The fight against modern football 3

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by Numquam Moribimur, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001

How do football tourist have a big influence on ticket prices? The ticket I bought from Fulham was going to be the same price no matter what. I guess you are going to say Fulham priced that ticket on the off chance I would have a chance to make the trip there.

2. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001

3. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001

4. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The higher the demand for tickets, the higher the price. But I doubt soccer tourists have any real impact on ticket prices for the vast majority of teams.

5. mrtandy

mrtandy Member

Oxford United
    England
    Mar 12, 2003
    Banbury,Oxfordshire.
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Green Bay won 11 NFL championships before the first Super Bowl was played giving a total of 15.

6. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    How big is percentage is students of the attendance?

7. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    When you already have a good marked that is filling up the stadiums and then get tourists added that you know are more than willing to pay overprices for the one or two matches they are going to see the prices raises.

8. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least half, most of the times more than that.

9. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I think the clubs not that much visited by tourists still raise their prices to follow the "marked" . So if the say top ten clubs raises their prices , the rest will follow to some extent .

10. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
  11. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    The problem is I bought the tickets from Fulham Football club. Did I overpay - hard to say. I paid face value. Those tickets were priced probably over a year ago. They weren't priced on the off chance some tourist from America was going to buy them. Even if I buy from a scalper - those tickets have been sold by fans who have chosen not to go to the game.

To say you only want locals to go to games is selfish. Why not tourists? Tourists present an opportunity to grow the game. You want the sport to grow don't you?

12. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
  13. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    oh please, stop hammering this line about tourists driving up demand.

It's hard for tourists to get tickets as so few top club tickets ever go on general sale. The idea that tourists are driving up demand in ridiculous.

I've already said that ticket prices were rising long before games were selling out, and no, those price rises were not caused by tourists.

There are hardly any games even played in England during the peak tourist season.

14. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Try to look past your own case. Yes you bought the ticket form the club. How many buy though other instances ?

I have never said i do not want tourists. But the number of football toursts is far from insignificant. 750 000 tourists come to England every year to watch English football.
    The top six most visited grounds by overseas fans were: Old Trafford (114,000), Anfield (89,000), Emirates Stadium (88,000), Stamford Bridge (54,000) and White Hart Lane (38,000). Figures also show that 23,000 fans had visited Wembley Stadium.
    164 000 of them was Irish and "only" 56 000 of them where Amercian. I say only because of the numbers of people in USA.
    And believe it or not, 77 000 of them was Norwegians. So we are far from innocent in this topic.
    We also have a bad history when Kjell Inge Røkke and Rune Gjeltsten bought Wimbledon in 1999.
    They made ALL the major errors they could at the time. Hired Egil "drillo" Olsen as coach, They where relegated in 2000. The combo of low tv income and low attendace made the clubs economic problems worce. And in may 2002 they tryed to move the club to Milton Keynes.
    This move was very contrivensial. Moving a team to another city was and still is unheard of in English football , and when the decision made the public ,it led to widespread protests and boycotts from the fans. Many fans stayed well away from the games in sympathy with wimbledon fans. And visiting numbers during the season 2002/2003 plunged to the lowest level ever at this level. In som matches less then 2000 people came- monstly away fans.

So what happens when things go bad ? Tourist vanish , investors pull out , fans pushed away , club moved , colours changed , soul gone and so on. City has now seen the light side of a new risch owner. Wimbledon experienced the dark side. I hope i the future we will get to see more clubs like Athletic Bilbao where Basque country with as much local player as possible . And clubs and leagues run much like the German way. Off course with local adaptation.

15. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Would you like to elaborate that a bit ? Connection to topic ? In what contex do your use your comment ?

16. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001

The two Norwegians you cite we're businessmen, not tourists. Just like the Glazers , Stan Kroenke, Randy Lerner (Aston Villa), John Henry (Liverpool), are businessmen - not tourists. It is no different if they bought any other business in England.

Athletic Bilbao is a poor example. They finished 51 points behind Real Madrid. Doubtful that in the hamlets of Fulham and Hammersmith that they could compete in the Premier League with locals. The Premier League and La Liga are two of the top leagues in the world. Doubtful that people/television would pay to see a bunch of locals play.

You haven't explained how tourists drive up ticket prices? I bought my last set from the club. If I buy them from a ticket broker, then a fan has chosen to let their tickets go to make some money.

17. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Athletic Club is probably a bad example. You're not going to see clubs like that pretty much anywhere else in the world. The who Basque separatist movement created that. But, people still come to see them play and they're a top European club. Historically (at least), they're one of the big Spanish clubs as well.

18. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 2011, the total EPL attendance was about 13.5 million, so those 750,000 soccer tourists represent less than 6% of all EPL tickets sold. It's hard to believe that those tourists are a significant part of the reason behind increases in ticket prices, give the relatively low percentage of tickets sold that they represent.

19. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    The context is an answer to your lame post about perceived lack of security in Poland at the Euro. You have posted patently false information and included completely unrelated videos, which smacks of propaganda.

20. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I know. I used them as an example just so you could see that this isn`t a problem pointed only towards Americans or Arabian sheiks. We all know how glad some are to use the "just because he is America" card.
    Different then buying any other bussiness yes. But we have already been there.

That you find it to be a bad example is your issue. The club was in the European league final just last week.
    Look a little closer at the club and its history.

Yes i have.

21. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Yes history created this. If you look at many other clubs i think you will findthat surprizingly many clubs have a history including a sort of separatism of areas. Something that leads to local patriotism.
    Local players are actually a very appreciated thing in European football. Offcourse not everyone thinks like that.

22. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    How are the same numbers with the top 8 clubs in EPL? And i find 6% of EPL`s totoal attendence to be a significant number.

23. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Im sorry you got offended by my post of the facts that Poland needs 8000 more police for the Euro 2012. How do you mean i have posted faulse information? give me some info to show me the numbers are wrong ?
    The war on certan fans and supporter environments in Poland have been extreme . And many fans appose what has happend.
    The result might be that the fans will show just how hard they can be to contol during the Euro 2012.
    Try to search for polish ultras euro 2012 on youtube and see what pops up.
    So i ask again how is my post containing faulse info and propagada ? Could i be that you are not fully informed on the situation in Poland before Euro 2012 ?

24. vifvaf

vifvaf Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    Valerenga IF Oslo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    And how does it conect to my post ? Breivik vs ultras????

25. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001

How realistic is that? Think about that. If players had to stay local. Ronaldo would have to be in Portugal. Didier Drogba in the Ivoory Coast. Robery in France. Ozil in Germany. As I said would networks pay for that?