The Freddy Adu catchall thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Blustar, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    You're supposed to dribble with an objective in mind. Freddy in Aris reminded me of a young Robinho: dribbling for the sake of it, because it looks good, because it's fun, only to find himself in the end surrounded and with nothing to do but lose the ball.

song219 and ebbro repped this.
  2. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    oh sure, he's what I call a 5/95 player: he spends 95% of the time making plays that will only work 5% of the time. I can't count how many times I've seen him dribble into 3 players instead of hold it up, but that's why he's not playing.

3. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aris was > 4 years ago. I confess I never saw any of his matches there.

I did see almost every one of his matches at the Union and that was not an issue IMO.

In some ways Adu would do much better on the 2014 edition of the Union since they look to possess and do keep the ball more. Looking at taht scenario he could certainly replace Nogueiro who at 5'7" and 140 lbs is around the same size as Freddy. You then look at how much ground Nogueira covers to facilitate and connect Philly's offense and then Adu's issues becomes quite clear.

4. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Freddy to professional soccer is what Harlem Globetrotters player to professional basketball.
    Everything: size, athleticism, age, achievements.

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The Greek League is better defensively than the MLS. With the Swiss League, they are the two European leagues focused on pressing and 'herding', so that attackers end up isolated. Freddy fell for it time and again. Also, with them, Freddy played LAM, or even LW. With Union he was more central, most of the games I watched he was the CAM, and when he was on the left, he tended to come inside to allow Marfan to act as a SS.

6. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I don't know what most of these mean - but again, we disagree. Tab was a better dribbler than Freddy and a more effective player, but unfortunately didn't live in the youtube era so I can't seem to find any video proof. Clint Mathis wasn't just the most spectacular finisher - there was a period where he was firing on all cylinders - amazing passer, amazingly creative, amazing burst of pace, and could score against anyone (with his head and either foot). For a while our best finisher ever, although his peak was unfortunately short. I may be in the minority, but I personally think Bradley is better than JOB.

We would agree that Donovan is our best ever.

Mansters, Mr Martin and bigredfutbol repped this.
  7. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freddy also played primarily as AMR or AML the 35 matches he played with Philly. I see only 6 matches where he played centrally. That was a big part of his problem with the Union. He thought he would be given the keys centrally and Hack fell in love with M Farfan.

In any case neither here nor there. IMO Adu's issues at Philly was not due to over dribbling. Most of the time he would try to play possession, try to move the ball up field by knocking it around while the rest of the Union wanted to play kick and run after it.

Bolivianfuego and bornsteinforlife repped this.
  8. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Agree. He was always getting himself surrounded. Looked great on youtube clips when he managed to get out of it and make a great play or pass - problem is he shouldn't have gotten himself in those situations in the first place.

9. nealesk

nealesk Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Santa Fe, NM
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh NOW you're just kidding. how's it feel getting called out for being a bully internet tough guy??

I know it's a no no around here to call out other posters but screw you guy. sitting on your couch somewhere, armchair quarterbacking something WAY above your pay grade. Getting your "lol's" off the failure of another. you feel like a big tough guy huh? Glad the moderator called you out! you are childish and stupid, red card me or whatever this guy is freaking lame and should be ashamed at calling out a good guy. freddy is a good guy, just because he couldn't put it together at the end of the day there is no reason to be laughing at him and making fun of him on the internet. you can't just back off your comments asshole, screw you!

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  10. nealesk

nealesk Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Santa Fe, NM
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah we should be talking about .... brad evans :unsure:

why are you in this thread, why don't YOU let it go

11. nealesk

nealesk Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Santa Fe, NM
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #811 nealesk, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    figures you're from houston

you're a bore and if this is what you think about when it comes to soccer I hope you stay FAR FAR away from any pitch where your stupid ideas about what is important could be taken for intelligence.

your assessment is EVERYTHING wrong with youth development in this country. You need the things you are talking about but they don't do diddly squat in big matches with big players. you need genius. Freddy is the ONLY american player I've ever seen with that level of genius. And you can't take that away from him

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  12. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now, now, don't be so harsh with yourself Nealesk. When your therapist told you to take a good look in the mirror, and share your thoughts on the person you saw, he probably had something more "Stuart Smalleyish" in mind.

SPA2TACU5 and aveslacker repped this.
  13. nealesk

nealesk Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Santa Fe, NM
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah we know! you're busy in houston eating bbq or whatever the ******** you losers do down there!

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  14. nealesk

nealesk Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Santa Fe, NM
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and I figured this would be the gut reaction of another impish loser poster on this board. well done, great job there buddy

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  15. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are as predictable as a metronome. Which is just about as predictable as what will happen should another club take a chance on Freddy.
    Santa Fe' isn't high enough to explain why your blood boils, Nealesk, so apparently nothing stands between you and an embolism but your remarkable calm under duress.

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  16. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #816 EruditeHobo, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    You misunderstand. I'm not laughing at Adu... I'm laughing at you! :D

I don't "make fun of Adu". I might make fun of the guys that maximize his every strength and minimize his every flaw, but even that is kind of few and far between for the most part. That one little post about age in particular, that's what I was joking about. Would I be surprised if he was older than he says he is? No. But it's not a real issue for me, so yeah I was kidding a bit. And I didn't even bring it up, you'll notice. Maybe I should have put a smiley in there or something.

He's not your buddy. He's an over-hyped, under-performing soccer player.

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  17. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BigSoccer and drinking generally don't mix. If you want to flame people, go post in the comments section to an ESPN article.

song219 repped this.
  18. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, I thought we were avoiding making fun of Freddy Adu in here.

19. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Good thread!

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  20. Namrog The Just

Namrog The Just Member+

L.A. Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 2, 2007
    Baltimore County, Maryland
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freddy Adu threads are always awesome!

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  21. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, this guy can play.

It's too bad for the USMNT that things did not go right in his development.

22. kickingdead

kickingdead Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He posted another short video of himself running on a field. It looks like he does not think it is over for him.

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  23. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    If I post a thread of me running on a field - is it not over for me?

24. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He will always have Atlanta.

25. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    It will be over for him when he appears on a reality TV show.