The Gold Cup who would you like to see play.

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by DANNO49, Oct 20, 2012.

1. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012

this looks very reasonable, anyone on a hex game day roster, i doubt does gold cup

you cant play 12 months a year, the core talent bypasses gold cup

BUT i can see 4-5 gold cup guys PLAING 2nd half of the hex

2. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Brook isn't getting called into USMNT for Gold Cup over more polished centerbacks like Gonzalez, Besler, John and maybe even Onyewu.

He has potential, but this cycle is not one in which he will integrate himself into senior team.

3. sacpasse87

sacpasse87 Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Beijing
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not so sure about that, if he continues to do well for Hertha through the end of the season, he will be integrated into the squad because of his potential. Gonzalez will (hopefully) be starting for the A squad by then and John hasn't been in form for like a year...Onyewu han't performed at the International level for years now so I really wouldn't count Brooks out at this point a strong 6'6 cb who's good with the ball at his feel? CAP HIM SOON

bmo180 repped this.
  4. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    experience doesnt = better, and there will be enough games to give all of those guys a look

5. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Wrong. He was solid last year before another knee injury took its toll. And Klinsmann has even mentioned him as a possible player while NEVER uttering Brooks' name. If Brooks is playing anywhere this summer, it'll be at the U-20 World Cup. That's it.

You're both wrong. When is the LAST time a young, barely pro centerback was called into USMNT and given a heavy dose of minutes? Closest thing you might find is Tim Ream last year and even then he was 23, had played four years in college and a full season and a half as a pro.

Brooks will NOT be called in to the Gold Cup. That I can assure you. I'd even bet on it.

6. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    not a CB but Terrence Boyd, Alfredo Morales got callups. Brooks is currently playing against imo better competition (and doing well) than all of our CBs but Cameron, Onyewu (bad form) Whitbread/Hines. And dont forget Brooks is a very comfy on the ball and a good distributor from the back which is something Jurgen has been looking for (and unlike Ream he hasnt been a liability defensively)..and he's also Germarican, which is pretty much a guarantee he will get a callup

sacpasse87 repped this.
  7. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he keeps starting and Hertha gets promoted back to the Bundesliga he will be with the USMNT, we only have 2 CB's playing in a top league Cameron and Gooch but Gooch isn't a starter for Malaga.

8. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006

...or he will hold out in order to keep his options open.

9. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt he will hold out to keep his options open if he gets called up to the senior USMNT.

10. sacpasse87

sacpasse87 Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Beijing
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was solid for Sporting, but NOT at the International level, aka the Nats, just ask Peter Byers...I dont think you appreciate the precedent that Klinsmann has set with his callups, remember Terrance Boyd?? I remember the last barely pro Bund 2 CB we dropped the ball with, He's one of the best in Europe now....

All that said, your assertion is well of the mark for the reasons above, along with your categorically ruling out any situation where Brooks does get capped within the next year....

BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  11. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann singled out Oguchi Onyewu, Timothy Chandler, Brek Shea, Danny Williams and Kyle Beckerman as the best performers in the 1-0 loss to Ecuador with a clear indication that they will figure prominently in his team moving forward.

“He’s back, that’s the easiest way to say it and it’s awesome to see,” Klinsmann said of Onyewu, who played the full 90.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...oss-klinsmann-begins-identify-his-key-players

12. sacpasse87

sacpasse87 Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Beijing
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol read my post before the one you quoted, I said he hadn't done anything of note for the NATs in over a year, that game was Oct 11, 2011 so my point stands...

13. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Stop cherry picking.

14. sacpasse87

sacpasse87 Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Beijing
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How am I cherrypicking lol? My original point was basically that no one should categorically count Brooks out because it's not as if the alternatives are not without their faults in their candidacy for the NATs...With regard to Gooch, we've obviously seen that a meaningless friendly against Ecuador doesn't mean you're back as we saw what happened last summer...

BimmerBenz95 and bmo180 repped this.
  15. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has been playing at DM, RB and LB for Stoke but he still did a good job at CB when we played Russia.

16. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hes an american and he has played well for stoke. at least give cameron credit for making contributions to his team. jeez.

17. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tactically defensive per the usual.

Dont take it so serious. He is going to be our starting CB because he can play the position. Unfortunately stoke have CBs that are better than him.

But his quality is enough that Pulis has to put him out there. he has done well.

Your argument that because he doesnt play CB he shouldnt be ours or Im sorry your vague argument to bimmer since being vague is so easy.

I would rather take a forcible stand and just say it and be wrong then play the possibly maybe supposedly game.

Just say YOU ARE WRONG here IS WHY and let it stand.

In the marketplace of ideas if you are right it will be evident. truth prevails. more dialogue is better than someone just putting someone down and saying you are dumb and stupid so it isnt worth arguing with you.

