The Homegrown Prospect Almanac

Discussion in 'MLS: Youth & Development' started by Balerion, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
  2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  4. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    So the club he played for just formed a partnership last month with DC United. And DC gets him as a home grown?

[edit]After reading the article, it at least appears as though he has been training with DC United to a certain degree and played in some reserve games last year.

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-soccer-articles/dc-united-signs-academy-player-seaton_aid28339

Looks like DCU's signing of Michael Seaton is o-fficial.

"We are very excited to have signed another academy product today. The main goal of the Academy is to prepare players for these moments," Sonny Silooy, D.C. United’s Director of Youth Development said in a release. “Our connection with the First Team has allowed for Michael to go from the Pre-Academy all the way to the top. He has the tools and a lot of potential. We have been impressed at his rate of development, and look forward to his future as a professional soccer player.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Ives Galarcep@SoccerByIves
    As if Colorado's draft haul (Deshorn Brown, Dillon Powers) wasn't good enough, I'm told they've signed Dillon Serna to Homegrown Player deal

7. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An offseason summary:

Colorado -- Dillon Serna -- Akron (Fr)
    Columbus -- Chad Barson -- Akron (Sr)
    Columbus -- Wil Trapp -- Akron (So)
    D.C. -- Michael Seaton -- HS
    Dallas -- London Woodberry -- Maryland (Sr)
    Dallas -- Bradlee Baladez -- South Carolina (Jr)
    Los Angeles -- Oscar Sorto -- HS
    Los Angeles -- Gyasi Zardes -- Cal State Bakersfield (Jr)
    New England -- Scott Caldwell -- Akron (Sr)
    New York -- Santiago Castano -- HS
    New York -- Amando Moreno -- HS
    Portland -- Steven Evans -- Portland (Jr)
    Seattle -- DeAndre Yedlin -- Akron (So)

I'm going to toot my own horn here for predicting a rise in HG signings from the college ranks:

Percentage of HG signings from college prior to the 2012-13 offseason: 25.5%
    Percentage of HG signings from college this offseason to date: 69.2%

8. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Wasn't that hard to predict.
    Most teams Academies haven't been going that long. So after about 5+ years of the academy initiative it is not surprising that they are starting to come out of College in greater numbers NOW.

Kayak repped this.
  9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    By my count Serna is the 50th homegrown signing since 2009...................

I'm not sure we're done this off-season. We knew the Crew were interested in signing Wiet and Luthy, right?

I mean, Wiet has MLS talent and wasn't in the draft. So surely he's trying to latch on with the Crew.

10. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Will be interesting to see what happens with him. Could still be recovering from injury, could be headed to med school.

11. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Wiet is going to play at a lower level while he finishes his degree; we don't know anything about Luthy yet. If the Crew don't draft a keeper in the Supplemental Draft I'd say it's a good bet he signs.

12. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
  14. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question to see if someone here knows more than me and can explain this.

Sporting drafted Christian Duke today in the supplemental draft. Duke is a former Sporting juniors player and from what I have found has probably spent enough time in the academy. So my question is why they needed to use a draft pick? Is it because they didn't make a commitment on him before the draft? Or am I missing something?

15. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I've heard was that he wasn't eligible for a homegrown deal because he didn't meet the minimum amount of time spent training with the team.

Hararea repped this.
  16. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what the team just told me as well.

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Similar to Ian Christianson of Georgetown.

He was a Fire academy player, and we all assumed he'd be selected by them as a homegrown signing. [In fact during the last College Cup final between IU and Georgetown there were no less than eight Fire players on the rosters]

We were shocked that they didn't sign him, but as it turned out MLS declined their homegrown request. I haven't heard what the reason was, but it was probably the same.

Instead he was drafted by RBNY in the second round of the Superdraft.

18. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Article about FCD's recent signings London Woodberry and Bradlee Baladez, and the general trend of signing NCAA homegrowns:

http://www.fcdallas.com/news/2013/01/new-breed-homegrown-players

Baladez and Woodberry are the first FC Dallas Academy products to leave the U-18s to develop their games at the collegiate level before joining the first team. All seven of the club’s previous Homegrowns jumped straight from the Academy to the pros.

Head coach Schellas Hyndman said those extra years of development were invaluable for both players.

“When players go off to college like Bradlee and London, they’re both a little bit more mature than when they left for college,” said Hyndman. “They’re both coming out of very good college programs where they’ve been productive.”

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/02/14/salazars-wow-factor-earns-dynamo-homegrown-deal

When you watch Bryan Salazar, it's not hard to see his creativity. The teenager with the Neymar hair led the Houston Dynamo Academy at the U-18 level, routinely showing that he could beat opponents by himself and provide that creative spark that every team covets. Doing that against his peers is one thing – doing it against the Dynamo first team brings another level of attention.

That is what Salazar, 18, did two weeks ago in a scrimmage. He took the game to several Dynamo defenders, winning his share of the battles and making a name for himself.

On Thursday, he signed that name on the dotted line of the fifth Homegrown player deal in Dynamo history, becoming the first player that has played at all levels of Houston’s system.

23. CalBlue

CalBlue Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Interesting that Torre, Howe, Tilley and Cervantes have all started in the Dallas Cup. Clearly there's a lot of interest in these 4 as all of them have also played for the G's reserve team in the past and Tilley was sent to Stockholm at some point - you don't do that for nothing!!! Anyone know what is happening here?

By the way. I watched the game against Frankfurt; Torre Tilley were very good. Howe was good Carvantes fumbled twice, but was OK.

24. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    The table above is from a little over a year ago. The average number of years of college soccer was 0.8. Now, take the ten rumored or confirmed HG signees thus far in 2014:

No college: 1 (Hamilton)
    1 year of college: 1 (Allen)
    2 years of college: 2 (Kovar, Robinson)
    3 years of college: 2 (Okoli, Gallego)
    4 years of college: 4 (Shipp, Ritter, Friedman, Walker)

In this group, the average number of years of college soccer is 2.7. I'm sure that we'll get some more no-college signees as the year progresses, but nowhere near enough to dominate the way they did in the past.

What I think we're seeing - and credit to @Balerion for anticipating this - is that instead of replacing college soccer, the HomeGrown process is increasingly piggybacking on it, and perhaps enhancing it.

anivha and FlipsLikeAPancake repped this.