The Global Warming Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by NickyViola, Nov 30, 2009.

Tags:
  1. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Re: Climategate: it's all unravelling now

You realize it wasn't until the very recent past that we had even the slightest clue about the "exact process" of gravity, right? And technically... we still don't know the "exact process".
    Yet we still knew gravity existed for centuries without knowing any of the why/how.

2. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Let's start with the thread starter. Inhofe is another.

I didn't say "attack science", I said "attack the science". Most of the reaction to the CRU issue is not at all reasonable. Like the claim that this somehow means that global warming is "unraveling".

Of course there is active research still going on vis-a-vis evolution. There is a lot to learn. But there is NO DOUBT that evolution has occurred, and is still occurring. Despite the fact that 61% of Americans are unsure or worse.

Of course there is a lot still to learn. But we do know that CO2 concentrations have gone up 38% since the Industrial Revolution. We know that methane concentrations have increased by 138%. We know about 3/4ths of this CO2 concentration comes from industrial emissions (the other 25% primarily from land use changes). We know that CO2 concentrations have not been this high in about 20 million years. We know that CO2 is not the prime "greenhouse gas" (that would be water vapor), but we don't know precisely how much CO2 contributes to the greenhouse effect. We know that temperatures are on the rise. We know that historically CO2 tracks temperature very closely. None of these things are particularly controversial amongst climate scientists.

The discussion should be about what policy decisions are appropriate. And I think there's a lot of room for discussion there. But that's not what we've got.

3. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They should report the story, but since it has not been proven to be a fraud -- and likely won't be, you should just keep watching GOP news for the latest on it. And I'm sure they'll incude more proof that the earth is only 6,000 years old in their science coverage.

4. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Don't forget Intelligent Design

5. Oceans of time

Jun 26, 2007
    Chicago

It looks like this thread is starting to peter out with the WC draw and all so I just want to try and find some common ground. Scotch17, I am willing, as a skeptic to admit there is a possibility that global warming is caused by man. Are you willing to reciprocate and admit there is a possibility that global warming isn't caused by man?

6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

LOL! might as well try to agree on which is the group of death.

7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Re: Global Warming Raw Data Lost? Destroyed?

I think it's time to merge these two threads, as we are basically discussing the same issues.

8. bit_pattern

bit_pattern New Member

Oct 30, 2009

I think we should come to some middle ground on other scientific disciplines.

Can we not agree that while some animals may have evolved others were created by G_d Almighty himself?

Or can we not agree that some heavenly bodies strech the space-time contimuum, while others are simply flat?

Let's build a consensus here people!

Meanwhile...

Surely they have nothing to lose from climate change, surely they just have our best interests at heart? God bless the Truth Seekers [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. bit_pattern

bit_pattern New Member

Oct 30, 2009

Excellent idea, I was mulling over whether to link the above article in both threads or whether that would just be an overkill.

10. scotch17

scotch17 Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Entebbe
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I think the current questions are to what extent global warming is caused by us and exactly what are the best policies going forward.

Also, don't believe anything ASF says. Group G is the Group of Death. :D

11. bit_pattern

bit_pattern New Member

Oct 30, 2009

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nnVQ2fROOg&feature=PlayList&p=A4F0994AFB057BB8&index=5"]YouTube- 6. Climate Change -- Those hacked e-mails[/ame]

12. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So, this is just evidence that you don't understand AGW/CC. It's not an either/or. You will never be able to find a climate scientist who doesn't believe that there are natural climate cycles and that some portion of our current warming trend is due to those cycles.

13. bit_pattern

bit_pattern New Member

Oct 30, 2009

^^ Exactly, what is important is understanding what causes any change in question, evidence of change is not an argument in itself.

14. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra

The ranking member of the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee, for one.

15. Adiaga Two

Adiaga Two Member+

Oct 4, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh, a Republican politician denying global warming. Stop the presses.

16. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

Maybe this thread can be renamed to include the Copenhagen conference?

Pretty cool media offensive for once.....

'Fourteen days to seal history's judgment on this generation'

[​IMG]

17. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What conservatives and other deniers have never tried to explain is why they are against this issue, when there really is no downside to creating renewable energy resources...except of course to the coal and oil companies who donate to their...

Oh. Never mind.

18. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

Don't forget that conservatives would rather go communist than admit the dirty ******* hippies might be right about something

1 person likes this.
  19. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta

I'm all for creating renewable energy sources.... I just don't believe crippling restrictions and stiffling taxes are the way achieve that goal.

20. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I remember when the car companies -- at least the US ones -- squealed about how there was no way they could do better with car milegae standards.

Then gas hit $4 a gallon and all of a sudden we have hybrids coming out our asses.

Sometimes it takes a little incentive to make things happen.

21. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I've come to the conclusion that instead of a "cap and trade" bill, we need to just tax gasoline at about $1 per gallon.

We use 142 billion gallons of gasoline per year.

So in addition to reducing the budget deficit by 142 billion dollars per year we would also give everyone an incentive to buy more efficient cars.

22. Adiaga Two

Adiaga Two Member+

Oct 4, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But that plan would involve PAYING A TAX!!! The horror.

Don't you understand the only way to make this country great again is cut government assistance to poor people?

23. PhillyQuakesFan

PhillyQuakesFan New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And the US automakers are doing just great, too.

24. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I highly recommend checking out Ars Technica's take on this entire debacle. They have been pretty levelheaded, thorough and overall comprehensive. Some of the better coverage I've seen thus far on this issue.