The I heart Di Maria Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by raven3k, Jun 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    He was good in the cup games, yes. But he played horrible in that last league game against them.

I like him, I love his versatility, I think he's a great player, but can we get better at that position, absolutely. There are more traditional players that fit that role better than he does that will allow us to play the game we want to play and help resolve this issue that we have with teams that pressure us high. He has been a great short term solution for us, his attitude is fantastic, but saying we need to upgrade in the long term in that position isn't a swipe at him. With Jese taking the minutes up front, and with Isco adapting (hopefully) to that 8 role, I'd bring a more traditional midfielder in the summer to play both the 8 and swap in with Modric when needed.

Akramzizou and 9Qui repped this.
  2. Madrid_1902

Madrid_1902 Member+

Jul 6, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Di Maria didn't play in the return leg at the VC. Illara played the 90 there. He played well in the Bernabéu when Atleti were looking to contain more as opposed to the intense pressure they put on our midfield for the first 70 odd minutes in the league. He was also horrible at San Mames back in February. Di Maria has done well in his auxiliary role, but his spot is the first we need to address in the summer if 4-3-3 is Carlo's long term plan.

9Qui and Zidane05 repped this.
  3. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    To be fair, Xabi and Modric were worse at San Mames. But yes, long term, that position needs to be addressed.

Crimson repped this.
  4. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    TBH, except maybe against Bayern, Di Maria wont probably have to face a team with such physicality in midfield.

5. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    People underestimate how smooth his transition to CM has been. The guy is one of the best instinctive wingers in the world, and he slotted in the midfield three with no fuss whatsoever. He adapted his game, I'd like to see Robben or Bale moving to midfield effortlessly like that. Credit goes to Carlo as well who has been amazing so far, but Di Maria is an absolute gem of a player.

6. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004
    What matters is how well he plays the position, not how badly others would have transisted to it.

Chinky24 repped this.
  7. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The volley cross yesterday... out of this world! :inlove:

Zidane05 and Lyra repped this.
  8. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    What a player, dominated Barcelona alone at times. Never let him go!:inlove:

9. sleepyvato50

sleepyvato50 Member+

Feb 11, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Amazing performance from him today, he can be inconsistent at times but he always gives it his all on the pitch.

Hopefully we don't make the mistake of letting him go in the summer.

MiamiNative0722 and Hendrix22 repped this.
  10. Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising Member+

Jan 4, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Absolute monster game from Di Maria. More performances like this one, please! (Minus the few occasions where he gave the ball away cheaply in the center of the pitch, those can be dangerous.)

Should have been Man Of The Match, was the best player on both teams.

Highlights from today's clasico.

11. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its too bad he can never really last a full game, absolutely stellar first half, World Class. Poor second half though

12. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Barca got smart and marked him tighter plus our mids were struggling to get the ball forward for our attackers. That said, he was good today.

RMSocrates repped this.
  13. Madrid_1902

Madrid_1902 Member+

Jul 6, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He will have a great highlight reel from the first half. The problem is that what was so good about his performance was that it didn't exactly help the teams shape. If you look at what was so impressive about his performance last night it was fantastic dribbling, nice skills and great crosses -- all of that synonymous with a great winger. I can't remember too many things he did that made me think he's made for this new role of his.

Ahmadi8 and Dantes repped this.
  14. RaMaaa

RaMaaa Member+

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    commentator last nigh: when he will be out of fuel? i can answer for all of you - NEVER. amazing performance, of course at the end he was tired a little bit, but still MOTM easily.

15. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Thats because he worked to nullify the non-existent movement of Xabi Alonso and the lack of any creation by Ronaldo.

16. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Di Maria Vs Barcelona

83% Pass completion : 2 Assists
    4 Key passes
    7 /7 successful dribbles

3 fouls drawn
    1/6 tackle
    1 shot blocked
    6/7 accurate long balls
    3/6 Crosses completed

jeremy123 repped this.
  17. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Without a performance like this, we're looking at a heavy defeat.

jeremy123 repped this.
  18. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Isco is the only other player we have who's as technically gifted as ADM.
    Angel was passing through their midfield like a breeze.I was hoping Isco's introduction would impart a new dimension to our midfield but the Ramos-Neymar incident spoiled everything that followed.

19. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I don't understand this comment, apart from all you said he did he also worked tirelessly to recover possession, kept Dani Alves mostly in his half, and helped Marcelo who wasn't doing to well with his duties control Neymar for the most part on that side of the field, at least that's what i saw, he wasn't completely perfect but show me one player who was, i think he did his job well and was our outstanding player.

20. Madrid_1902

Madrid_1902 Member+

Jul 6, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Angel tortured Barça in the first half, but that mainly came from pinpoint crosses, fantastic dribbles and yes the great work ethic. It wasn't a controlled midfield performance from him or the other 2 midfielders either. Whilst we looked like scoring every time we attacked we have to acknowledge that whenever Messi or Fabregas found a pocket of space they looked like getting in behind. I don't think Di Maria has the awareness or tactical discipline to warrant a starting spot against the better midfields. Providing great work ethic is a great characteristic to have with your forward players, however, if you're playing CM in a 3 man midfield then putting in a huge shift us the least we can expect.

21. jeremy123

jeremy123 Red Card

May 22, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Modric and Di Maria our best players this season. I don't care what formation we play but we must build the team for the next few years around these players. Underrated

22. jimmi_moh

jimmi_moh Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    i was thinking in second half , bale should be off and isco should have been in. and dimaria should have played in bales position.

WhiteBlood and jeremy123 repped this.
  23. Vector-SS

Vector-SS Member+

Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It pains me when I see someone like Di Maria putting in a monster effort showing pure grit and determination to grab all 3 points while others are cruising on the pitch.

Edit: And for the record, we should do every thing we can to keep DM as a Madrid player come season end.

Hendrix22 and jeremy123 repped this.
  24. mymy33

mymy33 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    My God, Di Maria has gone from the reason Oezil had to leave to crotch grabbing villain to hero and the season isn't even over yet :D

25. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You make it sound as if its Di Maria's fault that he needs to work for one pole (Xabi Alonso) and one ballerina (Modric, at least last night) as well.