The fight against modern Soccer(football) 2

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by vifvaf, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Well some clubs have external owners. Some clubs is fan owned , Some clubs are a combination. And im sure there are many other owner models.
    Ticket prices some places negotiated and some places the prices depends on who team you are playing. Some places it is determined by the club and other places by the owners. Some places the fans decide the price.Some places it is the clubs economic situation. Some places it is determined by the municipality or the country might have some rules for ticket prices. Or it could the stadium owner. And so on.
    Clear enough for you.???

Well first i would say distance. Competitive leagues ( 46 sovereign countries and top leagues) Most leagues can not be compared to NBA , NFL or NHL economical. geographical. Struckture. And so on.

The point is that you do not seem to ba able to concider the othe leagues than EPL , Serie A , La Liga and other big leagues. If you would familiarize yourself with other leagues in Europe you would see that your examples is not alway the case. Pluss the supply and demand as said before is not how work in my eyes because of MANY other factors earlier mentioned.
    All the topics in the fight agains modern football do not apply for ever league or clubs and it applies with very different amount .

Here i can only speak on behalf of my experiences. But you might be on to something . I find people to expect or even demand that ticket prices for sports event to be at a reasneble level so that a normal working man can attend to see the match live.
    In fact we have just now got a new law here in Norway that secures that people will be able to see the biggest sports events on open channels. Events like the World cup in football , EC , Handball World cup and EC for Women , The Norwegian Cup final , World cup in wintersports ,Summer and winter olympic games and so on.
    The reason is the great cultural significance this has in society.
    So yes we probalby have a very different view on why and how and to who sports should be available to.
    It is almost seen as a right to be able to go to see your team live.

2. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    You ALMOST got the quote right there. Just a little colon missing. You will get it next time ;)

Im not going to invoke me a great knowledge about Greek politics. But I assume that it is in Greece as in many other European countries, that people will be selected out of a wise rub confidence.

And if it is a people that have raised their voises and stood up to bad leadership, it is the Greeks. When Say Greeks and Italians do not like how something is done or rund they REALLY put their foot down.

You scream about personal responsibility. But is there anyone who have to bear the brunt of the problems that Greece faces now, then it's the working class.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTafZRecy2k"]Dropkick Murphys - Worker's Song (with lyrics) - YouTube[/ame]

3. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    you keep telling you self that. :rolleyes:

4. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    It is a bit more complicated than fans deserve cheaper tickets. But you just keep believing that is how it is.

5. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001

I would argue a lot of the working class benefited from retiring early, fantastic pensions, free healthcare. If they were I'll informed on the costs and expense, that is on the Greek citizens, Italians, Irish.

America unfortunately has not been immune to this recently. Unless America changes it course, we will be like Greece, Italy, Ireland, Spain, Portugal.

6. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001

Government getting in the way again. Government's job is to defend the country and give citizens the opportunity to succeed.

7. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001

8. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Why shouldn`t he ? If he can afford it, should he not be able to get one ?

I would guess maybe the fan owned clubs .
    At least where i come from the reduction on ticket prizes for Fan groups is negotiated every year.

9. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001

Shouldn't Porsche be made to lower there prices so everyone can afford one?

I was hoping for something more specific in terms of which clubs.

10. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In the same division, it isn't. It's often just as expensive (or nearly as) to go to the smaller club with the weaker team than the bigger one, just in the same way that NFL teams that are expecting a crap season don't lower their ticket prices.

High ticket prices also drive higher wages, and higher wages for the top sides drives up the demands of players across the board.

In short, when a few clubs start charging £50 to get in, any club that tries to keep prices lower will be at a competitive disadvantage in terms of its salary budget, so they need to ramp up their prices too, so they have a similar revenue level.

Nobody, other than the players, actually gains from higher ticket prices.

11. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    First off, I don't actually believe leagues are full of unscrupulous owners trying to rip off fans. Most owners here aren't in it for the money. Unlike in the USA, they don't cream off the profits for themselves, so there's less incentive to sting fans for extra cash.

Prices are typically a case of budgeting. In most places clubs more or less charge the same amount, so knowing what sort of crowds you have, you can guess you salary budget level. Outside the premier league most games, by quite a margin, are not sold out. Get into League One/Two and most are probably below half-capacity. Yet prices are still high. £17 to stand at Aldershot isn't driven by high demand as the ground is typically 2/3rds empty. Crawley, with higher crowds, a better team, and a smaller stadium, charge "only" £16.

It really is only with the bigger clubs, such as Arsenal, who have a waiting list for tickets, that owners are more aggressive in "seeing what they can get away with".

I think part of it is the rate that tickets prices have risen. When I first started going in the mid 80s, you could get into a second tier game for £3. Now its typically £25-£30.

Somewhere like Arsenal would have been £3.50, wheres now £40+ is normal.

There's also the point that clubs need to combat spiraling wages in ways other than just expecting fans to pay more for the tickets. Ticket prices are a symptom of a lack of cost control, not increased demand.

12. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    So owners can't make a profit? Actually the competition for better players increases wages, which increase ticket prices.

Again, that choice thing.

13. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway

You said : So where does it end? Should the working man be able to buy a Porsche? Rolex?
    So i said should not a working man be able to buy a Porsche?
    How you manage to compare a car to a club is to me a mystery. A Porsche is an item. How is a club and item to a supporter? There are hundreds and maybe thousands of exactly identical cars. How many clubs is Identical? How is the local association with a car brand like Porsche in your area?
    A car decreases in value a time passes until it is a gem. How does that work in a club?

I think you will figure it out if you do al little research ;)

14. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
  15. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
  16. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    You can say what you want about the Greeks. But they know how to make a good atmosphere ;)

From a basteball game in Olympic arena in Athens last Tuesday
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3W5yCMNkKQ&feature=player_embedded"]Pao vs Maccabi 86 - 85 | Atmosphere | G13 | 1080p - YouTube[/ame]

17. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
  18. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway