NSR: The History Thread

Discussion in 'Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, & the former Soviet Repu' started by Zenit, May 20, 2010.

1. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since we've had so many interesting and heated debates about history, both FSU and non-FSU related, that have spilled over into other threads, it would stand to reason that this deserves its own thread.

I'll start with some history both FSU and non-FSU related, regarding WWII/The Great Patriotic War, another favorite topic on this forum. PBS has yet another excellent historical series currently running, "Secrets of the Dead," and last night while on a business trip in Charlotte, I took in an excellent episode about one of the most fascinating, tragic, and under-examined episodes of WWII - Churchill's decision to destroy the remnants of the very capable French fleet at Kabir El Amin, Algeria in 1940 rather than risk the fleet fall into Nazi hands.

One can watch the entire episode HERE online.

Next week, there is a new episode about the Battle of Stalingrad, a preview of which can be seen on the same website as above.

Lastly, my little pitch for PBS, MPR, NPR, PRI and the rest of the world of public broadcasting - public TV and radio have for decades turned out quality television and radio with minimal amounts of bias, surviving mainly on charitable donations from listeners and supporters. Contrary to what you may have heard, their level of government support is minimal these days, no thanks to the efforts of a few very misguided Congressmen a decade or so ago who somehow got their signals crossed and accused PBS and NPR of political bias. I always include the local PBS affiliate, TPT, and MPR's three stations (99.5 KSJN, 91.1 KNOW, and 89.3 KCMP "The Current") in my charitable donation plans at the end of the tax year, and I would encourage all of you that are interested in quality TV and radio programming to do the same, all tax deductible of course.

2. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    I'm going to DVR that. PBS doesn't have and HD channel does it?

3. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    On this note, I'll add something. I'm not usually a big charitable giver - I live in a high tax jurisdiction (Manhattan + NY State=ouch) and hit the highest federal tax bracket.* However, for the first time, I'm very seriously considering giving some money to whoever runs against Rand Paul, because he's such a massive douchebag.

*I'm quite happy to pay those taxes, actually and wouldn't be too upset if they went up a bit. But I do tend to view it as a counterpoint to charitable giving, to a certain extent. Especially since I don't tend to utilize free services a lot. (I don't watch PBS or listen to NPR, for instance.)

4. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    World at War is by FAR the best WW2 series I've seen, incredible narrating and it just gives you goosebumps. You can watch it on youtube if you don't fee like buying the box set, it's fairly old but too good.

5. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Military Channel has been re-running that series heavily, and I agree, it is still good. I'm going to buy the box set, if I can find a decent deal on it.

6. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't believe so, and I'm not surprised. Their budget just can't have room for that these days.

7. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Stupid question since you took time to explain how much their struggling right now

Hey, if its not too much to ask, and since we have this thread now, when you or anyone else sees anything cool about Russia and the eastern front on History or Military channel, let us know on here. I usually don't watch Military channel but would watch those WWII docs if I knew when they were on.

8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Add in BBC, CBC and I would agree with you 100%.

9. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Frank Capra movies?

10. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, you're thinking of the "Why We Fight" films.

These are what we're talking about. I remember watching these as a teenager-they've been around a while, still quality documentaries.

11. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least the 'Beeb gets a decent amount of government support. CBC also does a nice job on programming as well, in spite of government indifference and lack of funding.

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was not really thinking of the funding aspect, just the production. Comparing whatever it is that Fox, CNN and MSNBC do to BBC, PBS, NPR, CBC is like comparing Harry Potter to Shakespeare.

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahh right. I got confused there for a second. I don't like movies/documentaries/visual learning much.

14. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On right now (9 PM CDT): "World at War" episode 19 "Pincers" - dealing with Operations Anvil, Husky, Cobra, the liberation of France, Market Garden, and the Battle of the Bulge - Military Channel.

One of the small reasons this excellent series has survived the years, outside of the topic, is the late, great Sir Lawrence Olivier is the narrator for the series.

15. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You and I are totally opposites, then. I much prefer a well-made historical or nature-based documentary to any first run movie in a theater. I could really rack up one helluva credit card bill if I indulged myself with everything I'd like to own on the various cable channels (Discovery, History, Military, A&E, BBC) e-stores.

16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I rarely go to the cinema. What I meant was, I'd rather read a book than watch a documentary.

17. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of WWII, I got a chance to watch the wrap up episode of HBO's "The Pacific" tonight...overall, a huge disappointment. Granted, "Band of Brothers" and "Saving Private Ryan" really set the bar high, but this latest effort by Messrs. Hanks and Spielberg I found neither compelling nor interesting, in spite of some outstanding cinematography. Wonder if anybody else here happened to catch the series, your thoughts please.

Rumor is that Hanks and Spielberg have a Korean War project in mind, which would be outstanding, as "The Forgotten War" has not gotten proper due from Hollywood. Speaking of outstanding war movies, if you have Netflix, add this one to your queue:

Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo (Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War)

I'd rank this as one of the 20 best war movies of all time.

18. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, doesn't everybody? I thought that was a given ;)

Here's a fascinating book to add to your collection if you have a chance, speaking of the Forgotten War...

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Wonju-Gettysburg-J-D-Coleman/dp/1574882120"]Amazon.com: Wonju: The Gettysburg of the Korean War (9781574882124): J. D. Coleman: Books[/ame]

I have a close relative that is mentioned numerous times in this book. it is a little too operationally detailed for non-military types, but still a fascinating read.

19. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not a fan of military books, but I have a relatively low key summer so I will take a look at it, since your suggestions have always worked out in the past.

20. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a military history book it is very detailed, perhaps a little too detailed on the operational side...some readers may find the small unit minutiae a little too overwhelming - but it is integral to the description of the battle, in which a mixed unit regimental combat team (American, British, French) held out against a couple of CCF divisions; it is called the "Gettysburg" of that particular war as it marked kind of the high water mark for the CCF since their entry into the war; after defeat in that battle, the ChiComs never really regained the strategic initiative, leading to the eventual stalemate. The win at Won-ju was a huge morale booster for both the battered US Eighth Army and a validation of the appointment of General Matthew Ridgway (commander of the 82nd Airborne and XVIII Airborne Corps in WWII) as commander of the Eighth Army after the death of General Walton Walker (a protégé of General George Patton who commanded XX Corps in Patton's US 3rd Army in WWII) in a non-combat accident north of Seoul in late 1950. Some say the untimely death of General Walker, who was having a very difficult time of it and who could not stand up to General MacArthur (he had the same problem with Patton in WWII), may have been the best thing that could have happened for the Eighth Army, at the time....but, I give too much away.

Speaking of important battles, the PBS "Secrets of the Dead" episode about the Battle of Stalingrad is now available to watch online HERE. FWIW, this is an excellent episode, featuring commentary by the the aforementioned David Glantz and also Sergei Khrushchev. A must watch.

21. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Thanks, I missed it but just set up a DVR series recording for World at War

22. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I ended up buying the DVD set on the Military Channel's storefront. $70 was a good deal for the entire set plus the 4 bonus DVDs, which have not been publicly aired.

I could probably be talked into making a copy or two of the series, in case anyone is interested.

23. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    That would be way too nice, I can't even ask you to do that as much as I want to. Wouldn't feel right.

24. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    [​IMG]
    What's a battle? :D

25. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Zenit or zee, when it comes to WW2 how would you guys rate U.S. Marines compared to German infantry troops ? I know that a high ranking Nazi ( forget who ) once said that the Marines were just as effective as German paratroopers who were Nazi Germany's top troops of I'm not mistaken.