The J.League Refereeing Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese Club Football' started by Shizuoka, Aug 30, 2009.

1. fc koshigaya

fc koshigaya Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Saitama City,Japan
    Club:
    Omiya Ardija
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a good 20 minute span in the game between Omiya and Kashima that was just comically bad.

Koroki hand balls a ball and Kimura says nothing, loses it to Aoki who does the exact same thing and it's called

The ensuing free kick saw at least two Kashima players offsides, including one player who kicked the ball off the post which Marquinhos put in for a goal.

Rafael and about 7 other Omiya players are screaming at him and the assistant to look up at the replay which Kimura absolutely refuses to do, instead giving Rafael a yellow.

the ensuing restart, Rafael receives the ball and Koroki goes studs up into his ankle, pat on the head and a free kick at the half line. (Kanazawa did the same thing to Felype Gabriel in game 3..........Stupid on both counts....I really didn't understand the need to do it up 2-0)

Koroki is offsides on a dangerous play......no flag.

Marquinhos offsides again, Omiya players are screaming and Kanazawa finally goes in with a shoulder charge to stop a wide open chance......yellow card and out for the next game.

We had alot of the same crap for the past couple months........We get hit and it's no call or a free kick deep in our own end. The other team gets hit and it's a free kick in a dangerous place, a yellow card or a straight red. Kobe and Kyoto have been getting similar treatment.

Sendai? Not so much. I'm not saying there's a conspiracy.....i'm just saying that some teams get to foul the crap outta people without worry of sanction while others are under different rules.

2. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    He cannot use the video.

That's the rule when you destroys a clear chance to score. That was the case.

3. fc koshigaya

fc koshigaya Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Saitama City,Japan
    Club:
    Omiya Ardija
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's fine.......but at least he could look up before he gives the quick yellow to Rafael for arguing. Or overrule his assistant on the second or third offside/non offside call. The whole team was yelling at him because of his awful calls and he decided to make more.

Let me make this clear.....Kashima was the better team and were going to win. They didn't need Kimura's help. And his decisions affected next week directly.

4. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Where is the CLEAR chance to score when the ball has bounced on Kwak's body and might be going out for a CK? How could the ref and the linesmen be SURE that it was going in?
    That's a tough call, but isn't PK & yellow enough...?

Sanga was prevented from fighting up for the rest of the game (which they did anyway), and now Kwak is suspended...

Ah well, it went better then 2008, when we got three players sent off... :cool:

5. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Yeah but it happened he did send the ball away with his hand. That's the story, he was the last man standing on the goal's line, red card. I can understand, that's up to the referee judgement and he has some strong arguments to defend his call.

6. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Last man handling the ball inside the 6 is red card no matter how you look at it.

7. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    The two things that referee should take under consideration when he's giving a card for player after handball is the distance and second one the movement of hand (of course must be towards the ball). Watch this one from Polish league http://ekstraklasa.tv/ekstraklasa/10,91837,8363782,5__kolejka__Slask___Lech_1_2__Diaz__1_1_.html That wasn't for PK. That's almost the same. I think that the side ref overlooked that it first bounced from his body (changing direction) and after that the ball HIT Kwaks hand.

8. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    He wasn't handling the ball, the ball hit his hand after a deflection and while he was falling.

9. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    The handball was the lineman's call, and -as said- I can live with that.
    But the ref could have had the common sense of giving a yellow.

As you point out, I believe they missed the bounce on the body, thus the mistake. Tough luck for Sanga in this case - nothing new.

10. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009
    The ball hit the hand arguement doesn't matter when you're a foot away from the net and you're the last player.

11. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I just asked a JFA referee.

He sent me to Law 12:

A direct free kick (or a penalty, if within the area) is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any
    of the following three offences:
    • holds an opponent
    • spits at an opponent
    • handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area).

I don't think they put in the word "deliberately" by chance.
    If you can find a rule that says that preventing a goal not deliberately means foul and red card, please let me know where, because I'd love to see it...

12. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009
    ok, so lets say there was an indirect free kick inside the box so the opponent decides to put all 11 players on the goal line to make a wall. The 10 field player decides to all put their hands up and not jump. A player takes the indirect free kick and hits one of the hands that was lined up on the wall. Since the hands were already in that position, the ball played the hand and not the other eay. Its not deliberate because the defenders don't know the ball is going to end up there. Its only deliberate if the ball is on its way there and the defender puts his hand up there to prevent it. But surely he's got to go off.

edit: also keep in mind he's the last player and he's a yard away from the goal

13. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    We're walking of a real case here, not a "what if." And btw, rising your hands while standing in the wall is deliberate, unlike Kwak balancing while falling after being hit by the ball.

Again, find me where it says IN THE LAWS that being the last player and being one yard from the goal nullifies the "deliberate" concept.

Until you can't, I am afraid you don't have a valid argument.

14. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009
    ok i guess you're right but i have never seen a player not get sent off when a handball was given a yard away from the goal.

15. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    OK Koroki is not that big, but that linesman seemed not to see him at all. How did he miss the second one (the header that was saved) is really unbelievable. :eek:

16. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Okubo's red card...??? :confused::eek::cool:

17. fc koshigaya

fc koshigaya Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Saitama City,Japan
    Club:
    Omiya Ardija
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You never walk alone!

18. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Japanese referees are flying around the world and making a good showcase of how the things work in Japan. Look at this link (no problems with watching? and sorry for crappy quality) http://ekstraklasa.tv/ekstraklasa/10,91668,8689967,14__kolejka__Legia___Arka__3_0__Vrdoljak__1_0_.html
    In two earlier games (even in this one aside from mentioned decission) the officinating was very good (and they noticed even 5 cm offsides - I even started to admire work of the men at sidelines),no controversion came out after those and one man destroyed it all. But after todays show of Mr Toma Masaaki there will be one more thing that Japan will be famous for in Poland - crappy referees. The comments I've read are very, very critical...

19. stefanole

stefanole Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Hiroshima
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Poland has previous though. Their PM said he wanted to kill Howard Webb in the 2008 Euros. His family in the UK needed police protection after they were visited by Polish yobs. It doesn't seem like the most healthy footballing culture.

20. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    :confused: Do You know what was the case? Things like that lead to implementation of the referees behind the goals (do You even know about that?) and it will be probably used in 2012. Maybe for You it's better not to touch those nasty things that many times one man decides who will be the champion and who will be relegated not to mention those milions of €? And about that You've written - the threats were only in internet, his family in UK didn't want any protection (though Police offered some help), and 'their PM' said that as a joke (You thought that was serious? He would be in Polish jail because of that if it was for real). Definitely, a reasonable man doesn't write stupid things about things that he doesn't know for sure. And I'll stop it right here.
    Have You got something to write about that decission Mr Toma did?

21. stefanole

stefanole Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Hiroshima
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Watch "Les Arbitres" / "Kill the Referee". It was a documentary that covered this match, and other referees in Euro 2008. There are first-hand interviews with Webb's parents that say they were terrified when some Polish youths went prowling around their house trying to get in, and about how upset UEFA were with the death threats Webb received. The UEFA officials also congratulated Webb for the decision and said it was great for the tournament, because the teams had already been warned about shenanigans in the penalty area. This is more compelling than hearsay about the experiments with extra officials. And who was the referee at this last World Cup? If that was such a bad decision, Webb would have had a black mark against his name for the rest of his career.

Some things shouldn't even be said in jest, especially not by an elected official.

For the record, I would compare it to Chelsea vs Anders Frisk, and I would disown the actions of those idiotic English fans just as much as Polish ones.

As for the decision, he may have seen the defender holding the attacker back as they were entering the penalty area. The referee would punish the first incident, which would mean a penalty. I can't imagine the attacker dragging the defender around like that unless he had been impeded/held back quite significantly during the build-up to the cross, which you can't see as easily. And as I indicated, referees seem to be instructed nowadays (outside of England at least >_>) to keep a firm line against foul play in the penalty area. (The French Federation held a zero-tolerance policy in the box a few years ago which apparently had quite a dramatic effect, and that thinking seems to be spreading out.)

22. karolb

karolb Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    bump

are they talking more about some decisions this year? at least i saw "short" discussions about a few decisive situations in JAGS at the end of the show...

23. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JI7LGM7_xA&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - ‪2011????????vs???????????PK???‬‏[/ame]

Is he going to be fired?

24. roxbury

roxbury Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Why?,
    sorry I cant see the vid.
    :confused:

25. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    For telling the guy to shut up ? I hope not, he took a right and brave decision to call a PK at the last minute.