The italian music thread

Discussion in 'Italy' started by sardus_pater, Dec 5, 2004.

1. GianPaolo

GianPaolo New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Cassanofutureofitaly,
    THANKS ALOT!!!! I am not 100% sure it's it but i'll soon find out. I'm pretty sure though that "L'Italiano" is the name of a particular song i was listening to when i was in Williamsburg last year and the "Festa del Giglio". I went to Angelovenuto.com and i am convinced he produces some songs that i like.
    Do you know if he is coming out with a new album? or know any similar music? I noticed he goes on tour on the east coast and was pissed that after 2 years his info/songs make it to Ghetto of los angeles/west coast lol.
    once again thanks for the info.

2. GianPaolo

GianPaolo New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    sardus,
    Thanks alot on the info and when i finish my move i'll be sure to listen to those bands and tell you what i think.

3. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Those we can watch RAI International and are interested in listening to modern italian music (any genre).

The annual 1 maggio live concert (lots of different bands and artists) will be aired (don't know if it is being aired live though, I'm currently watching it).

I guess it will be aired later...

http://www.international.rai.it/tv/palinsesti/tvnor/20050501.shtml

4. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  5. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    http://www.subsonica.tv/terrestre/

After 2 years of absence, the Turin’s band is coming back with an experimental album. Fourteen tracks, less electronic and more instruments. Subsonica (vocalist Samuel, guitarist Max Casacci, drummer Ninja and keysman Boosta) will kick off their new tour next May 5. ‘Terrestre’ will hit the stores next April 22 for the label Virgin/Emi Music. The album includes many news starting from the instrumental title track to the English track ‘Gasoline.

6. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    L'Italiano is definitely the song you're talking about and he sings it. He's coming out with a new song, but haven't heard anything about new albums. Un Amore: One Love has sold lots of copies. You should pick it up...

7. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Subsonica's last album "Terrestre" is already n.1 in the hit list of the most sold cd's in Italy, surpassing Springsteen. And it's only 2 weeks it is out.

Fantastic stuff, IMO. Wonderful lyrics, lot's of musical ideas. An incredible mix of various genres with a distinct flavour.

Italian hit lists.
    http://www.fimi.it/classifiche.asp?idtipo_classifica=1

8. GianPaolo

GianPaolo New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Yeah i went to all my local tower records but they didn't have it (probably bc of the lack of Italians around here) so i ordered it from new jersey and i recieved it last week.
    I think that cd is awesome and i can't stop listening to it. There were a bunch of songs i didn't exactly care for but with time i'm liking them.
    Let me know if Angelo is coming out with a new song/album.

9. GianPaolo

GianPaolo New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    I picked up the cd Italian dance anthems + euro hits and it was allright. The first half of the cd was mostly euro hits and the second half was italian dance.
    Some Songs were good while others haha i didn't get. I was not all that into them using vampire voices and pepsi slogans in some songs but whatever.

10. progfun4ever

progfun4ever New Member

Jun 9, 2005
    PFM, the legendary italian progressive rock band, is back to Canada

These are great live act, a must see event!

July 12th 2005: Montreal – Spectrum, ( www.ticketpro.ca )
    July 13th 2005: Quebec City – Salle Albert de Rosseau
    July 14th 2005: Toronto – Phoenix Concert Theatre ( www.ticketmaster.ca )

here below is the press release I found in Toronto for those that never heard about these musicians.

PFM, Premiata Forneria Marconi, is the most important Italian progressive rock band in history.
    PFM started its career in Italy during the early 70’s but were catapulted to the international stage thanks to the unconventional structure of their music. Over the past 30 years, PFM’s virtuosity, its innovative arrangements and style, has propelled these musicians to global success and popularity.

