a chance showing up after 4:00 pm.

4. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Here's a BBQ primer that does a good job of describing the regional differences:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubTQfr_tyY&playnext=1&list=PLB2161062E1945969"]YouTube - The BBQ Song[/ame]

5. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
  6. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
  7. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright so who has a rub recipe? Here is mine.

2 tablespoon salt
    1 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
    1 tablespoon cumin
    1 tablespoon paprika
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon ground white pepper
    1 teaspoon ground mustard seed
    1 teaspoon coriander/cilantro powder
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

8. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Looks good.

My brother is visiting from Holland so I am cooking a brisket in his honor. Here's the rub I am using:

MEATHEAD'S BIG BAD TEXAS RUB:

3 tablespoon ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons table salt
    1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    2 teaspoons mustard powder
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    2 teaspoons chili or ancho powder
    1 teaspoon chipotle or cayenne powder

I am also using MEATHEAD's TEXAS BBQ JUICE as mop sauce and to serve on the side.

9. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Brisket rubbed and ready for the grill:

[​IMG]

After a little over an hour with the bark beginning to form:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

afgrijselijkheid repped this.
  10. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    We are getting there... low and slow

[​IMG]

11. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Nice.

12. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Chris, it is a pity I can't invite you and Ochocinco over. If you're in Atlanta look me up. We'll tour the local joints and cook up some Q in my backyard.

13. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Deal.

KC is just four days away. First stop. Arthur Bryant's.

14. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    So?????

How was it?

15. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    It was a disaster. 5 lbs of brisket for 7 people plus plenty of hors d'œuvres (Atomic Buffalo turds), tons of sides and Key Lime pie for dessert. I thought there’d be plenty of brisket leftovers for me the next day, but no such luck.

16. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    This doesn't really belong here, since it isn't real BBQ but I don't have a spot for a smoker or a grill. I'm planning on picking up a slow cooker soon and am looking for some recipes/tips, so anyone ever used one on a boston butt?

17. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife made this one last week:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...rk-and-chili-pepper-goulash-recipe/index.html

Some notes:
    1. We call it "pork shoulder" out here, but as far as I can tell, it's the same as "boston butt".

2. The recipe says "spicy" in the title, but keep in mind that Jamie Oliver is English. I did not find this recipe "spicy" at all. Tasty, yes, but not spicy-hot.

3. This is not BBQ at all. It's more like a stew, but it came out of our slow cooker (aka crock pot), and it was really good, and you asked for slow cooker recipes featuring this particular cut of meat, so I think this qualifies.

18. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    thanks! Yeah, if it is in the slow cooker it is more of a "stew"

19. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Actually you can make really good pulled pork "BBQ" in a crockpot. The key is to find a recipe that calls for liquid smoke. That’s the only way you are going to get that wonderful smoky taste into the meat with a slow cooker.

20. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Excellent, I'll check that out. With no plan to move to the burbs or to a house with a yard in the city anytime soon this will be the only way to make it!

21. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Here are some pretty good looking Beef & Pork BBQ recipes for the crockpot.

http://www.msflourgirl.com/?p=694
    http://crockpot-soup.com/crockpot-barbecue-beef-for-sandwiches
    http://savour-fare.com/2009/03/19/carolina-barbecue-pulled-pork/

Apparently you can do pork, beef, ribs, and even brisket in the slow cooker. I am going to try some of these next time I am at the beach.

22. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've done ribs in the slow cooker before, but they come out very differently than when I smoke them. The way I usually do ribs (usually spareribs) is: dry rub, braise for a couple of hours in the slow cooker with some beer-based braising liquid, then finish them on the grill so they get some char on them.

If I have six hours and a hall pass from my wife to set up the charcoal grill on the deck (it makes a mess), then I smoke them -- dry rub and low and slow with apple wood chips. The two methods are very different -- the ribs come out very dry when smoked but much wetter (I wouldn't say juicier, just more damp) with the slow cooker method. I am probably over doing them when I smoke them, but they're so tasty... salty and smoky and yeah, pretty dry.

23. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    After probably 2 dozen trips to Arthur Bryant's over the years, I had the burnt ends for the first time today. WOW. They were truly awesome and deserving of the first spot on vfish's bucket list.

I've eaten in some great restaurants. Chicago, New York, San Francisco, Rome, Paris, . . .

This maginficent plate of BBQ is tied for the thing I would most want to eat again. (the other was an out of this world chili relleno in Puerto Moraelos Mexico. :D).

There is much more sauce involved than their brisket sandwich which comes with only a light brushing of sauce. In addition, they do NOT use the AB's original sauce (the more vinegary one) but instead the rich and spicy sauce that I believe was in the recipe on page one.

Definitely the right move. It is slightly sweet but definitely has a kick to it as well.

I am going to sleep a happy man. I'll post pictures when I get back home.

By the way. One glitch in my KC BBQ excursion. I was thinking Oklahoma Joe's for lunch tomorrow when my daughter reminded me that its Friday . . . and it's Lent . . . and I'm still guilted into not eating meat on Friday's as a good Catholic boy. :mad:

24. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I am glad to hear the Burnt Ends Sandwich was a hit. It is really hard to believe Arthur Bryant's once gave away the burnt ends for free, serving them as appetizers to hungry customers waiting on their orders.

I am looking forward to pictures of your KC BBQ tour.

25. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    This is like supermarkets/fishmongers giving away (or selling really cheaply) Salmon belly.