The Jesus Factor

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Matrim55, May 21, 2004.

1. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Sorry, asshole, the white people came here to avoid that bullshit. Now go suck on the teet of your English mother.

2. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    It's not because you're rich. It's because you're a jerkoff.
    Hey, Big Time, I'm sure there are plenty of people who would be willing to take some of that seven figures you got. With you wanting to live a life of poverty and all.

3. el_urchinio

el_urchinio Member

Jun 6, 2002
    I'm willing to bet that my charitable donations far exceed yours and that I probably spend as much time volunteering weekly as you do in a year.

4. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    And all that still wouldn't make you any less of a jerkoff.

5. el_urchinio

el_urchinio Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Yet luckily, I'm not the least bit concerned about that.

6. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

File this under W for "who gives a damn"

lets all get into a pissing contest over who is the better person.

7. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Fantastic. That is lucky.

8. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Exactly my point, brainiac. You might not like it but HC is spot on when she talks about the voting habits of the sheeple of the US of A.

Yes, it's off-topic but you brought it up. I wasn't posting on the politics board last year so I'm not familiar with the threads of which you speak. And if I had seen them, they probably would have bothered me. I was raised to feel that it's tacky to talk about how much money you have - especially when you're talking about having a lot of it - with strangers.

And if you abhor your money so much you should give it to those oppressed and disenfranchised minorities that you were wailing about a few posts ago. Everybody wins. The minorities have the money to run for office and you've rid yourself of all that filthy lucre.

9. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Clearly.

10. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    But he's 21, and just so dern conflicted about all that money he's "earned". Plus, I heard he's college educated. One wonders what he's doing stuck in the "Great White North" complaining to a bunch of soccer fans on the internet rather than banging one of the Hilton sisters in the back of a limo on Mulholland Drive.

Oh, I forgot, he's all principled and stuff....

11. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    can we get back to the action figures please? you guys are fvcking up this thread.

To the point about 84% of the country being Christian, how many of them are evangelical christians? Because that's really what this is about. I would bet England has as many christians, but they aren't as confrontational about it, nor do I believe that it dictates governmental decisions the way is seems to be beginning to do over here. I think it's a trend issue. 30 years ago, a guy like Billy Graham was a fringe player with little play. 12 years ago Pat Robertson spoke at the Republican Convention. 4 years ago, guys like them helped to elect the president, who is very much like they are (evangelical). That is not the direction some people want the country to be going in. And, it seems to be polarizing rapidly. In the NYC area, most of my friends are atheists; I can only think of one that goes to church. In the south? In Texas? It's becoming two different countries.

George Bush Sr. was a "christian", but not evangelical. So, you had a president with a moderate record on religion. GWB is evangelical, and I don't consider his presidency religiously moderate. I'm not going to compare him with an islamic fundamentalist, but he is considerably more purposefull about having faith as part of his political agenda. Now, part of Clinton's political agenda was not getting impeached for cheating on his wife, so I can watch a Bush press conference without worrying who gave him his tie, and that's a good thing. But having someone base governmental decisions on religion as explained by Billy Graham makes some people nervous. It just does.

12. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

Do you know what I don't get about super-christians?

Most religions tell us that Satan is the ultimate trickster. Even the antichrist will come, and have misguided pious people following him, right? (left behind folks?) I mean, some of the worst outrages of Christianity have been explained by protestants by saying the popes unwittingly did the devils work.

So how do we know Bush is listening to God, and not Satan? It's not like Bush has followed great advice so far, right?

Considering the number of people who have died due to George's policies, wouldn't he have some major blood on his soul? Of course he thinks he's doing the right thing, but if he died, I kinda see 2 paths in front of him - one a crowded 6 lane superhighway, one a barely used exit ramp. Certainly the highway has big letters painted on it saying "Good intentions this way, 2 miles" - but exactly where does that lead again?

Of course, there's that belief that "opening your heart to Jesus" will send you to heaven, but that's the ultimate cop-out, ain't it?

13. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Does anybody know if/when PBS will re-broadcast this?

14. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And here's where it's important to stop reading and pay a visit to the good doctor google. The Compassion Capital Fund took a half-million dollars of our money (yours and mine - I like to think of my dollars in a "how can I relate this to Segroves?" way) and used it to add another wing onto le Chateau de Robertson.

That's right: Pat Roberson is now subsidized by the government. The same guy who said we deserved 9/11 because women wear pants. I'm pretty sure that, no matter what Pat has said about it, Jesus is weeping.

I'm not against faith-based charities getting gov't funds as long as they have to abide by equal employment rules. I'm not against faith-based charities getting funds as long as the gov't doesn't discriminate based upon faith (which the Bush gov't has unequivocally done. Seriously, just google it). I'm against the tragishamocracy that we have now.

FWIW, John Adams and John Quincy Adams were Unitarian Universalist. That no longer counts as a religion in Texas, so we can't really say 42 of 43 were Protestant.

Also, Honeychile is a deluded bigot. It's important to remember that when reading any of her posts.

15. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Sure thing :D

[​IMG]

16. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't believe that he's bluffing. But if you watched the show, there's a lengthy section about how (a) he lost an early House election to a Democrat who campaigned on the idea that he wasn't pious enough for the district, (b) Laura threatened him with separation if he didn't get his act together, (c) it's right after both these things that he found God, and (d) God has been front & center featured in every campaign he's had since. It's legit to ask the question even if we conclude that's not into Jesus for the money and power.

As far as faith-based initiatives are concerned, I see why people are concerned about it being abused but the concept doesn't bother me. There are lots of instances where a religious-run charity can do things better than a government program can. But the administration of the program is garbage. Money should come from one federal agency, and that agency should have people wh review applications and take out any mention of the church / synagogue / mosque asking for it as well as the location. Once scrubbed of its source, it then can go to program administrators for review and approval / rejection. This way, In Jesus' Name Food Pantry and Yahweh Home For The Disabled are really on the same footing when it comes to evaluation.

17. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can watch it in full on the website.

18. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Maybe not Iraq, but nobody actually knows that. Besides he was talking about western democracies, and he was right.

19. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hell, yes. I'd be saying it louder! I don't want a pacifist pvssy in the white house nor do I want one who starts wars because he's on a crusade. I want the POTUS to make decisions and set policy based on the Constitution and what's best for the American public. I don't want a POTUS who bases his decisions on the Bible. I want a POTUS who kicks the asses that need to be kicked (Taliban) and leaves the rest of them alone.

Have you or have you not watched that Frontline?

20. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No. No, she's not.

21. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

AHA! Proof that the Antichrist walks among us, and it is Dubya. :eek:

BTW I tried to Google "Bush" and "Antichrist" and there seems to be a lot of "evidence" out there. ;)

22. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.rotten.com/library/religion/antichrist/

Nostradamus offers a fairly detailed list of criteria for Antichrist as well. He'll have three water signs on his astrological chart, he will rule a mighty empire, he will come to "the Romans" through Iraq (George W Bush lacks the astrological credentials, in case you're starting to wonder) . There might be a solar eclipse to announce his arrival or some kind of comet. Maybe he'll be born in Greece. Kinda. OK, this isn't very helpful.

23. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

Love it...

http://www.covenantnews.com/baldwin020412.htm

24. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Astrological signs no... but that whole "Iraq" business...

25. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Always kind of tense when I speak to my Father. I am never sure whether he is going to tell me to sign up to fight in Iraq or to get on a plane, hijack it and fly it into a building.

But that makes it kind of exciting, no?