The House

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Riz, Oct 24, 2008.

1. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Upstate Democrat Retiring Amid Allegations of Misconduct - N.Y. Times

2. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF?

The victory in the 22nd Congressional District yesterday by LaRouche Democrat Kesha Rogers sent an unmistakable message to the White House, and its British imperial controllers: Your days are numbered.​

The crazy continues from there. (This is a primary result from The Hammer's old district, BTW.)

3. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So wait,she's actually the dem nominee?

Who has this seat right now?

4. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pete Olson, (R). In 2008 he defeated the incumbent Dem who won the seat in 2006 (the timing of Delay's departure meant the GOP couldn't put a candidate on the ballot).

And yes, she apparently is the Dem nominee. I have no idea how that happened.

5. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is this one of those really really Republican seats that the Dems don't really pay attention to, which allows a (putting it politely) fringe Democratic candidate to come in and have their 15 minutes before losing by a 3:1 margin?

Or is this is a legitimate seat that the Dems just completely pissed away?

6. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's exactly correct. The only reason Lampson (D) won in 2006 was for the reason Foos stated above; by the time DeLay resigned the Republicans couldn't get anyone but a write-in on the ballot. And hell, I think she managed to still garner 45% IIRC.

7. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Delahunt to Leave Congress - N.Y. Times

8. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    Living in nearby Rhudeylan ;) I've heard from some people that that's a good thing, that he's pretty ineffective.

9. KevTheGooner

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    Double WTF?? "The Message is Clear: Barack Obama has to go"

"My campaign...supports...the immediate implementation of the economic recovery solutions log proposed by American statesmen, and the world's leading economic forecaster, Lyndon LaRouche."

From LaRouche's wikipedia page: National Journal reports that LaRouche's solution to the (economic) crisis includes "fixed currency-exchange rates, massive spending on new nuclear reactors, and a rejection of all global-warming ideas" and that failure to follow his advice will result, according to LaRouche, in "a plunge of the planet into a mass-murderous new dark age."

Good stuff.

10. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Adam Clayton Powell IV to Run for Rangel's Congressional Seat - WINS

11. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    House Appropriations Committee Chairman David Obey (D-Wisconsin) is expected to announce that he won't run for re-election.

Link

13. KevTheGooner

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    Interesting that arguably the second most powerful man in the House would rather retire than slog through a tough campaign this year. Throws that district wide open and I'm sure the GOP is thrilled. I wonder if that emboldens the GOP to put up some decent candidates and get some polling done in other districts with older, more established incumbents. It sounds like a lot of them would rather retire than deal with a competetive campaign for the first time in 10-20 years...

14. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I think the Republicans are going to win John Murtha's seat, and I think that's going to be a significant blow for the Democratic psyche. The district is a democratic stronghold, it's voter registration is 2 to 1 in favor of the Democrats, though a blue-dog area. If the GOP can win there, it shows that there enough pissed off anti-establishment folks out there so that GOPers can win anywhere but the most liberal parts of the country.

This isn't a shift towards conservativism, it's a shift away from the establishment.

15. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but if W. (for example) barely won in 2004 and thought to himself.."I have a a bunch of political capital ready to be spent" then why not expect a Republican Congress to do the same...SOme people who are VERY right wing are running .,...i expect them to make matters even worse in the House/COngress if they win..... If they are already obstructing now -as a minority- what i believe honestly to be a very "mild" agenda Obama has come up with.... I guess i ought to be ready to expect even worse....

16. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    My suspicion is that 2010 is pretty bad for Democrats. I mean, take Florida for an example. Charlie Crist is basically a moderate Republican, who's pretty popular in his state. He was getting his ass handed to him by Marco Rubio, who's essentially a wing nut. This would normally would not happen in a place like Florida. The reason it is happening is that Crist is thought to be a part of the establishment.

IMO - that's evidence of just how dangerous it is for people who are in a similar position. Arlen Spector is another example. It's just that the anti-establishment movement is mostly conservative in nature, because Congress is mostly Democratic.

My prediction - heavy Democratic losses, but they won't lose either the house or the senate....and they are completely gridlocked for 2 years, and the partisan rhetoric will be like never before in recent memory. If America thought it was bad now, wait till 2011 - as your post suggests

In 2012, the Republicans take a total blood bath. They not only lose a lot of the seats they just won, but they lose even more. Obama wins in a resounding rout, and the Democrats will be in complete control...and you're looking at a severely weakened Republican party that doesn't know which way to turn.

This nation is NOT a far right nation, and the Republican party is turning its self into a far right party. It helps them short term, but is disaster long term.

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. The Dems held it.
    2. McCain won the district in 2008.

18. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I was pretty surprised. And that district is unique in that it is the only district that Bush lost and McCain won, in all of America. At least this is what I think the NY Times said.

19. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Another Democratic house win. I think it's silly to read too much into yesterday, but I think you're seeing a very bad potential trend for the Republicans.

1. The extreme right can win republican primaries.

2. Democrats can hold swing districts, and in the case of NY 29, can beat far right candidates in strong Republican districts.

I don't want to be a pie in the sky Democrat here, but methinks the Republicans have more to worry about than the Democrats.

20. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    1. They won it by running to the middle.
    2. A national Tea-Party strategy makes no sense in a district that depends on government largess

21. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/13/magazine/13midterms-t.html?pagewanted=1&ref=politics

I thought this was a pretty interesting feature from the NY Times, about how Obama hasn't really gotten into Party politics as the President, and thus has possibly pissed off his own party. His administration seems proud of the fact that they aren't doing much to help out his party during mid-term elections as well.

It also goes into a great deal about how the party's strategy has changed in terms of strategy. When Obama's named Kaine the DNC, he immediartly moved to transform Obama's grassroots construct, into the Democratic Party's system.

22. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A contender for nuthead of the year:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iQ7ZDUutU4&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- Gather Your Armies[/ame]

23. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of the comments to the Rick Barber add are hilarious:

Armies = old fat mildly retarded racists armed with lawn chairs and misspelled signs aching for the rally to be over so they can get to Golden Corral and Wifeswap season finale.

24. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A good friend of mine is managing the primary campaign of his opponent in the runoff.

I think this one gets winner for nuthead of the year.

25. Sakatei

Sakatei Member

Jun 24, 2007
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100813/ap_on_el_ho/us_quayle_s_quest