The Health Care Reform Effort - Part Deux

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by appoo, Jan 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

2. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The MS29 plan, all separate bills:

1) Eliminate the ban on purchasing prescription drugs from outside U.S. borders. We live in a global society now.

2) End the link between employment and health care by eliminating the tax break for employer-sponsored health care (making it income tax revenue neutral).

3) Allow for the sale of health insurance across state lines. This is one of the reasons we have a federal government, to regulate commerce among the several states.

That leaves two major issues I can think of. The first being cost, and the second being getting dropped from your plan for getting sick. On these items, I want to hear from a bunch of different groups on potential solutions.

But let's solve the easy points first, and get those out of the conversation.

3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Leaving aside the issue of whether something that's just simple logic can be either 'liberal' or 'conservative' for a moment, has anyone ever done a poll on whether Americans would support an expanded medicare that anyone can buy into?

http://www.nationaljournal.com/njonline/mp_20090629_2600.php

I think if Obama wants to achieve ANYTHING worthwhile on healthcare he should go back to basics and try and push for something that people know and have regard for. All this 're-inventing the wheel' stuff seems to frighten people or, more to the point, it allows the opposition to create fear.

4. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: The Health Care Reform Effert - Part Deux

Wouldn't that mean the tax-payer gets left with all the dross whilst the insurance industry gets to keep all the profitable business? :confused:

5. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey

I could support number 1. However, I'd force the insurance companies to petition the government for reimbursement for those that they were forced to accept. Put the burden of proof on the insurance companies to prove that it was a preexisting condition.

6. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

Now that I sit here and think about it....if you do anything to add to the Insurance Companies costs, without adding new customers, they are going to massively hike up rates on premiums to defray the added expenses.

If you're going to pass legislation that stops some of the nastier practices of the Health Insurance in industry, you need to pass legislation capping how much they can charge in premiums.

7. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if this poster understands why these two comments together are hilarious? My guess is no.

8. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    Yawn...did you not read the last thread?

10. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am aware. Are you aware that there are labor unions trying to get out of the Cadillac tax?

http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/liv...-24-10_A6_IPGD3B2.html?adsec=politics&sid=101

11. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This article contends that changing the filibuster rule (ie, making it so Senators actually have to filibuster) probably wouldn't matter that much.

http://balkin.blogspot.com/2010/01/make-them-filibuster.html

12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Didn't we already establish that a better name, (albeit slightly unwieldy), for it would be, 'The health insurance industries tax on being old'?

13. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If that was the case, why were filibusters so much more uncommon back when those rules were in effect?

14. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005

Umm...can you give me an example where price caps didn't result in a shortage? Unless you force insurance companies to stay in business like the little soviet that you are, insurance companies are going to drop out of the market if you institute a price cap. In large numbers I suspect, considering that their average profit margins are around 2-3%.

15. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Reread his point. He wasn't demanding caps. He was stating that if you require insurance companies to cover/not drop expensive customers, then without caps, all premiums will simply soar to economically unfeasible levels.

16. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999

It's not the case. That poster is being obtuse about the difference between delay and kill.

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would publicly regulated utilities like electric companies be an example?

18. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Not in California, circa 2001.

19. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

Or add a bunch of new customers and new money into the industry to cover the loss of profit. Which for now seems impossible thanks to the fears over the deficit and debt.

20. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Welcome to the stupidity of Gray Davis, who decided he should deregulate the supply of electricity to utilities, but freeze the rates they allowed Utilities to charge customers. As a result, the suppliers hiked up prices because there were so few providers in the market, while rates stayed the same so utilities were buying electricity for a lot more than they were selling....until they went default. That's not a great example.

21. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
  22. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm being obtuse? Or Professor Tushnet is?

23. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999

Tushnet is being obtuse about killing a bill before it's even out of the gate and delaying a bill that will, eventually, come up for a vote.

24. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thinking of the MLS CBA, is kinda see the same thing happening here (as you could argue it happened this summer with health care). Lots of smoke blowing and teeth nashing and threats of armageddon, but at the end of the day the path forward was clear and it would be suicidal to turn away.

I think the only outcome here is the senate health bill gets passed, some reconcilliation changes go through, Obama signs by this summer. Kicking and screaming the whole way though.

25. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Gray Davis is also a pretty rare example of a guy who was despised yet won re-election. His campaign manager described his strategy as "damaged goods vs. defective merchandise."

It's really hard to contest the depiction of California as flaky after that series of events leading to the recall and election of Arnold.