Well if you are so superior in knowledge then it should be evident that you have a reason why another CB would be better than Cameron because of the position argument.

I think there is some merit to the position argument. It makes sense. It would be nice to not put people out of position. but in Camerons case I think we can make an exception.

18. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am 31. Will be 32 in a month. It is a message board. If this is where you feel the need to be an unfeigned dignitary of the soccer community, I would hasten to say no one gives a ********.

This is for fun. Have fun with it.

Enjoy yourself! I mean if this is just a place for you to feel superior to people so be it.

But I don't need to have validation from a message board to feel adequate.
    This is just a place to blow off steam enjoy US soccer and all things footie and have some fun discussing the beautiful game for fun.

This is a hobby. If everything in life needs to be analytical and sedate then where is the fun in that?

This is a drunken argument over SPORTS. It is just a game have fun with it!

19. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok show how they are embarrassingly misguided then. This is what a discussion is for.

Just because you label something misguided without giving anything.

If Plato worked this way there would be two line that said....look these people over here are dumb and only think they see reality, but they dont. they are dumb and I understand everything because I just do.

Thankfully he elaborated a lot more on this idea and his writings went on and on and on to get to the truth.

Go for it! this is what this medium is for! hoo rah!

20. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I rarely hear anyone really pushing their ideas. I love it when GVPATS just rams idea after idea at me. he gets tired and frustrated when I dont plaintively go along with it.

BUT he fights hard and thats good. Its a message board. It should be epic strings of people jousting for truth.

sometimes GVPATS just tells me hey you can't argue with them because they know more than you so just be quiet and accept what they say to be true.

I will never be that kind of person who just accepts something because someone is said to be an expert.

I think you are very smart, I think we have very bright informed people on here.

But to have the rigor to believe in an argument, vocalize this argument and continue to defend it and believe in it with evidence, proof and retesting and more proof. My god. It is a beautiful thing.

But I can't just accept someones anonymous word over the internet just as much as I cant accept a flying spaghetti monster or God or any other supposed authority that should be obeyed.

Cause some ruckus! Ruffle the feathers. Have fun!

I apologize that I put words in your mouth though.

And I do think I have accepted other peoples opinions after multiple discussions and visible proof being shown of their argument.

21. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well in his tenure he hasn't had a bright game yet.
    He was bought in the last second out of desperation.
    He scored a goal against Man United yes.
    But in his matches he really is completely invisible. This is something that has been complained about in the USMNT as well.

He does retain shape and get back. But when he gets the ball he loses it, makes a bad pass or just falls over and hopes for a foul.

I have watched every single match he has played for tottenham. It has been ugly. Really bad.

Admittedly I am being spurious and a little harsh to liven conversation when I say he gives NOTHING and he is the worst ever but honestly this is a theme for the past month on the spurs board and it isnt like every single person on there is like me, they have some really smart guys who can watch and say he is invisible and sometimes looks completely lost to the game itself. Not the team but just the actual playing of the game.

This is mostly a dip in confidence and form. (he isnt used to fans booing or saying nasty things....:(....but it comes with the territory)

I think he has some quality in some ways but ultimately Michael Bradley is just a better player. I watch him change a game. I watch him play last weekend and just shine. Defend well, position himself well, make good passes, make smart runs and look two or three plays ahead.

He is a gem.

Dempsey has no idea what he is going to do sometimes. It is evident.

22. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sometimes he does some bright things. its also hard on him because we had luka modric.

I think losing him has painted a grim picture of passing play for other players.

he is one of the best in the world at it.

he is a maestro at times.

Watching other players pass can be painful with many years of Luka in our minds it is a tough place to come to.

He was a genius.

23. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Better competition? What are you basing that off of exactly?

Gonzalez and Besler will BOTH get looks before a teenage Brooks who has not even played a full season. You can count on that. There's a reason why they're mentioned or called in while you have not heard a peep about Brooks from Klinsmann. And this is without mentioning guys like John (who has been called in before) and Ream (who Klinsmann repeatedly mentions). Shoot, I'd rate Brooks on par with Okugo right now and even then a slight argument can be made in favor of Okugo because he's a more experienced player.

And Boyd plays forward. Goalkeepers and defenders tend to evolve at a later period in their careers, which is WHY Brooks will be at the U-20 World Cup this summer (if anywhere) donning a U.S. shirt.

So "IF" he helps Hertha get promoted he is going to get a look without playing in a Bundesliga game because others are not playing in a top league? Well, neither is he.

Really? Onyewu did well vs. Ecuador and Honduras in friendlies and was on way back before another injury ruled him out.

Klinsmann has set a precedent with YOUNG midfielders/attackers. NOT defenders and NOT even when Cherundolo and Bocanegra are getting up there in age. He hasn't brought in any young defender on a consistent basis since being in charge.

24. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why I said if he keeps starting.

25. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club: