The "jump to conclusions about Ben Olsen" thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by InTheKnow67, Jul 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrazyDCFan

CrazyDCFan Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Henan, China
    You all seem unable to come to any conclusions on jumping to conclusions about Ben Olsen.

Maybe this will help:
    [​IMG]

2. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    I don't necessarily disagree, but there was nothing innovative about what Houston was doing. They simply were switching the point of attack either diagonally over the defense or straight over the top (Robbie Russell continued to baffle me as to why he constantly was pinched in on such a narrow field - it was as if just because he hasn't seen it very much this season, he really shouldn't worry about it).

Why United was continuing to play such a high line defensively down a man was a tactical error from Olsen. This of course is a byproduct of the attacking mentality of United. Very often if United is driving the tempo of the match, they play a high line due to the time on the ball in the offensive half of the opponent.

Olsen should have compacted his squad and go as deep into the match trailing 1-0 and then go for the game-tying goal late on.

Another lesson for Olsen to learn

3. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    First, you gotta have the players on the team who can go from the up-tempo, attack-oriented game we like to have - (as is true for most other MLS teams) - Be we really don't - A few players like Branko may be able to switch but not many others - (again, as is true for most other MLS teams)

Only when you really have enough versatile players who can play both can you actually then practice that a lot

4. skippy

skippy Member

Nov 17, 1999
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's another United manager whose team continued to play a high line of defense despite the game slipping away from them. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/15325536 It happens to the best of managers.

5. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Olsen played the high defensive line because he was looking for a quick counter after regaining possession. But another way to go was to switch to a possession-first game plan, in which you try to deny the opponent the ball. That's why I was disappointed when Bosko came out after Hamid's red card, because he is the man you want in there when you want to emphasize possession and good ball movement. Instead, Ben retained Santos, whose principal strength is collecting long balls from the defense. But this works only part of the time, and rarely when your defenders are under intense pressure. If Santos had left, there was a chance that Bosko, DeRo, Pontius, and maybe Kitchen could have worked the ball up the field, or at least held on to it, and the rout would not have occurred.

Bootsy Collins repped this.
  6. Shammypantaloons

Apr 20, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Of course the rumors of a Brek Shea trade (not to us, but just off Dallas) aren't true, but I can only imagine how could he would be on our squad.

7. itwasi

itwasi Member+

May 9, 2008
    I don't know
    Club:
    DC United
  8. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think he is ok....

9. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we were to win MLS Cup, does he leapfrog Yallop?

10. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Olsen's substitution pattern proves fantastic again. Willis?! Never saw that substitution coming!

:)

11. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that was a good one!

He was so effective that I think he should start in goal for the away leg in the ECF.

skippy repped this.
  12. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to nitpick, but I don't like the Dudar sub. Imagine if Henry takes that shot free kick and scores, we're playing with a pretty weak offense in the extra 30 minutes.

13. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

It tastes a lot like chicken

Winoman and WorldGame repped this.
  14. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Roy Miller sub was awesome though. Olsen is a genius. :)

Boloni86 repped this.
  15. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu

What's the side dish?

16. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, I dunno, I found that on a Google image search. Maybe crow foie gras? :)

17. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Another Olsen sub turns gold, even if it was a substitution he didn't want to make. Has any coach ever been this lucky in one season? I've really never seen anything like it.

BTW,COTY is still Yallop by a landslide. SS should get way more weight than MLS Cup playoffs for COTY.

18. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, my thread title edit is looking more prescient than ever, isn't it? :)

19. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is supposed to be regular season only, but voters always at least subconsciously consider post-season results. I'm sure De Leon's goal last night will be in their minds for rookie of the year

20. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did this thread have a different title?

21. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the OP when this was made titled it something like "******** Ben Olsen what a shitty coach." and along those lines. it was right after the 4-0 loss in Houston, where Hamid also got sent off.

22. InTheKnow67

InTheKnow67 Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Guess I'm psychic.

Rick77 repped this.
  23. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

why did they get rid of the neg-rep button?

24. mosca

mosca Member

Sep 13, 1999
    Honolulu
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You have to earn the right to neg-rep someone.

25. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the kinder, gentler BigSoccer.

When they did the software change, those "Rep" buttons said "Like"; and rather than counting how many "reps" you'd received, it counted how many "likes" your posts had received. Remind you of any other site? That other site doesn't have "Dislike" buttons. All they did was do a global search and replace on the code, replacing "like" with "rep".