The J.League Refereeing Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese Club Football' started by Shizuoka, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Shizuoka

Shizuoka Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Shizuoka, Japan
    Club:
    Shimizu S Pulse
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'll start.

30 year old Masaki Nabeshima.

With the aid of his linesman, he was behind two atrocious decisions which changed the outcome of the Kawasaki v Shimizu game of August 30th 2009.

See the below video for an offside and a foul, both given incorrectly, and which led directly to goal for the home team:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgNTGPK_I6I"]Bad refereeing[/ame]

I don't normally make a fuss about bad officiating, but these match influencing decisions are not the kind of mistakes we should have to put up with at a professional level. :mad::mad:

2. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Re: Name and Shame Poor Refereeing

About the offside call, I can not tell if the Shimizu player stepped across the halfway line, and if so its a correct call. It was one of those plays where my first instinct was offside, but after watching it over, i may have changed my decision, so that was though luck for Shimizu.

And that was definitely not a foul.

3. stefanole

stefanole Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Hiroshima
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC

Whether or not he is over the halfway line or not is irrelevent because there is a Kawasaki defender two to three yards ahead of the centre mark who is definitely playing the Shimizu guy onside. Really poor awareness from the assistant, who should be concentrating on the last defender rather than ball-watching and being distracted by the Shimizu attacker. Even as play is restarted you can see he is very lazy about getting back in line with the last defender. He is watching the referee and actually starts to wander up the line to follow the ball before he stops and realises where he should be standing. I would put that down to poor training, that's really basic stuff.

And yeah, the foul is not a foul really. The guy felt a touch and looked like he dived, to be honest. It's one of those ones though where there has been contact, ok, and the guy has gone down, but you don't have to make a decision either way. Just let play continue, Shimizu would have gotten the ball. Sometimes I think Japanese referees put themselves in difficult situations because they get the idea that they need to make a decision. Sometimes the best decision is to decide to let play continue, which is what should have happened in both those cases.

So I'm not feeling so good about our third place now, but I guess it makes up for the two points we dropped at home to Kawasaki after we got Mikic sent off (a yellow for dissent from a guy who can't speak Japanese, and then a second yellow five minutes later for a "dive" when he was knocked off his stride in the penalty area). Actually since this is the thread for it I might dig up the photo I took of it. The culprit was Toshimitsu Yoshida.

4. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Well, one thing I believe we can say is that crappy refereeing has gone in every direction, this season...

5. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I you pause the footage on the offside,
    1. He's not passed the centre line quite yet
    2. Even if he was in the centre there's another defender who would've made him onside.

6. Shizuoka

Shizuoka Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Shizuoka, Japan
    Club:
    Shimizu S Pulse
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Oh, absolutely. Admittedly, I only started this thread because it directly effected the team I support this time, but what I'm hoping for is some names to be put to the poor decisions which happen all too frequently in the J. League.

I don't mean for a witch-hunt, but sometimes the actions of referees border on the suspect, and that's a terribly sad thing to have to say. Ineptitude is one thing, but if it gets to the point where you start wondering if they're actually on the level, then everything is put in a different light.

If I can't have complete confidence in the men in black then I'm not sure how much longer I can keep watching the J. League. :(

7. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg

Refeering is difficult since every decision you take has an impact on the match. I would not blame this referee since these decisions were difficult to take. Judging the offside is complicated because of the players's movements and the foul ... severe yes.
    I understand your deception but you should'nt be so angry behind mr Nabeshima.

8. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

The same thing that happened to the ref happened to me. I did not even notice the guy near the center circle :eek:

9. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I can understand when the ref makes a bad decision on an offside or a PK. Those are hard to see at real-speed. What REALLY disturbs me is when they don't apply the rules...

Round 23: Tulio pushed away's Stojanov's face: no yellow
    Round 23: Homma kicks away the ball in anger: no yellow
    Round 24: Mato makes a major foul on Marquinhos just outside the box: no yellow...

The problem is when the ref sees but has no guts to apply the rules...
    I wrote an article about it here, in case you care about reading it...
    http://www.japanesesoccer.net/wordpress/?p=2158

10. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I'm late to the party, but this one seemed excessive.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjQZU9LphHU"]YouTube - Miss-Judge![/ame]

Anybody else think Takayama blew it?

11. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001

Apparently, EVERYONE does.
    The J.League actually gave him a public punishment, suspending him from refereeing for at least two months and making him take "re-education courses".

Lets pray that it is a sign of things to come, and not just some one-off knee jerk reaction to a blown call that got shown on TV in Europe so that (*gasp*) all those foreigners were able to see the problem:eek::eek:. I hope its the former, but Im not holding my breath.

12. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Didn't realize it was even shown in Europe. I guess I'm later to the party than I thought.

13. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

It was shown TWICE (the week it happened and the following week) at JAGS on SkyperfecTV, where our hero Nonomura seemed utterly outraged.

His choice of episodes is selective, but when he picks one, he takes no prisoners.

In this case, the funny thing is Kobayashi (Reysol) getting desperate and thinking "oh crap, another yellow..." while the card goes to the poor Koji... :cool:

14. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

On the same article about him being suspended, J. League is planning to formalizing some penalty standards for Referee mis-judgement.

15. Viking-KC

Viking-KC New Member

Jan 15, 2008

Actually, there is a link to a game between Nagoya and Kashima at the bottom of that last video, and that looks even more suspiscious from my point of view (and the camera's). It seemed that on the first foul, the guy went down MUCH too easily and was looking for the call before he hit the ground. The second one, resulting in a penatly, the announcer sided with the ref saying "well, he pulled his shirt just a little bit and a foul's a foul." The funny part is that the ref actually saw that and not the guy bone-rushing the keeper.

16. Viking-KC

Viking-KC New Member

Jan 15, 2008

First time trying to post a video...let's see if it works.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AA7miLMokdM&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AA7miLMokdM&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

nope...help anyone?

17. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA7miLMokdM"]YouTube - ????????[/ame]

The key is to just paste the basic url you get from Youtube, ie:

Usually the forum then automatically detects that it's Youtube and puts the code in on it's own. Doesn't always work as planned -- sometimes I have to mess around with it using preview post.
    Hope that helps.

18. stefanole

stefanole Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Hiroshima
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC

Sometimes WTF just doesn't quite cover it :/

19. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

one of the most ridicule ever, thanks for sharing... :rolleyes:

20. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Do you think the pull before the assist for the second Roasso goal is acceptable? Action starts around 2:14.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIBIJ0pLa2Q"]YouTube - 2009 J2?39???????? VS ?????[/ame]

21. Viking-KC

Viking-KC New Member

Jan 15, 2008

hmmmm...questionable. I'd have to say no considering he next passed through 2 defenders and the guy was wide open. Don't think the pulling made much of a difference and it didn't seem like the guy being pulled was really fighting for it much.

Also, something has to be said for the ref - just letting 'em play on.

22. Viking-KC

Viking-KC New Member

Jan 15, 2008

Does anyone (Matsu) have clips of the Hiroshima Kashiwa game?

23. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Me and Matsu actually watched it together on TV (I had seen it at the stadium as well...)

It was a perfect example of gutless ref'ing and a carnival of diving and time-wasting. I'll write an article about it tomorrow...

Too bad with such aggressive teams: they played only the last 10 minutes...

24. stefanole

stefanole Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Hiroshima
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC

Oh dear. I hope the current success isn't going to our boys' heads :( I haven't seen or heard anything from that game yet.

25. goru_no_ura

goru_no_ura Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Miyako of Zipang
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Albirex's goal was NEVER an offside. Terrible decision...