The Health Care Reform Effort - Part Deux

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by appoo, Jan 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, it's not. I'll give you a second to figure out why.

2. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should lose your because you are a shit mod.

3. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Why? Trig is where you learn about imaginary numbers.

4. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's an amazing coincidence that I posted something so incredibly sarcastic at the very moment your sarcasm detector went on the fritz.

5. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boo on me

6. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    I don't go out protesting, but I'll bet that the tea partiers have my take on it - very disgruntled at $300 billion deficits and aghast at $trillion deficits.

7. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
  8. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet, it's an amazing coincidence that they were nowhere to be seen while Bush was still in office.

9. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't really change a party while it's still in power. So there was really no point.

You know, after the GOP primaries I predicted this:

"The Paul wing will be a significant force in the GOP for years to come and RP, though a rambling ass right now will be a hero on the level of Barry Goldwater and Ronald Reagan when a candidate who is able to convey those views and not look like walking death wins the White House."

I was laughed out of the thread. Who do you all think the tea party people are? It's happening.

10. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    What, are you taunting me a second time?

11. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who said anything about changing the party in power? We didn't hear much except grumbling and ultimate acquiescence from those folks when the party closest to their worldview was putting $100 billion a year of war expenditures off the federal budget and passing Medicare Part D as completely deficit-financed and passing the PATRIOT Act and on and on...

They're the new pro-life movement -- a group of people to whom Republican politicians will pander every two or four years, a group of people who will only find their voices while a Democrat is in the White House, and a group of people who will submit in quiet acquiescence while a Republican is the White House and they are largely ignored in any way that actually matters.

12. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Did you use "Trig" as a reference to a child with Down-Syndrome? In place of retarded?

If you didn't, then I apologize.

13. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I'm saying is that I didn't see anyone taking to the streets when Medicare Part D was passed without so much as a care as to how it was going to be paid for, especially when the Boomers started retiring.

14. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't

15. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Then my apologies.

16. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. I don't apologize.
    Anywho it's bedtime in the desert. Have fun telling on me.

17. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    OK, a third time

If you're trying to channel Mel Brennan, you need to say the same thing three times with six paragraphs, in one post.

18. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you don't like being told the same thing three times, quit pretending he didn't just make a valid point...

19. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I'm so glad that you're so proud of using a child with down syndrome as a symbol of derision.

20. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's not just me then... :(

21. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    I can see two possible points from what he said, and neither are what I'd call "valid"

1) That the tea party people are hypocrites, much like the libs who hated Bush deficits

2) That the Obama deficits and bailouts and takeovers are OK because the tea partiers are hypocrites

22. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    The liberal case against Bush's spending policy wasn't "Deficits bad!" but rather that tax cuts for millionaires and stupid wars are a bad thing to blow the government's surplus on (not least because it leaves us low on fiscal ammo when there's a genuine need). There's no hypocrisy there whatsoever, at least for those who can appreciate politics at a level higher than the average eight-year-old.

By the way, the current deficit is also largely a "Bush deficit" - something that the teabaggers are either ignorant of or choose to ignore.

Not at all. There are two separate questions, which can can be considered separately.

Question #1 - Is the Obama/Bush approach to financial crisis, including bailouts, takeovers, and fiscal stimulus, likely to be an effective response? Answer: Maybe, maybe not (On the deficit, note again that the current deficit is mostly due to pre-Obama policies and the hit to tax revenues from the recession).

Question #2 - Is the "Tea Party" movement (and its backers in the GOP) largely based on ignorance or dishonesty, and basically deserving of ridicule? Answer: Yes.

23. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    No doubt, Bush was an obnoxious big government spender and the Iraqi war ill advised, but his deficits were at least sustainable. Obama, however, is taking us into uncharted waters. He can blame Bush all he wants, but foisting all kinds of additional long term commitments on the US taxpayer is freakin’ trigomonics.

24. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Now it's the Obama/Bush solution?

That has a nice ring to it. Obama is headed for where Bush was when he left office, but Obama will do it in half the time.

25. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Uh, yes. TARP, the AIG bailout, and the auto bailout were all enacted under Bush.