The "Friendly" Derby - Everton-Liverpool

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by ChuckDzzNutz, Dec 22, 2013.

1. ChuckDzzNutz

ChuckDzzNutz Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Florida
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm considering a trip with my girlfriend to Liverpool for what I've read on Wiki is referred to as the "Friendly Derby" because so many family members root for one or the other, or both teams.

I take comfort in hearing that supporters of each team are able to sit near or even next to one another during the derby without much Incident. Here in the states we actually had an incident in a preseason game between local 2nd division and 3rd division sides when we were wearing opposing colors and I had to stick up for her wearing the wrong ones (Despite the fact that we both support both sides).

We would both likely be sporting Everton Blue as she loves Tim Howard, and my side, Bolton, is toiling in the Championship, but I've always liked the Toffees anyways.

We both enjoy the occasional drink (or more than that) so we'd love to experience the English Pub culture, but I'm not looking to get my a$$ kicked for wearing the wrong colors into the wrong Pub. I'm hoping as long as it's not a supporter's headquarters that locals will be relatively understanding that we may be in the wrong territory (or realize we are just Yanks that just didn't know any better).

Does this all sound about right, or am I sorely mistaken in my understanding of things?

I'm not looking to join a firm . . . just hoping to come and enjoy a great game.

Any advice or comments are welcome.

2. boycee

boycee New Member

Dec 22, 2013
    Reading ENG-GER-LUND
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In the ground you will be fine i think as most of the hoolies are banned and normally just have a punch up on the streets. Obviously every club has it's idiot's so if you see a pub full of red shirts, and your wearing an everton shirt, be a little cautious and maybe think about a different pub. When are you thinking about going? This season? Liverpool and Everton pretty close in the league and could be battling for top 4 so that bring out the twat in some people

3. ChuckDzzNutz

ChuckDzzNutz Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Florida
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's pretty much 100% that it will be next season, but they could be close in the table again. We haven't even decided which grounds we'd be going to. I'm leaning towards Anfield, just so I can say I've been there, but I think she prefers Goodison.

4. boycee

boycee New Member

Dec 22, 2013
    Reading ENG-GER-LUND
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah could be a few seasons of power shifting on merseyside! Tis good to see
    In my opinion, do goodison mate. Proper ground that, Got more character & soul in one of it's seats than some of these souless bowl's we see so often nowaday's. Saying that Anfield is a proper ground too! Just tink goodison would shade on atmosphere, especially if the toffee's are winning.

ChuckDzzNutz repped this.
  5. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Liverpool's a fun city, quite cheap and has a condensed city centre. No reason you shouldn't have a great time. I'd recommend the Bierkeller, that's always fun if you want some drinks.

6. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Enjoy the trip to Liverpool. Fun city and the people are incredibly friendly. Have been a number of times to watch Liverpool play including this summer and actually fell in love with the city before the club. Can't comment on the atmosphere for the Derby itself since I've never gone but I know Liverpool fans who have been with Everton supporting mates/family and said they were allowed to sit next to each other and cheer openly for each team without getting their head kicked in. Which for an English derby is quite an achievement (or a Welsh or Scottish for that matter).

Apparently some of that was starting to go out of it, but with the new focus on Hillsborough, and Everton's classy actions regarding that, things are friendlier again. Either way I wouldn't wear an Everton shirt if you're in the home end at Anfield but you could probably get away with admitting you like them, particularly if you play up your American accents. Have fun.

7. one-nine

one-nine New Member

May 22, 2014
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    not a lot of heat in this derby... fans mix etc..

go to sunderland v newcastle for a hatred atmosphere.. its fantastic

8. nickcat

nickcat Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Southport
    Club:
    --other--
    There is virtually no trouble in and around the ground on matchday. Fans of both teams, openly wear colours, and mix in a friendly manner. There are many examples of friends and family attending the game together, and going to the pub whilst wearing different coloured replica shirts.
    If you want trouble, you've generally got to go looking for it in Stanley Park, or to be openly offensive and/or abusive to opposition fans. Usually, if you show up and support your team in a mature, adult fashion, you'll have no problems.