The Front Office Purge of 2012

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DCWarrior, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I don't think that's clear at all.

The quotes Goff had saying the front office was a mess and that he would be by bleaving combined with the body language he showed at the Levien/Thorinson presser would imply that this wasn't his choice, he's just landing on his feet with the Toronto gig.

2. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Yet again, had disagreements (common theme with FO haha) but that would be getting rid of a serious exec talent.

3. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I suspect this is right on target. Perhaps Payne was feeling the heat during at the beginning of the year when things were looking bad. At that point, I can see Payne telling Olsen, don't worry about next year. Do your best now to win. Attractive football be damned. I suspect Kasper will follow Payne to Toronto. and the new VP will start from scratch while keeping Olsen on board as long as he keeps winning.

4. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, but it seems to me that rather than just throwing him out on his ass mid-season when they took over... they waited until the end of the year and let him find a new gig before dropping the hammer.

5. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Could just be an ego thing. New ownership comes in and takes away the steering wheel on the stadium issue. Maybe the new owners don't do enough to coddle the bruised ego.

Toronto is a safe move to bolster his reputation since TFC has already hit bottom and has nowhere to go but up.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  6. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    statement from DCU:

http://www.dcunited.com/news/2012/11/kevin-payne-steps-down

“Kevin’s lengthy list of accomplishments speaks to his strong acumen as a leader,” said owner Jason Levien. “His dedication to the organization deserves deep admiration and appreciation. As D.C. United begins a new chapter, Kevin's leadership has helped to prepare us for this important and potential-filled inflection point in the club’s history.”
    “As we thank Kevin for his service and wish him well, we look to the future with tremendous optimism,” added owner Erick Thohir.
    “They say the only constant in life is change,” said Payne. “For me, D.C. United has been like my child. We brought the team into the D.C. and national sports world 17 years ago and every day since – good and bad – has been a labor of love. This team has provided many great memories of championships and historic accomplishments, but I will best remember the people I've had the chance to meet, to work with, strive with, celebrate with, and sometimes to share disappointment with.
    “To the players, coaches, co-workers and fans, I can only say thank you so much for the great privilege of having been part of the D.C. United family. It’s very difficult for me to express how I have felt, and still feel, about all of you. I will forward a longer statement in the weeks to come to try to do a better job of thanking everyone for all they have meant to me.
    “I'm very excited about the next phase of my life, and very excited about the next phase for D.C. United, as well. I know the leadership of the team will take it to new heights on, and off, the field. I look forward to returning to RFK and wish everyone in the D.C. United family the best of luck.”

7. DC06

DC06 Member+

Oct 9, 2006
    Within amile of home
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Echoing others sentiments want to thank Payne for his years of service and contributing to making this club great. We were fortunate to have someone who "got" the sport and its culture in the early days which helped make us a special club in our nation's landscape. Good luck Kevin.

That said, moving forward the stadium has been goal one, two, and three for years and need someone to move that forward as soon as possible. I am happy with the ownership making strides to keep the momentum in the biggest endeavor off the field in our club's history. I have not felt this optimistic about DC United since 2006/2007 period.

sitruc and dbchcknmn repped this.
  8. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Well this isn't Red Bull where we fire people in the middle of a playoff run.

Payne himself had a reputation for not firing people in the middle of the season (Rongen, Hudson, Onalfo, Soehn all left in offseasons). If this really is a case of the owners squeezing him out, he deserved the same courtesy that he offered to others.

9. YellowSpine

YellowSpine Member

May 7, 2009
    Portsmouth, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feeling kind of Pajoyed. Thanks for all you have done. Good luck on your next endeavor. Here is to the hope of your replacement bringing a bright future for DCU.

Marco10 repped this.
  10. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I know exactly what you mean. I'm just saying he wasn't fired. Sure, he could have seen the proverbial writing on the wall. Or he could have seen coming changes at the DCU FO that he wouldn't be happy with. Heck, I think Boloni86 could very well be right about this:
    Now that I think about it more, I'm thinking this likely was a part of the decision. DCU was Payne's team. What Goff said about him being "the team’s unofficial owner" was right. But now with the new owners this was probably every day becoming less and less the case. I don't think that's what he envisioned for himself. In fact, I'm quite certain it wasn't.

Marco10, Alejandro 10 and nobletea repped this.
  11. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Seems like this was in negotiation for a while between TFC and Payne, if hints that were dropped in TFC world were true

12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I'm pretty sure Onalfo was canned mid-season, setting the stage for Ben.

Otherwise, your point is valid.

JayRockers! repped this.
  13. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    At least completely destroyed TFC supporter scene might recover :D

14. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair... Onlafo was a huge heaping pile of suck... can't blame KP for shitcanning him.

15. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think also the re-definition of his role. I suspect he didn't want to be what they wanted him to be.

I'm a bit concerned that it's going to be someone from the larger U.S. professional sports community, with no particular experience with the sport or this league.

He seems to have a job he likes.

16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I don't. (I do blame him for hiring him.)

I was just correcting the record.

greekchampion04 repped this.
  17. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a DC resident who might be very useful in stadium negotiations with the DC government: John Koskinen. He is a former Deputy Mayor of DC; former Deputy Director for Management at OMB; head of the Y2K Conversion Council; and most recently brought in to save Freddie Mac when it was going south. He's also the former President of the USSF and once owned a semi-pro soccer team (the Washington Stars). He also chaired the DC Host committee for the 1994 World Cup. He also gave Duke the $ for its soccer/lacrosse field, Koskinen Stadium. OK, I'm sure he doesn't want the job (he's told me he is happily retired) and he is a Dookie, which might be a red flag to some in this UMD hotbed, but hey, he's got the chops.

18. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of my all-time favorite things any supporters in MLS have ever done:

[​IMG]

(hoping like hell that image displays)

Bill-DC, Winoman, SweetOwnGoal and 5 others repped this.
  19. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Claudio Reyna? Funny.

20. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Right ... forgot.

I've pretty much erased 2010 from memory ...

Isn't 2010 the year of the Tea Party and Snooki? Yeah ... I'm better off without 2010

sitruc, suppitty, Alejandro 10 and 3 others repped this.
  21. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Thank you Kevin Payne for all that you have done for DC United, i.e. the hiring of Bruce Arena and the relationship with the supporter clubs.

I wish you well in all future endeavors, except of course when your team plays DC United.

sitruc and John L repped this.
  22. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    So anyone have any nominations?

I nominate Earnie Stewart! Not sure if he's best suited for Payne's job or Kasper's job or a new position with a different category of responsibilities.

Either way ... this is the last paragraph in his Wikipedia page :

tab5g repped this.
  23. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best of luck KP and thanks for your service.

Your tenure was not without it's bad aspects, and it was probably past time to go, but that's all in the past now.

I think you got one wrong. But point taken.

24. D C B 2 3

D C B 2 3 Member+

Nov 18, 2007
    VA
    My jaw is on the floor! But change is inevitable.

Best of luck to Mr. Payne, you were there through it all.

I cannot wait to see wat the next few months bring.

25. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I asked him on twitter he said "You never know!"

Alejandro 10 repped this.