Their first album, Storia Di Un Minuto, was released in 1972 to much critical fanfare, reaching the top Italian charts and Hit Parade within first week after the release. Unprecedented for an Italian rock band, this profoundly changed the course of the modern Italian music scene. Soon the English versions of follow up albums Per un Amico and L’Isola di Niente, The World became the World and Photos of Ghosts, marked the panorama of the international progressive rock scene while being exemplary of one of the most glorified, innovative and truly original Italian rock exports of all time.

Having reached Billboard’s top-100, PFM recorded 14 studio albums, several live albums and

performed multiple times in many countries including U.K., France, Switzerland, Sweden, Germany, Holland, Spain, Japan and, of course, Canada and USA where they played more than 300 concerts touring with Peter Frampton, Santana, Poco, ZZTop.

PFM Milestones
    1972 - Greg Lake of Emerson, Lake & Palmer invites PFM to London to visit the Manticore recording studios where they also meet Pete Sinfield, King Crimson's poet

1973 - PFM is signed by Manticore, begin to collaborate with Pete Sinfield and start touring Europe, surprisingly entering Billboard’s Hit Parade without touring the USA with “Photos of Ghosts”.

1974 - PFM starts first American Tour in support of second album released under Manticore label, The World Became the World. First Live Album, Cook, is released composed of live recordings from Toronto and New York City dates.

1975 - On September 20th Melody Maker ranks PFM at 2nd place as Brightest Hope of the Year, ahead of bands as Super Tramp, 3rd, and Eagles, 5th. Photos of Ghosts is awarded best album of the year in Japan.

1979 - PFM reaches super stardom after collaboration with Fabrizio De André, the most
    important Italian songwriter. The result – Legendary double live album Fabrizio De André and PFM in Concert. This album is still represented today on the Italian charts.
    1980 - PFM publishes “Suonare Suonare”, a new, fresh and vital album containing poetic autobiographical stories from the band’s members. The following “Come ti va in riva alla città” has a different musical language with lyrics speaking of suburban stories.
    1997 - After 10 years of silence, PFM’s come back album, “Ulisse”, receives the Golden Award for sales in Italy and the following tour is awarded as the best rock act of the year.
    2000 – “Serendipity” is released. “It’s a state of continuous research that let’s us get new creative results starting from any point of view of our experience” explained Franz Di Cioccio,
    2002 - PFM celebrates 30 years since its debut and begin to tour internationally again while selling out venues in Japan, Brasil, Venezuela, Panama, Mexico, and the United Kingdom. “Live in Japan 2002” is released with notable guest singer on Sea of Memory, Peter Hammill - founder and lead vocalist of Van Der Graf Generator, one of the most important English progressive rock bands.

2005 – PFM, with 4 or the 5 original members still playing with the band, returns to Canada for three concerts, leading up to the release of its new album “Dracula”, a rock opera that will be on stage fall 2005. At the Montreal show Denis Gaignè, singer of the Canadian band “The Musical Box”, will join the band to sing one PFM’s song. “The Musical Box” is world wide famous to have re-enacted Genesis performances as originally presented between 1973 and 1975.

11. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I prefer Banco del mutuo soccorso. And Le Orme also.

But PFM is undoubtly an important and historical part of the italian prog rock scene. :)

Premiata Forneria Marconi

[​IMG]

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAND.asp?band_id=289

(right click, save as)
    Impressioni di Settembre

Impressioni di settembre
    Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM)
    Mogol - Pagani - Mussida

(1971)

Quante gocce di rugiada intorno a me
    cerco il sole, ma non c'è.
    Dorme ancora la campagna, forse no,
    è sveglia, mi guarda, non so.
    Già l'odor di terra, odor di grano
    sale adagio verso me,
    e la vita nel mio petto batte piano,
    respiro la nebbia, penso a te.
    Quanto verde tutto intorno, e ancor più in là
    sembra quasi un mare d'erba,
    e leggero il mio pensiero vola e va
    ho quasi paura che si perda...
    Un cavallo tende il collo verso il prato
    resta fermo come me.
    Faccio un passo, lui mi vede, è già fuggito
    respiro la nebbia, penso a te.
    No, cosa sono adesso non lo so,
    sono un uomo, un uomo in cerca di se stesso.
    No, cosa sono adesso non lo so,
    sono solo, solo il suono del mio passo.
    e intanto il sole tra la nebbia filtra già
    il giorno come sempre sarà.

Per un Amico

L'Isola di Niente

Banco del mutuo soccorso

[​IMG]

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAND.asp?band_id=36

One of the Italian giants, BANCO DEL MUTUO SOCCORSO defined together with a few majestic bands, a new ground break in the 70's progressive music. The incomparable musicianship of BMS is followed by many Italian bands along the decades until today. The unique voice of Francesco Di Giacomo brings their music to a higher dimension, and the
    extraordinary keyboard duo performed by Vitorio Nocenzi and Giani Nocenzi structures the perfect foundation for a strong yet beautiful progressive music. "Darwin" and "Io Sono Nato Libero" are real treasures of the progressive music as a whole. "Di Terra" unveils a splendid symphonic course, worthy of similar works such as the ones by PROCOL HARUM. Their style changed a lot over the years, as the band is out there over the decades with an extensive discography. Top Notch Genuine Italian Prog!!!

(right click, save as)
    Cento mani e cento occhi

Cento mani e cento occhi
    (musica: V. Nocenzi / testo: F. Di Giacomo, V. Nocenzi)

Laggiù altri ritti vanno insieme
    insieme stan cacciando carni vive
    bocche affamate braccia forti
    scagliano selci aguzze con furore
    devo fuggire o farmi più dappresso a loro
    Sulla tua canna mi offri carni
    che non ho certo conquistato io con la mia forza
    che gesto è questo non s'addice a un forte
    la preda è vostra e dunque vostro è il grasso pasto
    Di cento mani è la mia forza
    e cento occhi fanno a noi la guardia
    tu sei da solo
    La nostra forza è in cento mani
    e cento occhi fanno a noi la guardia
    tu sei da solo
    Tu ora se vuoi puoi andare
    oppure restare e unirti a noi
    E da un branco una tribù che va
    da un villaggio una città
    gente che respira a tempo
    uomini rinchiusi dentro scatole di pietra
    dove non si sente il vento
    Ma la voglia di fuggire che mi porto dentro
    non mi salverà
    Fate cerchio intorno ai fuochi presto
    presto con le pietre presto
    che siamo pronte taglienti e aguzze
    altri mani uccideranno e ci sarà più cibo
    Ma la voglia di fuggire che mi porto dentro
    non mi salverà

Dopo Niente è Più lo Stesso

Io Vivo

Le Orme

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAND.asp?band_id=278

Excellent early-70's Italian progressive trio (still around today) with classical stylings, featuring keyboards to the fore and a unique dreamy/powerful style. Le ORME was one of the three major Italian groups, the other two being PFM and BANCO. This band is usually considered as the Italian EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER and even BANCO DEL MUTUO SOCCORSO by the Italian singing. Its music is based upon organ developments and soli reminding Seventies groups which works are essentially built upon keyboards parts. The band's truly classic period begins with their third next releases. "Uomo Di Pezza" (1972) is one of Le Orme’s definitive Italian progressive rock albums. Although there is definitely an significant EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER influence here, as in the bombastic Moog and Hammond workouts countered by mellow balladry. It's not quite as integrated a feel as would characterize their next two albums, "Felona E Sonora" and "Contrappunti", though its fantastic nonetheless, and one of Le Orme...

[​IMG]

(right click, save as)
    Una Dolcezza Nuova

UNA DOLCEZZA NUOVA
    (A. Pagliuca - A. Tagliapietra)

Colgo il tuo sguardo e lo stringo nelle mani.
    C'è nei tuoi occhi una paura antica;
    sogni di cenere s'infiammano ora in te.
    Quando i timori si dissolvono tu credi in me.

Una luce che ti abbaglia,
    la purezza nello specchio e tu
    ti avvicini a me.

Piange il cielo sopra i vetri;
    la tempesta è nel tuo cuore e tu
    tremi accanto a me.

Colgo il tuo sguardo e lo stringo nelle mani;
    c'e nei tuoi occhi una dolcezza nuova,
    nuova per te.

L'Equilibrio

12. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Articolo 31's new song "L'Italiano Medio" is great...

13. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I spent 2 months in Italy this summer, and am making a playlist. Granted, these songs are mostly just pop songs from the radio. No 'cantautori' here, just some overplayed songs that will make me remember my trip. (some songs are in English, because these are all new songs to me that were very popular in Italy this summer) I'm still trying to add to this list. In no particular order:

L'aura - Radio Star
    Povia - I Bambini Fanno Oh
    Negrita - Rotolando Verso Sud
    Le Vibrazione - Angelica
    Michael Buble - Feeling Good
    KT Tunstall - Black Horse and the Cherry Tree
    Cesare Cremonini - Marmellata #25
    Paps'n'Skar - Vieni Con Me
    Jovanotti - Tanto(3)
    Nek - Lascia Che Io Sia
    Elisa - Una Poesia Anche Per Te
    Daniel Powter - Bad Day
    You're Beautiful - James Blunt
    High - James Blunt

14. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I recognize some of these songs! Another one I would add to the list for the same reason you mentioned above is Natalie Imbruglia "Shiver"...saw the video a couple of times on MTV.

These summer compilations are great...even though you may not necessarily like the song, style, or whatever, the memories alone make it the greatest song in the world. I still fall into a trance whenever I hear "Too Much of Heaven" by Eiffel 65 just because the summer of 2000 was legendary to me... :eek:

15. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This is the new song for the TIM commercials they play before La Domenica Sportiva. A summer song of 2004 by them was Mirage (La Luna). Another good Italian summer song:

Lunapop- Vespa 50 special

16. MedissiaPWR

MedissiaPWR New Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Pentagon city
    Lunapop- yes that's a cool summer song. i used to listen to it four years ago when i first came to Italy for long period of time.

17. MedissiaPWR

MedissiaPWR New Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Pentagon city
    there's a song i have always in mind is La canzione del sole... i don't know why, but this song has decided to harrass me ;)

18. MedissiaPWR

MedissiaPWR New Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Pentagon city
    my favorite Italian singer in Ligabue. i love his voice and style.

then of course i appreciate Neapolitan's patrimony: serenades and others traditional songs or music ( tarantella, tamuriana ecc ), and the mythic Pino Daniele. He has created the perfect anthems for Naples, writing down with so talent the "anima" of this city ( Napule e', Terra mia, fatte 'na pizza, 'na tazzulella e caffe', je so pazzo etc ).
    I do appreciate his albums in Italian language as well ( Medina is great ).
    I think Pino is going to release a new album in October, Iguana Cafe, with a remake of It's now or never ( English version of O' sole mio )

Speaking of South Italian roots, I've disovered lately an artist from South Italia : Rosa Paeda. She's pretty good also. But Pino is the best ;)

A song i do appreciate also is La descrizione di un attimo by Tiromancino. This is so poetic, the music matches perfectly the lyrics.. this is artistic.

19. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Lucio Battisti. Lots of his songs get stuck in your head after you listen to them.

20. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I probably heard the Imbruglia song over the summer, I'm sure she's popular there. There are a few more songs I want to get on this list, but I need to figure out the titles. I'll have to listen to the Italian radio some more and google the lyrics.

21. GianPaolo

GianPaolo New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Anyone know where i can find Italian music videos? A site that has video codes so i can put it on my site would be prefered.

Thanks

22. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can watch Video Italia's streaming on Radio Italia's site. If you find video codes let me know, I wouldn't mind having Jovanotti on my myspace page.

23. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    www.mtv.it Let's you watch the videos.