The Houston Dynamo and MLS Winter Off-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by RedAce, Nov 20, 2011.

1. RedAce

RedAce Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that the Dynamo and MLS in general finished their season November 20, 2011, what can we expect now during the off-season? New players or potential DP's? Dynamo players being traded, sold, or waived off?

Well let the posting begin for a very interesting off-season guys. FOREVER ORANGE! :D

2. Levy2k6

Levy2k6 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get rid of Watson and Freeman for sure.

I'll add more when sober

3. RedAce

RedAce Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Watson came in and did nothing to help like always. Dom might of put him in just so other MLS teams can see if they need a player like him

4. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see Camargo stick around. I'd like to see what he can do with more time with the team.

Watson had some moments in the playoffs. He looked like he had some skill and was buying into what Dom wanted him to do coming off the bench. I don't know what he makes or if it's too much to keep him around. The team could use depth in the midfield though.

5. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The big question (and I will be accused of being "Downside" again) is whether or not this was a just a great run or do we have a great team?

We finish as runner-up, but I don't think we are the second-best team. I'd still put us at 5-6 in MLS, with upgrades needed in certain positions as well as a Ching transition plan needed.

6. guaroboy828

guaroboy828 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My "Getting rid of" list involves: Weaver,Garey,Freeman,Taylor,and unfortunately ERob. Boswell and Ching I'd keep to help train the young guns in what this team expects of them going forward. That being said; players like Cruz Dixon Bruin Cobos and Sarkodie need to step up a whole lot more. Tonight IMO is major proof to me that these guys need to be fighting to start and provide more results than what they have thus far. Moffat and Camargo are acquisitions thus far that really left me very satisfied. Watson is a tossup and Clark I would not mind keeping if he can stay healthy.

7. stagnant

stagnant Member

Jul 22, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Great run all the way.... if this was a great team they would have performed better during the summer.

I'm not going to be all sunny side up about losing a final, but the one positive is that we won't be caught thinking we have a great squad. There are only a few players we really need to hold onto and for the most part there is a lot of re-tooling that still needs to be done. I don't want to make a keep and toss list, but some names have already been thrown out there and I agree with those.

8. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    is it time to play Dynamo Death Pool?

9. RedAce

RedAce Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about Weaver though. He did sacrifice his injury just so he can help out the team, so he gets my full respect. I know we can get some kind of income for Watson though and get a BETTER midfielder. Perhaps a RM? You know what? Let's go ahead and get Sebastian Larsson as our DP :D...I wish :rolleyes:

10. guaroboy828

guaroboy828 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing else to do until next season. :D On a side note, I was thinking yesterday that, it would not be a bad idea to try and land a preseason tournament or training camps here in Houston now that we have the Amateur Sports Park open for business.

11. RedAce

RedAce Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anybody knows where to find a website with a list of free agents can you please tell us what players are Dynamo worthy?

12. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are going to get debate on the bolded part going forward from some around here. I think we've got some great parts or components and picked up some good ones, but this isn't a 2006, 2007, 2008 or even 2009 quality roster.

The challenge is determining how much of the last two months was due to a hot streak and how much is sustainable over a longer period of time. The truth is probably in the middle somewhere. And MLS generally rewards the teams that are hot at the end more than full-year excellence. If you subscribe to that theory that you go for it every year with trades and moves, then this year is a wild success. But it's risky to keep doing that every year and expect every acquisition will jell.

Look at it this way - next year we are still in the East and the top 5 make the playoffs, so we stay out of the West meatgrinder. I see no reason why we can't improve the squad and compete for the top of the Eastern Conference again.

13. guaroboy828

guaroboy828 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was on the fence at one point about Weaver mostly b/c of the impression he left on me his first three games in uniform, they were great IMO. Now I think I would get rid of him mostly due to his speed his finishing and his health has been a hindrance for him ever since.

14. RedAce

RedAce Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm ok with having Costly in our team next season and beyond, I believe he can help out the team from the start of a new season. BUT only if he is willing to accept whatever the Dynamo will give him and he also has to consider how he barely gets any playing time at Atlas. If I were him I'll accept any contract the Dynamo will be willing to give him. As for Camargo, I would also like to see him next season in the orange because he and Moffat really helped the midfield this season. As for new acquisitions, I would love to see a new forward and a RM brought into the team. Also a back up CAM or CDM

15. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Change in the roster is inevitable. Don't take this as a hold-pat argument.

But for those calling to ditch players, whom are you replacing them with? Why do you think the change would be for the better? All acquisitions have a high risk of not working.

It just seems the call is for changing players for changes sake.

I'd agree the Dynamo need upgraded performance over the length of the season from many roster slots -- but you can get that in more ways than just ditching players.

Existing players can get better. Corey Ashe. Look how much having Cameron next to Boswell improved Boswell's performance. Sometimes little things rather than ditching a player can pay the dividends.

Many teams have gone from poor to champions by just sticking with the plan and the roster. CLB, RSL and FCD all went from bottom of the table to top with little change and just sticking with a vision.

Again -- I'm not making a hold-pat argument. That is not realistic. I'm just suggesting thoughtfulness in the process. You rarely have to change as much as it seems.

I'll end with two examples: TFC and NYRB change players out faster than they change their underpants. You want to be like them??

16. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    it makes me sad that my hair is still wet and my feet are still frozen and this thread already exists. Not that I believe that the roster is untouchable, but it's too soon.

17. RedAce

RedAce Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking that myself when I started the thread :eek: but we still need an off-season thread. We don't have to ONLY talk about trades and what not. There's always lots of other stuff to talk about you know. That's why I wrote and MLS so we can talk abut the other teams while we're at it.

18. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda

well it's this or bitch and moan about Sunday night for days-and I think we pretty much summed it up with, it would have been different (possibly) with Davis and/but their DPs were too much to overcome.

I said, back when I was wondering if The Dom had lost some guys on the team back in July, I can definitely see a few folks being shipped out, regardless of DJ's argument, for virtually nothing. There are 1 or 2 guys that we may jettison and give the receiving party a ham sandwich to go with it. Again-I think this is Dom thing, just perceptions I got from reading stuff over the months. We all know once you get in his doghouse, there is no escape.

For the most part, I don't think we need wholesale changes. In fact, I don't really see anyone we really need to ship off. But we are going to need an upgrade on the right. I love lil' buddy, and he had a brilliant strike in POR, but some of the moves he tries out there, I wouldn't try in a pick up game over at Memorial park.

WE WILL BE in the DP market for striker. With Chingy's comments about retiring after next year (I am actually surprised he lasted this long) and with USOC and CCL, we need reinforcements up top. Bravo anyone?

I think we're fine in the back, provided we can keep everyone here-we will need depth in the middle, with the probable departure of Erob. But we can get that for cheap.

To beat a dead horse-I kept wondering last night, that if we didn't share Uncle Phil's attention and wallet with our richer, glitzier West Coast brother, if we would have more $ to spend.

19. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'd like to see Camargo given a good contract, and I'd like to see the Dynamo find some more hidden gems like him.

20. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    John Harkes actually had a moment of clarity last night and pointed out that Houston were starting 4 natural CBs at the back last night. Ashe will move back to LB, but the Dynamo need to find a RB if Sarkodie can't cut it.

Taylor was a right footed CB playing LB. I'd like to see him stay. Is Boswell's contract up? I hope he can come back for less $. Hainault, Cameron, Taylor, and Boswell is a pretty solid group of CBs.

21. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    Camargo reminds me of Donovan-they disappears for huge stretches of matches and then do something really cool, and it's like wow, they're good.

throw Amado Guevara in with that as well.

22. footyfool

footyfool Member+

May 8, 2008
    Houston
    I'm not going to get into the "keep him" "dump him" stuff. We have a good group right now, I'd probably say keep 95% of them. But if some folks were traded for upgrades, that's the reality of professional sports.

I just hope we can acquire (or develop one of the young guys on the roster) a true attacker. A guy who will take a ball and create something himself. It doesn't even need to be a DP level guy just someone who will keep defenses awake. A reincarnation of Brian Mullan.

23. OrangeCajun

OrangeCajun Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Cypress, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The protection list for the expansion draft is due today. I'm affraid well lose someone good. Maybe cruz or ashe.

24. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Cruz salary bumps up to 130K or something next year. I think he will be left available by Kinnear. Should be interesting to see if he gets picked.

Ashe is only like 80K so I think he may be protected. I would leave Ching on the unprotected list and protect Ashe, but I don't know that Houston will do that.

25. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    whoa-we need to fix that salary situation.