The Front Office Purge of 2012

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DCWarrior, Nov 27, 2012.

1. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wilt - Stewart 2013!

But seriously, I really think Ernie Stewart would be a brilliant choice to replace Kaspar.

2. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    o please, that means no :D

fatbastard repped this.
  3. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't say I'm upset by this news. And I think the new owners know how important a good relationship between the front office and the supporters is. At least I hope so.

And I'll be shocked if Zack still has a job. He was Payne's guy.

4. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Stewart as a technical director would fit right in with our academy vision. He would expand on the Dutch tactical/technical movement we have with Silooy. He's an x team mate of Jaime, so there should be a good working relationship there.

Furthermore he's a former team mate of Ben at club and NT. He's a former team mate of Wolff at the NT level.

Earnie has 14 years of experience with the NT. He knows and gets our NT set up and he gets the American player. He also has 15 years experience in Dutch leagues. Most importantly he has recent FO experience at a really significant club in Holland. Clubs in Holland are renowned for being among the most financially and structurally sound clubs in Europe. AZ in particular has a great reputation in scouting talent all over the world and developing world class talent from within.

Earnie wouldn't be cheap and it would be tough to pry him away from a well known club like AZ ... but we have the money now. Investing in a world class technical director will do more in the long run than a DP. We really have an opportunity to put together a real world class team with Stewart at the top and Olsen, Wolff, Onstad, Moreno and Silooy working in the trenches.

Alejandro 10, Winoman and greatscott repped this.
  5. suppitty

suppitty Member

Mar 15, 2004
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Warning: blind speculation below.

Anyone think Garth Lagerway might be interested in a move back to the District? He has done an absolutely tremendous job with RSL, but we could probably offer him more resources to work with (thanks rich-uncle Eric), and I imagine he might still consider D.C. to be his true home. I know he has an extensive legal background, but I'm not sure if he'd be a better fit to replace Kaspar or KP.

6. strago

strago Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's some more blind speculation.

Why would KP leave before a stadium deal got done? He's been trying for 10 years now. It must not be as close as people seem to believe it is.

7. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or, maybe because the owners want someone else in that job? Or because their idea of what his role would be with the team was not acceptable to him?

I have no idea where things stand with the stadium; but your conclusion doesn't follow at all.

8. ImNumberTen

ImNumberTen Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two things (while we're speculating):
    (1) It might not have been his choice
    (2) It could also mean it's all done except a few i's to be dotted and t's to be crossed.

In other words, we have no idea.

9. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the bolded part is the key here.
    Levien and company might want some fresh faces on that front.

10. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This scenario reminds me a great deal of when Jerry Jones bought the Cowboys. Tex Schramm was kept on board for a while but once the transition period was over and the new regime firmly in place, Schramm was jettisoned.

11. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KP got canned BECAUSE he's been trying for 10 years now. That's way too long.

12. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Isn't Lagerwey in favor at Salt Lake?

I think it would be bad karma in stealing away their guy. In a tight knit league like MLS you can create a bad reputation by cherry picking people from under other owners' noses. Especially with single entity and all.

Unless RSL and Garth part ways mutually. I don't see why Checketts would want to part ways with Garth since RSL has been turned into a perennial title contender.

13. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    I think this might be the biggest reason why - They appear to be more of an active, hands-on type of group, so Payne's role would be diminished

As for the responsibility to get a stadium for DC United, that's NOT the job of the Front Office - Thats the OWNER'S job - MacFarlane failed on Poplar Point, NOT Payne - MacFarlane failed on Morgan Blvd, NOT Payne - Then the guy with money (MacFarlane) left the team leaving Uncle Will holding court at tailgates with the supporter groups - DC Unite's stadium failures were NOT Payne's fault

Oveki8 repped this.
  14. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Dream team.

15. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno. Judging from the way he reacts when things didn't go well for this club on the field, it wouldn't take a lot to convince me he reacts in similar ways when they don't go our way off the field. That doesn't seem like it would help us.

Sports personalities, seasoned business professionals, and politicians might get a rise out of and forget about a good ribbing, tongue-lashing, sharp quip, or half-cocked email, but I can tell you government administrators HATE being talked down to. They hate it.

16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    It's not without precedent.

Rongen from the Mutiny to the Revs. Bradley from the Fire to the MetroStars. Alexi Lalas from the Earthquakes to the MetroStars.

I think if he wanted to go and wasn't under contract, RSL would let him go.

17. Shammypantaloons

Apr 20, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Honestly, all of the speculation in this thread is weird.. quite frankly I think TFC was just willing to spend more money on someone like Payne, given their troubles in the last few years.

Simple as that.

Bleed Black and Red all you want, but if someone is going to give you more power and perhaps as much as 2x or 3x as much salary/benefits- then welp.

18. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    19 May 2001
    Crew Stadium
    Cowlumbus, OH

Post Game

Me (Weaving ever so slightly): How the hell do we get back downtown from this place?
    Buddy (Weaving even more slightly): Dunno, where are the cabs? The bus? What kind of backwater is this?
    Me: Excuse me Mister can we catch a ride back downtown with you (repeat a dozen times)
    Mister: No. (repeat a dozen times)
    Buddy: Excuse me fellow United supporter can we catch a ride back downtown? (repeat half a dozen times)
    Fellow United Supporter: Sorry car full (repeat half a dozen times).
    Me (Listing slightly to port now. Parking lot almost empty. MeridianFC very sad.): Hey, isn't that the DCU team bus?
    Buddy (listing slightly to starboard): Yes, I believe it is.
    Me (approach bus door, knock on bus door): Excuse me kind bus driver, we're two lost and lonely DCU fans who have no way to get downtown, could we just, you know catch a ride to the city limits?
    Bus Driver: No way, no how.

Buddy and I walking away, heads down, contemplating the long dark trek back on the side of I-71.

Kevin Payne: Hey, is it just you two?
    Me: Er, yes.
    Kevin Payne: Get on the bus.

Thank you for 17 years of service and looking out for the fans.

Barbieri, BarcaLover, Zamphyr and 29 others repped this.
  19. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe. And I don't have any negative reaction to that possibility. Just doesn't really make a lot of sense to me, given the specific circumstances and info we have. You mean he couldn't find another job paying more in the last 17 years? Why now?

Oh wait. I know what it is. He was one of those people who swore that if Obama got re-elected he would move to Canada.

Alejandro 10, babieca and Boloni86 repped this.
  20. Shammypantaloons

Apr 20, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Less tongue in cheek response- sometimes things are as simple as money.

21. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    I think this is a true win-win. Toronto is woeful and needs help. Payne will be a vast improvement and knows how to deal with fans. Good fit for TO. At the same time, to reach the next level we need new blood, and a new approach.

Thanks for the service, and good luck Kevin. No amount of mouthwash will clear out the bad taste from 2010, but there were so many other sweet memories... A great guy from my experience.

As for Earnie Stewart, wow what a great idea. In this league coaching + motivation + organization > talent differential. If you're unconvinced of that, see our last 10 games of 2012. Earnie would be fantastic AND having a strong technical director could help balance out Ben's lack of experience (and his questionable use of DPs over the last year, which may have been appropriate but isn't likely to get better players to line up to play for him).

Alejandro 10 repped this.
  22. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ten years and no stadium=fail. I actually think it will now happen because one of our owners is a closer.

23. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes? No, almost all of the time.

I just don't think this is one of those times.

24. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fwiw, Goff saying that KP is saying it was 100% his idea and he needed a new challenge ;)

25. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yeah, because rebuilding an on the field legacy that's been in ashes and an off the field situation with a stadium built in 1961 isn't a challenge at all.