The Future of Gol TV

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by vevo5, Aug 17, 2012.

1. matty311

matty311 Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Geogre Metellus was definitely a loss. New guy seems to be doing all the hosting/commentating these days. It does seem like GOL TV is dying a slow and painful death, although I imagine they will still be viable next year since they have Bundesliga rights for one last season. I hope they stick around after 2014, for the simple fact that there is content they show that I'm not sure will get picked up anywhere else.

Makandal repped this.
  2. moutinho777

moutinho777 Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    There is so much out there for GolTV to grab. Italian Serie B would be a great addition along with Portuguese Liga Zon Sagres & the Portuguese Segunda Divisiao & they will have a "Liguilha" the league will now have 18 teams the 16th place vs 3rd place from 2nd division to see who gets the promotion/relegation. Plenty of Brazilian soccer. The Dutch Eredivisie. They still have National team friendlies too which is good. I think beIN should buy out GolTV along with the suggested properties if available. I think Ligue 2 from France would be good too.

3. Makandal

Makandal Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Cambridge, MA (USA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    Would those leagues really want to sell to GolTV seeing that they're being kicked out of the major TV providers lineups?

4. FCB02062

FCB02062 Member

Jun 20, 2007
    South of Boston, MA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I can't even get Gol in English on Fios - I have to subscribe to the spanish package just so I can watch Bayern Munich - in spanish and I don't even speak spanish!

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    You won't have to worry about that anymore starting next season. Fox picked up Bundesliga rights.

6. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not until the 2015-2016 season. GolTV stil has one more year after the end of this one.

HomietheClown repped this.
  7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I stand corrected.
    One more season of Gol TV purgatory then.

8. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One advantage to the loss of some of the other items they had is that we are seeing 4 BL games this weekend instead of the inevitable Bayern game plus a Bayern rerun from the past week. That got old (and yes, I realize that we're usually going to get the Bayern match--I just hated having a rerun as a replacement for a live game).

9. moutinho777

moutinho777 Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    #459 moutinho777, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
    They should sell to beIN. In other countries theres beIN 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. Why not make another channel or 2 (1 would be established as GolTV just obviously rename/rebrand the channel) & they would be able to show all the rights they own especially Serie A & Ligue 1 which barely get any air time. I think a beIN 1-3 would suffice, then you might be able to show any other properties they might purchase which they should with the exception of Englands BPL.

Makandal repped this.
  10. moutinho777

moutinho777 Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    What about SAP button is it available in English? Let me know if it does because if it does ill get GolTV lol.

11. matty311

matty311 Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    It was disappointing that they didn't pick up Liga Sagres games, especially after it was hinted on twitter that they were super close to securing the rights. I think all those leagues suggested would be great to get on tv, the more the better. I just worry that they have a such a small audience/footprint on providers as it is, i can't see how they are in any way making any sort of profit. How many people are tuning into MX Ascenso or Uruguayan League games?? Even Eredivise or non Bayern/Dortmund games have to have the nichest of niche audiences.
    And now with BEIN sport taking over marketplace, there doesnt' seem to be any room for GOL Tv to grow.
    It also hasn't helped that Bayern destroyed the Bundesliga this year, which hasn't made for a ton of dramatic viewing.

moutinho777 repped this.
  12. FCB02062

FCB02062 Member

Jun 20, 2007
    South of Boston, MA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah but im a bit skeptical about how they're going to cover the b'liga. I have a feeling we won't see many games on fs1or fs2. Perhaps some live games on deportes but I've got a feeling the vast majority of b'liga games will be on fox soccer 2 go or on fs+

13. FCB02062

FCB02062 Member

Jun 20, 2007
    South of Boston, MA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I wish. ..thereq no "reverse" sap button :)

14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    We'll see. Bayern will get priority of course but there's a chance they will cover all the teams that have USA connections or possible USA connections depending on if Klinsi can recruit them. :D

15. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure they'd love to sell to beIN. But what's in it for beIN?

16. moutinho777

moutinho777 Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    beIN would be the obvious leader for soccer in the U.S. They would be able to force there way on some basic packages like NBCSN is & make more money, more viewers, & that would make them established & even more relevant. They should do for overflow matches what NBCSN does for the BPL, put it in the on demand section like cable or like DirecTV dedicated overflow channels.

17. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NBC has pull for this (as they are also owned by Comcast as well as being a national network). beIN doesn't. What is nice for the fan isn't always what pays the bills for the cable companies.

