The Gold Cup who would you like to see play.

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by DANNO49, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    No, your whole point was that him helping Hertha get promoted would mean he's called up. But that still does not mean he has played at a high level, like everyone else your so quick to disregard.

2. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I meant to say if Hertha gets promoted and Brooks remains a starter there's no way Klinsmann doesn't call him up.

3. sacpasse87

sacpasse87 Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Beijing
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think anyone is arguing that Brooks will get looks before Gonzalez and Besler as the two have already been invited to camps in the past...The reason that Klinsmann hasn't called in anyone young to the nats on the defensive side (save for Morales) is because there is a dearth of options there as evidenced during Olympic Qualifying...Our situation is such where we employ someone who doesn't even play CB at the club level...Klinsmann has even MENTIONED Edu in the conversation, a guy who has played 10 minutes of club soccer since May...so yea we're far from out the woods or having our CB's 1-5 sorted...If Brooks continues to play well through the rest of the season in a league that's more well-regarded than MLS, he will get a look, maybe not capped, but a look in camp which is far from an unreasonable assertion

bmo180 and BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  4. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gale Agbossoumonde was called in and capped on hype alone.

I'm not saying he's a lock. But i'm pretty damn confident that he's at the very least a contender, if not a frontrunner. You cannot assure anything of the sort.

sacpasse87 repped this.
  5. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    In a meaningless end-of-the-year friendly in a World Cup year.

I'll wager he isn't.

6. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    I'm pretty confident its better than MLS considering a bunch of Euro scrubs come here and dominate

Im sure Besler and Omar will and they deserve it, but we will have to call up more than 2 CBs. Ream sucks, Onyewu was awful in his last stint and has only had 1 decent game in Spain so far, he will have to do alot more before he's in the picture again

He is a starter and playing good on a really good team that could get promoted, in a very good league, grew up and plays in Jurgen's home country, Jurgen has been integrating young guys since he got here (Boyd, Agudelo, Corona, Gyau, Morales etc) I dont see how you can say there is 0 chance he will get a callup in the less important games coming up

Eleven Bravo and sacpasse87 repped this.
  7. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a lot of factors that could see him off the roster such as injury, drastic dip in form, change in club coach, or Klinsy may want to try out another young'in, but i'll take the wager that he is in given that you are so sure that he is not even on Klinsy's radar. Either way, I'd bet you that he's at least a lot closer to the full team than you think.

For what it's worth, I see (or at least hope) that Klinsy's first mission is to bring in Gonzalez and Besler to the fold. I'll be ok if he takes the wager on John, but wouldn't be surprised if he passed given that he should be looking overseas this winter and his poor season. And I could see him choosing Hines over him right now. I pray he isn't so stuck in his ways that he will consider Onyewu again... All signs point to the fact that he probably won't unless Gooch becomes a regular for Malaga. Also, at some point he is going to have to consider other options other than Bocanegra and Goodson. That leaves you Orozco and Ream as the Brooks' main competition along with fellow youngsters Hedges, Okugo, and Berry. Although, I'll bet you anything that Klinsy favors his German boy over them (although they might be called first due to camp cupcake).

And please note the difference between advocating for a young and promising center back like Brooks who is starting to emerge for a reputable club like Hertha over a kneejerk reaction or fantasy dream of bringing in a guy like Packwood or Alvarado.

CTS26, Chance, sacpasse87 and 2 others repped this.
  8. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    And let's be honest, the Agbossoumonde call up looks pretty silly now that he has fallen off the face of the Earth. Gonzalez is next in line and has only not gotten time because of injury. I think after him, there is more or less a grab bag of guys who may or may not pan out. I'm mildly intrigued by Hines, but not at all convinced a second division guy is exactly going to be our savior and wouldn't currently put him over the MLS candidates, or below really. Still, 'Boro get promoted and he keeps his spot going into next year and suddenly he starts looking like a real contender.

9. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WCQ Roster:
    Goalkeepers: Tim Howard, Sean Johnson, Bill Hamid
    Right Backs: Timmy Chandler, Michael Parkhurst
    Right CB: Geoff Cameron, Seb Hines
    Left CB: Omar Gonzalez, Matt Besler
    Left Backs: Fabian Johnson, Edgar Castillo
    Holding CM: Daniel Williams, Dax McCarty
    Two-Way CM: Michael Bradley, Mikkel Diskerud
    Attacking CM: Landon Donovan, Graham Zusi
    Right FW: Herculez Gomez, Josh Gatt
    Left FW: Jozy Altidore, Brek Shea
    Striker: Clint Dempsey, Eddie Johnson

------------Altidore-----Dempsey------Gomez-----------
    ------------------(C) Bradley-----Donovan---------------
    --------------------------Williams-------------------------
    Johnson--------------------------------------------Chandler
    ----------------Gonzalez----------Cameron----------------
    ----------------------------Howard---------------------------

Bench: Johnson, Besler, Parkhurst, McCarty, Zusi, Gatt, Johnson

Gold Cup Roster:
    Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan, Steve Clark, Ryan Meara
    Right Backs: Steve Cherundolo, Jonathan Spector
    Center Backs: John Anthony Brooks, George John
    Center Backs: Carlos Bocanegra, Clarence Goodson
    Left Backs: Eric Lichaj, Greg Garza
    Holding CM: Maurice Edu, Conor O' Brien
    Two-Way CM: Jermaine Jones, Jose Francisco Torres
    Attacking CM: Sacha Kljestan, Joe Corona
    Right FW: Juan Agudelo, Chris Wondolowski
    Left FW: Chris Pontius, Nick DeLeon
    Striker: Terrence Boyd, Will Bruin

--------------Pontius----Boyd------Agudelo-----------
    -------------------Jones-------Kljestan-----------------
    ---------------------------Edu---------------------------
    Lichaj-------------------------------------------Cherundolo
    -------------(C) Bocanegra-----Brooks-----------------
    ---------------------------Guzan-------------------------

Bench: Clark, Goodson, Spector, O' Brien, Torres, DeLeon, Bruin

Alternates:
    GK: Kennedy, Hall, Rimando, Gruenebaum
    FB: Myers, Morrow, Beitashour, Sinovic, Pearce, Alston, Sarkodie, S. Williams
    CB: Okugo, Hedges, Berry, Ream, Whitbread, Orozco, Soares, Marshall
    MF: Cronin, Kitchen, Beckerman, Clark, Evans, Bedoya, Holden, Gaven, Silva, Davis, Morales, Feilhaber
    FW: Gordon, Wooten, Magee, Adu, Gyau, Cooper, Sapong, Beasley, Duka, Nguyen, McInerney

CTS26 and Mr Martin repped this.
  10. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Holden is even a shadow of himself then I say either Conor O' Brien or Dax McCarty get dropped. And Holden makes the Gold Cup roster. Personally, I wouldn't call Holden in until then.

11. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's hard for me to imagine a scenario where Bocanegra and Cherundolo are dropped from the WCQ roster but then brought back for the Gold Cup.

Yeah I'm not putting any timeline or expectation on Holden. He has missed close to 2 years. I'd love for him to be back by the Gold Cup, but I really think we should wait until he's demonstrating good form before we talk about when he could be back with the national team. I'm just happy he's back training.

braun repped this.
  12. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can agree with you on Holden.

On Boca and Dolo, it's probably more likely that Klinsy wants them for the WCQ roster too, but if i were the man in charge and if one of the young center backs like Gonzales or Besler stepped up in the way Cameron has then I would see about saving their experience for a young and mostly untested "b team."