The JNT Striker Discussion

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Saku², Dec 22, 2013.

1. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I think Ueslei was possibly better than Sato too, but again, it didn't make a difference.
    I don't even think that Lee is a more complete striker than him and his high inconsistency career wise seems to suggest the same. There surely is something that suggests that when Sato's left to do his thing up front he delivers though, that I can agree.

You may prefer to have Okubo than Sato but we're talking about the lone striker position and, well, sure as heck I wouldn't, I would use him like Okada at best.
    Nobody cares about stats but it's a nice fantasy world the one where the player scoring 7-8 goals for the most of his career in the league, failing to impose himself abroad, becomes suddenly useful as a lone striker on the international stage...

Well, he was deservedly MVP last year, made like 10 assists, and contribuited very well overall, so I disagree.

Well you also knew that Kakitani couldn't "do anything against big defenders" but he hold his own when the big dogs came...
    But I respect your view, for the same reason I'm kind of skeptical for Toyoda, Kawamata.

scotch17 repped this.
  2. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    moved posts, basically it's the legendary striker thread hehe.
    Currently, the last picks Kakitani and Osako.

What will JLeague 2013 bring us? We'll find in 3 months.

3. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Of course Lee is a more complete striker. He's faster, taller, make runs in the space, can hold the ball, dribble, still be useful after two touches. He's not as much as a killer but an all around player.

I've been talking about Okubo because you brought him up but he'd be sitting on the bench to be used later as a winger or a second striker later in a match for me. Sato wouldn't make the bench.

This extreme case wasn't brought up.

The whole team was better, he was better, he had the best year of his career. Doesn't mean he fundamentally changed.

I still believe it, I don't sell out because of a small sample.

4. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Well, Sato makes runs in the space too (definitely better than Lee), plays one twos comfortably, is better than him at getting behind the defenders, and is a more technical player than him.
    It's true that Sato isn't one who holds the ball, but he doesn't get dispossessed at the same time, he just usually makes the pass to prepare his positioning again.

Fact he didn't fundamentally change (who did ? ) doesn't matter as long all his JNT teammates, coach and tactics did

Lee might be more complete striker because the papers tell that he's 180cm but in the end his consistency leaves to be desired. He's basically the "never enough" that Japan had for years in the striker position, for me :/.

5. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    oh boi, yes Sato makes runs in the space, it's the addition of all the things I said that make Lee a more complete player ... which doesn't mean a better player.

It matters, sorry.

6. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    Is Kengo Kawamata NT material ? Can he cut it in Europe ?

7. Radu Razvan

Radu Razvan Member+

Mar 1, 2013
    Bucharest, Romania
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    IMO, no...are others much better than him.

8. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    It depends on how he'll do in the coming years. In his (real) third pro season he probably surprised anyone interested in J League for sure. He's best finisher in Japan right now and if he could make the number of goals even bigger next season he should try European football for sure as there won't be much things he will be able to do in Japan. Surely he's got an interesting personality as well ;)

9. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    Will the JNT use a lone striker system? Which players do you guys can play the role in your eyes?

10. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    I like Sato in PES2014, he's fast, has a really good final product and he's fit the most of times.
    Then I hope Zac will call him to check his real potential in an international context.
    He has 5 months, a good amount if time to test him.

11. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Toyoda should go to Marinos for instance would inscrease his chances of being in JNT for WC 2014

Samurai Warrior repped this.
  12. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol you should let Zac know about your experience. Kakitani is pretty good as well, apparently he goes by "NASHIDA" in PES. Pretty clever...."kaki" = persimmon, "nashi" = pear.
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

seolseol repped this.
  13. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    pretty much what you said
    my only concern is that he seems a bit limited so far, especially with the ball on his feets. A common problem between japanese strikers who are mostly successful in the air.
    He's got a nice aggressive attitude, though.

14. OishiiUdon

OishiiUdon Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Just bring back King Kazu (?)

AKITOD, Samurai Warrior and zdrstvte repped this.
  15. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nevermind him. Recall Ozaki Kazuo.

16. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I've always liked that Sato brings something different than a number of other strikers available. Notably the ability to pose a threat as a lone striker.
    Okubo, for me, brings nothing that other players cant already do better. There's talk of using him as a winger, but theres much better wingers and midfielders available. JNT hasn't been wanting for quality at those positions since the 2002 cycle.
    The problem with Sato, like most Japanese forwards, is that he's best used playing off a strong CF. Which is the position JNT has traditionally struggled with. And which most Jleague teams look to foreigners to fill, at least historically.

But I think he could offer something as a situational player. Like if we wanted to play compact counter attack against a much superior opponent (Dutch in 2010, Brazil in 2006). Then again, there is noopponent like that in group C, though there are two in group D... but if Japan makes it out of groups I hope they come out playing to win this time.

Samurai Warrior repped this.
  17. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    Wait, Colombia isn't an opponent "like that"? At least FIFA think they are and put them in the first pot.

However tell me if I'm wrong, Zac never called Sato even for this last training camp nope?

18. Radu Razvan

Radu Razvan Member+

Mar 1, 2013
    Bucharest, Romania
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    From what I remember, no.

19. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Zac called Sato for the friendlies against France and Brazil but it was after an injury, so he came a bit late. He wasn't used.

He has not called him, Okubo or Kengo in the camp for reasons that I've explained at least three times, so you'll have to do some digging by yourself if you want to know that.

scotch17 and Radu Razvan repped this.
  20. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Colombia are good, but I personally don't consider them to be the equivalent of a Netherlands / Spain / Brazil / Argentina / etc.
    I mean, it was never really in doubt that Brazil and Netherlands would win our groups in 2006 and 2010. Colombia are favorites now, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion.
    Colombia hasn't made it farther than round of 16 (same as JNT), and finished 6th at Copa America. They're very respectable, but... yea... can't see them as being among the elite.
    The Coca Cola rankings are a joke and always have been.

21. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    Which are the positions of Japan, Colombia, Greece and IC in that alternative Icantrememeberthename ranking?

22. Gordon1995

Gordon1995 Member+

Oct 3, 2013
    The WC in Brazil will be a boost for SA teams imo, I think a SA team will win this year.