The Jose "Special One" Mourinho Thread (Part 3.) [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by vilafria, Dec 22, 2008.

1. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Stale for him, not for the team. Apart from Chelsea, I don't think he ever really saw himself as being more than a few years in those clubs. After he was sent away by Abramovich, he made his objective to win all the main leagues.

When he leaves Real Madrid he will leave the most powerful squad for the next 5 years. You think he couldn't ride it out? Of course he could, he just doesn't want to because he doesn't seem himself there for many years.

You see his restlessness as a lack of ability to stay, I see it as personal ambition moving him forward.

2. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, don't tell me what I see or don't see. I think its the same as you, personal ambition. However, I think what SAF has done with United since 86 is better than what Mourinho has accomplished up to this point. No disrespect to Jose, whom I feel is an amazing coach, motivator, leader, etc. Just I think one is harder than the other, and coaching the same team for 26 years, longer than I've been on the earth, is outrageously impressive. Not only that, but taking a team that was stale and making it the most sucessful club in the world? It's crazy.

Let's just agree to disagree. I have SAF 1. Mouninho 1A.

3. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    :rolleyes: You're right, logic cannot beat a MU bias that leads you to make senseless claims like this.

Fergie would be a failure in Italy, do you even doubt it?

He's too British, doesn't speak the language and would be a fish out of water, which especially in Italy is the ruin of any coach. Same for Spain, although maybe less so.

It would be much harder for Fergie to do what Mourinho does than vice-versa.

4. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Sorry, this is the Mourinho thread. I will NOT agree to disagree here. :D

5. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please, name one other coach thats coaching the same team from 86? And when it comes to England...I'm a liverpool fan...there goes your United bias.

Mourinho has won in Chelsea, Inter and Madrid...huuuuuuuge spenders. Porto was a freaking amazing job by him, as were the others, but even he has said he looks up to SAF.

Mourinho is hands the the best short term manager, one could even say mercenary.

When he goes to United and stays there for 10 years, which he will, then we can reevaluate.

6. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    If you're not a MU fan, how can you make senseless claims like MU are the most successful club ever?

Mercenary? Yeah, Ferguson was a United fan since he was a little boy. He's a professional, like all the rest. :rolleyes: And when he won the CL he always did it as a spender, with much more than what Mou had at Porto.

Wake up, dude, Ferguson stayed in Manchester for this long because he knows he will not be as successful anywhere else. This is fine, it's the same reason Mourinho moves and the same reason he left Aberdeen.

At the end of their careers, we'll see who has won more. I don't see a CL title for Fergie any time soon, so Mourinho will definitely eclipse that. I wouldn't be surprised if he won more leagues, either.

7. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without SAF, United isn't even in conversations as one of the best ever. You know who they would be ...BENFICA. Living in the glory of the 60s.

Whatever, were arguing different points and you're not changing my mind and vise versa. Different stokes for different folks.

8. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    I see SAF as the better builder but Mourinho as the better coach. The only reason that SAF has been able to stay in one place as long as he has is because he is allowed to do whatever he wants. With his ego, I dont think he would have stayed long in one team if he had to deal with big ego presidents like Pinto Da Costa or Roman Abramovich as Mourinho has had to. People say that Mourinho can not stay in one place for long. I dont know. Maybe if he was allowed to call the shots as SAF, he would stay longer in one place. Im honestly not sure though.

9. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Both SAF and Mourinho are legends. SAF is obviosuly better because he has been doing this for many years. He has an ego too. I don't think SAF would do well changing teams every few seasons just like Mourinho wouldn't do well if he stayed in Chelsea for 30 years.

10. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    You think SAF would stay of he was coaching under Roman Abramovich or PDC ?

11. portugal#1

portugal#1 Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Both are obviously the best at their craft. It's really hard to separate the two in terms of who's better. However, I give the slight edge to Mourinho. The man goes from team to team and in a years time he has the team a mile better than what it was before him. He's been on teams with big spenders but so has Ferguson. Man U is the richest club in the world is it not? Surely in the top 3.

The fact that Mourinho can build a squad in 2 years time and see them win european titles and league titles is amazing. I appreciate SAF for his amazing work and longevity in one league for 26 years. Manchester United would be nothing without the man, however I think SAF could do what Mourinho has already accomplished....while I think Mourinho could do what SAF did. THat's what separates both to me.

12. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Never. Roman would fire him if he lost the league and PDC sells the team every other year. SAF would get tired of rebuilding :D

13. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Ya I have to agree. So what do you think ? Would you put Mourinho as the best Portuguese coach of all times ?

14. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    That's not even a question lol. Mourinho has roughly 20 years left in his career and has already done things that put him among the elite coaches in history. IMO he will be considered the best ever by the time he's done.

15. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto

For sure. Mourinho is already the best we've seen. Hopefully he will bring Portugal a few cups too :D

16. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Mourinho is the best there is best there was and best there ever will be

17. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    I think he has been the most successful thats for sure. I dont go far back enough to know the coaches of the 60 and 70s so I can not really comment on best of all time. That is why I asked. I think most here are commenting on more recent times maybe. I dont know

18. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Is it me or did Mourinho really go grey this year ? Stress or what ?:)

19. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Mourinho is the best, there is no doubt

first of all his approach is the most modern one ,tactically he is amazing and his teams are always very strong in the transition which in modern football at the highest level where players are so fast and athletic that is where the games are decided and his teams make the best transitions and switching from defence/attack they are always superb

hes also a great motivator and man manager he communicates with his players in their own language - he speaks English, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian and Catalan all very fluently, I think he may also know French not sure.

hes also a master of mindgames and handling the media, he knows how to read the game and make proper substitutions

his accomplishments speak for itself, he is the best and noone else can compare IMO...

20. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    The excellence of execution.

21. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    He stopped using "Just for men" hair coloring :)

22. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX
    Mourinho is better because he is Portuguese.

Game. Set. Match. :D

23. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Meireles and Bosingwa played amazing defensively for Chelsea... incredible!

24. portugal#1

portugal#1 Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Bret Hart mothafuuuckkkaaaas

25. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    That's Brett "Hitman" Hart