The Future of Gol TV

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by vevo5, Aug 17, 2012.

1. jhernandez86

jhernandez86 Member

Sep 22, 2004
    I second that motion

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
  4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I remember correctly they also show a few Mexican D2 games, I believe on tape delay, I do not have GOLTV (DishNetwork) so I can not confirm this.

Also the US Open cup for the next few years.

5. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    Uruguayan league, european World Cup qualifiers (home matches for Wales, Rep. Ireland, Sweden, Kazakhstan, Faroe Islands, Austria, Ukraine, Montenegro).

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

6. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is correct. They play them on Friday nights

7. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Anyone have any idea why goltv didnt show fridays bundesliga match. I know it wasnt exactly a cracker on paper but they usually show 4-5 bundesliga matches per weekend.

8. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Gol tv not on my comcast as of today either in spanish or english. When do they die? How am I going to get bundesliga this weekend?

9. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    They are dying a slow painful death.

As a Dish subscriber I don't care much since they left. And Now that BEIN is in existence things are even better in my mind. Don't miss them at all.

10. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I only care for GolTV because of the Bundesliga: if it wasn't there, I would not watch the channel at all. And I would take it a step further and say that since NBC picked up the rights for the EPL (starting next season), I would not be surprised if FSC make a play to GolTV for the Bundesliga TV rights in the US.

Otherwise, what would be FSC's main course to offer? Women's college soccer?

11. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    German League to FSC would be nice. And it makes sense. Dutch League and Scottish League can only take you so far. I guess they can replay Lot's of champions League stuff on he weekends too.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  12. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goltv was booted from directv now it is not on comcast cable in the chicago area.

13. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    Re: GOL-TV.....why do I have the image of Comcast hammering nails into a coffin and hearing the screams from inside the coffin: "Hey, we're not dead. We're not dead yet!!!"

Unlike satellite, I assume that cable has a little more bandwidth available to add channels - especially those not in HD. The replacement of GOL-TV by beINSport started with DirecTV and now seems "the norm". I highly doubt any of these providers know or understand (or care to understand, for that matter) the different rights that the 2 channels hold. "Oh, you have Barca and Real Madrid? Well, you must be the replacement." At least DirecTV had the common sense to "relegate" the channel into the Spanish Package where it actually fits.

And what aboout GOL-TVs reaction to all of this? Isn't there some sort of carriage agreement in place? If I don't see a lawsuit filed in the next few days/weeks, I'm gonna start thinking that this has long been orchestrated already between beIN, GOL-TV and the carriers. Just sayin'....

SA

14. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    I wanted to unload on comcast forum today but it seems their website is messed up also. When I signed in, it said that I was banned from using the forum which doesn't make sense since I never said anything that would warrant that. I noticed lack of outcry over goltv dissapearance. This explains why.

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Hypothetically, all a cable broadcaster needs is one channel. Realistically, they must be pushing through legislation to drop the analog cable in favor of the digital much like it was done OTA.

The other big shoe in the future is the new/updated compression algorithms that will let them squeeze more info through the existing bandwidth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Efficiency_Video_Coding

16. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    make a million accounts and complain :D

But, it is sad to see Gol going bye-bye on Comcast. I have DTV and i would prolly need a new satellite to watch anyways, but still, its there, but on Comcast, its not

17. jhernandez86

jhernandez86 Member

Sep 22, 2004

I am still getting GoltvHD in TWC Los Angeles, but lossing Comcast, Goltv will have a terrible time staying at flow. It is only a matter of time before we see Goltv disappear here in the states.

18. hwkn

hwkn Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm also still getting GolTv on Uverse but I read that their contract is up at the end of this month so I might be losing it too.

19. cescfabregas

cescfabregas Member

Oct 2, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Good riddance to utter rubbish.

Clenbuterol repped this.
  20. Emperor_Norton

Jun 14, 2007
    If you are annoyed by the lack of Bundesliga coverage in the Unites States write to DFL SE executives and employees and tell them about the status quo in the US.

The DFL SE is in charge of the Bundesliga`s international broadcasting rights.

You can contact them via http://dfl-sports-enterprises.com/en/Unser_team.html - all of them should speak English.

21. CCinGermany

CCinGermany Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expressed my frustration with the situation via Twitter to beIN's Phil Schoen, himself a former GolTV man. He toed the company line of "don't blame us, blame your provider...there is room for many channels!"

No, I wouldn't expect on-air talent to be privy to any behind the scenes machinations. Having said that, I am quite certain that at least part of beIN's approach to Comcast and other providers is along the lines of "here is why our product is more desirable than Gol's". I am really angry that innocent Bundesliga fans are being victimized in a grab for a ridiculously tiny media pie.

22. Makandal

Makandal Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Cambridge, MA (USA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    It's the providers who as usual wanting to shortchange their customers, decide we're not going to add a channel like that and leave everything as is. If we add a channel like that let's remove another one. In this case they decide that GolTV is the one that would have to go. BeIN has nothing to do with this. GolTV has always been threatened to be pulled in the past way before BeIN was in the picture and even when they had La Liga and Europa League. In fact Dish Network didn't wait for an excuse like adding BeIN to get rid of GolTV.

23. Roti2000

Roti2000 Member

Apr 27, 2012
    In our market, Comcast took away GolTV and justified it to me by saying they now have LAS (Latin American Sports).

The bulk of LAS programming is Puerto Rican and Cuban baseball with some Mexican basketball thrown in! I can see maybe the Puerto Rican baseball might appeal to some folks, but I would think Gol would get way more viewers.

I am actually a big baseball fan, so I was interested in seeing some of these Caribbean leagues, but--man--the LAS production quality is really bad! Like a poor high school production. Audio sounds like its going through a telephone and the lighting is really poor.

I also wondered how LAS deals with the Cuban embargo.

24. jhernandez86

jhernandez86 Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Ok, so Goltv has also operations in South America, and apparently they are in such financial mess, that they are thinking on closing the Miami office and operate out of the Montevideo office. But, this may only be the beginning of worst things to come.

They lost content hence carriers in both LATAM and US.

25. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yes. Out of Montevideo because one of the owners I believe, is Enzo Francescoli (Uruguayan legend). He must be pretty pissed with how things are going for his company...