Come At me Brough: Brad Guzan at Middlesbrough

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by wsmaugham, Jul 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I know but still, allowing in 8 goals ain't gonna do much for your self esteem or the belief in your fellow players. I agree with ya. He's quite underrated now compared to his Heroics last year and it def wouldn't have killed JK had he allowed Howard some rest from playing him non-stop in every friendly last year. Guzan could have done just as well in those games.

CTS26 repped this.
  2. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Yeah, that game sounded a death knell for Lichaj's time at Villa, but if anything, it helped sell people on Guzan's abilities.

From the highlights, it didn't seem as though Guzan needed a strong performance today, though. The second yellow on William was a big and fortunate break for Villa.

deuteronomy and CTS26 repped this.
  3. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Guzan has clearly been on better form than Howard the last two years but that is a discussion for another topic. I am just glad he is at Villa. Really good goalie.

CTS26 repped this.
  4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    The first half of this season was arguably the best I have seen from Howard in years. But overall I agree to you. Guzan and Howard can push themselves, they really can and I hope that is what JK is doing. Making sure Howard doesn't get complacent, despite being the no.1 and Vice-Captain.

CTS26 and (TxT) repped this.
  5. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Villa go down 4-1 to Stoke with the Potters getting goals from that Crouching Peter, Hidden Cameron...

6. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4-1 loss to United today. Villa's defense was very poor yet again and Brad couldn't do much to stop the bleeding (it would be hard to pin the blame on him for the goals). He did have this nice save on Rooney though.

[​IMG]

7. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    As poor as Villa's defense has been the last two games, Villa's offense has been even worse. Agbonlahor and Weimann look nothing like they did last season and Benteke seems so disinterested nearly every game. Only Villa's midfield seems to be having a great season.

8. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brad Guzan is a giant killer.

They have beaten Chelsea, Arsenal and Man City.

(and he still has his Yank accent)

not quite as good a result yesterday.

[​IMG]

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/worldcupcentral/id/3313?cc=5901

CTS26 and Winoman repped this.
  10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
  11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    It's incredible how AV have gotten in recent years. I remember when I started following the PL back in 07 and AV was competing for that 4th CL spot and had great performers (Barry, Young, Agbonlahor, Laursen) and then somehow they just crashed over time like fighting relegation every match of last season. What's the club looking like going forward? Will they be able to keep Benteke or try and sell him once he regains his form?

12. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Don't remind me. I have been a villa fan for nearly a decade now and we weren't just competing for champions league, we were competing for the title at one point. I think it was '08 where we were 1st in the league come new year and 4 points clear of Man U in 2nd. The last 10 games of the season, Villa really screwed up bad. Winning only maybe 2 or 3 of those which sunk us to 6th.

Houllier took over after O'Neill jumped ship because Lerner refused to let him continue to spend millions on mediocre players. Houllier actually did okay finishing 9th, but Villa fans expected better considering O'Neill managed to finish 6th with a worse team. Houllier had to retire so Lerner made the worst decision possible and hired McLeish as his replacement. Whole season was garbage. This is what caused the Villa fans to turn on Lerner. McLeish barely kept us in the league despite having Downing and Young who were in fine form at the time. Lambert took over and another season of struggles happened, but there was talk of progress because Lambert was signing all these young players with promising futures. Now this season, Villa are only 1 point better than where they were last year. No real progress has been made except giving mediocre players bigger deals like Weimann. I think Lambert might get the sack at the end of the season depending how he does in the last fixtures. If he can't get villa over 40 points by the end of the season, there will have been no real progress.

Benteke is staying. Mediocre season with a injury means no team will want him for the price Villa will demand. Benteke signed a 5 year deal last summer with no release clause. Don't see him leaving soon.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  13. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4-1 loss to Swansea today. Villa's defense is bad. Brad is at fault somewhat for the 2nd goal, he shouldn't have thrown the ball out to Baker who had an awful clearance which led to Shelvey's goal. Nathan Baker was diabolical today.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Hull and Man City/Spurs away are the last games of the season. Very scary. I still can't believe they're in this situation. They're consistently inconsistent.

15. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Clueless manager with an even more clueless owner.

16. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh well... at least Guzan did pretty much guarantee to make the end of season highlights reel... conceded what is possibly the goal of the season from Jojo (not the one that Freddy Adu dated btw)

[​IMG]

GiallorossiYank and y-lee-coyote repped this.
  17. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of an innocent bystander though. Travesty that theres no pressure on Shelvey.

18. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don't get me wrong.... I'm not faulting him for it in anyway, that's just how good of a hit it was...

19. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That shot would be hard to get to if he was on his line, that curve and then the dip at the end for a postage stamp. Man that is one sweet hit.

20. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Return to Chivas Renamed all but confirmed after that one. :eek:

21. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Villa has allowed themselves to slip into a very precarious situation in the relegation battle. Their results have been horrendous the second half of the season and particularly recently.

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/premier-league/table/

As @LouisianaViking07/09 also pointed out, their remaining schedule is extremely challenging.
    The loss of Benteke has been huge, as many of us suspected.

The good news is that their goal differential (-17) is far better than their competitors.
    I genuinely hope this does not become a determining factor.

22. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Literally just one win out of those remaining 3 matches and we are safe. Everyone below us only has 2 games. Just one win Lambert, come on. Villa have been just utter garbage since Benteke's injury. I don't understand it. Like the whole team just went to hell.

23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Guzan has to keep a cleansheet against City. He just has to.

CTS26 and (TxT) repped this.
  24. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great save by Brad this past weekend.