18. 7spencer7

7spencer7 Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Outside Boston
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you have fios you can get GolTV in english. In your cable box settings you have to change the audio language to spanish. this is an across the board setting so every channel will start feeding you the secondary audio channel which usually happens to be spanish. On GolTV it's english but since the cable box assumes the primary audio on every channel is english it's labeled as spanish. When you're done watching GolTV you'll have to go back to your settings and set it back to english or every channel with secondary audio will default to spanish for you.

This was my experience with fios in Woburn, MA.

19. FCB02062

FCB02062 Member

Jun 20, 2007
    South of Boston, MA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I will definitely try this...thx!

20. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure...beIN wants to be in more homes, and with more channels in the ideal world. Would scooping up the remains of GolTV really get them any closer? With the declining distribution and staff attrition they hardly have any compelling assets left.

beIN has its work cut out for themselves with their existing 2 channels. Either way they're not going to get 7 overflow slots anytime soon.
    • Getting both beIN/beIN ñ in HD on all major providers
      • SD only on Comcast
    • Getting adjacent/nearby channels
      • I get 429 & 651
    • Distribution on standard mid-tier packages and both the Sports and Spanish add-ons
    • Improve online streaming performance, distribution and game lineup
      • Spotty performance and login quirks when I was with U-verse
      • Not offered through Comcast
      • Could use more games as beIN owns the rights to many more than they air
    • Optimize scheduling (i.e. common complaint of showing Barca/Real on both channels simultaneously)

TJNash repped this.
  21. mat r.

mat r. Member

Jan 17, 2013
    New Mexico
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    i don't want BeIN Sport to get the bundesliga rights. i don't want them anywhere near them. all they would show are the bayern munich and dortmund games. clubs like mainz, augsburg, hoffenheim, freiburg and they newly promoted sides would hardly get any exposure. all they focus on in Ligue 1 is PSG and monaco, all they focus on in italy is the milan club, the rome clubs, juvi and fiorentina and all they focus on in spain is real, barca and atletico. it's out of the realm of possibility you will get a nantes-reims match, a chievo-sassuolo match or a almeria-rayo vallecano match on your TV. plus, don't get me started on how they treat the football league championship. when fox had the premier league, most of the matches were covered rather if it were live or tape delayed. every club got coverage. when they had the championship, they aired two matches a weekend. once again, every club in that tier also got coverage. when they had Ligue 1 and Serie A, every club got coverage as well. fox does a brilliant job whereas BeIN Sport is biased towards the bigger clubs and helps the rich get richer. they could care less about the clubs on the lower end of the table and i've always believed you market the league as a whole, not a selected few individual clubs. imaging if CBS only aired new england patriots games or fox only aired dallas cowboys games or if NBC only aired pittsburgh steelers games and to top it off, the play by play and color guys are biased towards the team they are calling. what about the browns or the rams or the bills, how do they get coverage and why should they suffer because there not a team with a big television market or a big fanbase??? fox will do great with the bundesliga if they air 2-3 live games a weekend and air a few tape delayed games on fox soccer plus, plus a preview show before the weekend and a review show on monday. i'm eagerly awaiting with baded breath the best league in the world, bar none, the bundesliga back on my television screen and hope fox treats it like it treated the premier league so we can enjoy the bundesliga how it should be enjoyed. BeIN Sport needs to whip out their textbooks because they could learn alot from FSC and FS+.

jollygrunt repped this.
  22. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On demand on the online streaming platform would be good too. I'm on the West Coast, and if the game is exclusively on BeINSportsPlay early in the morning (English Championship, Russian Premier League), there's no way to watch it later. The login issues on the website are largely resolved the last few weeks, and the performance has been very good.

23. CCinGermany

CCinGermany Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take a deep breath. Fox gets it back starting season after next.

24. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought everyone knew that...

25. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #475 tigersoccer2005, May 16, 2014
    Last edited: May 16, 2014
    I don't think it's so much a question of BeIn hating the small teams, i think it's a question of BeIn being interested in broadcasting those games that it knows will most likely gather the most ratings or hoopla for its channel.
    As an example: Sunderland vs Stoke is not going to get as many eyeballs as Liverpool vs Chelsea-- it may be unpalatable but it is fact.

But all hope is not lost--if a team manages to challenge for a title then they will be covered. Atletico started to get massive coverage on BeIn mostly this year when they started challenging Barca and Real. Before that, BeIn limited their coverage of La Liga mostly to just Barca/Real.

This year on Serie A on BeIn i was able to enjoy games from Juve, AC Milan, Inter Milan, Roma, Lazio, Napoli, and Fiorentina---that's a pretty good selection despite the fact that Juve was well on their way to destroying all competition for the league title months before the end of the season.