The FIFA Reform: News & Analysis

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Jun 1, 2011.

1. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Good point about the financial consquences...does anybody know the formula by which the $$$ of World Cup TV rights are actually doled out?

However, I would strongly disagree with the assertion that having hosting decisions made by the entire Congress is better than having them made by the ExCo. To me, having more countries voting just means more opportunities for bribery, especially given that roughly 60-70% of the votes are going to be cast by countries with no hope of qualifying for the World Cup, and who therefore will not have to deal with the consequences of their decision.

2. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    The point you don't understand is that Kuwait for example couldn't vote because they haven't made the world cup in a long while using his system, but they could vote if on the Ex-Co. Same for the UAE, I used example of nations good enough to qualify for the World Cup but still excluded from the vote - you guys just want to exclude what is a WORLD game

3. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Which countries do you say have no hope of qualifying for the World Cup? War torn Syria, Iraq, Yemen, Lebanon? These nations are affected on and off the field in every instance and you'd kick them even further

4. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Probably the fairest method, in that it would give all the federations equal voting power while at the same time limiting voting mostly to World Cup contenders, would be to give voting powers on World Cup related issues to the top eight teams in each federation, as determined by their most recent continental championships. This would mean votes would be given to:

UEFA - Czech Republic, Greece, Germany, Portugal, Spain, Italy, England, France
    Asia - Uzbekistan, Jordan, Australia, Iraq, Japan, Qatar, Iran, South Korea
    CONCACAF - Mexico, Trinidad & Tobago, Panama, Cuba, Honduras, Costa Rica, USA, El Salvador
    CONMEBOL - Colombia, Peru, Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil, Paraguay, Chile, Venezuela
    Africa - South Africa, Mali, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Togo, Ghana, and Cape Verde

5. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    How exactly are nations which don't qualify for the World Cup (such as the ones you mention) affected by where the World Cup is held? They get roughly the same amount of money from FIFA (via TV rights) no matter where the World Cup is played. And because nations which have no hope of qualifying for the World Cup are not affected by the consequences of the vote where to hold it, they are much more susceptible to being bribed, since the actual merits of the various bids are irrelevant to them.

6. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    They aren't affected by were it's held, but it does appear that YOU want a change because you are affected by where it will be held in the next few editions. Your not happy that Russia and Qatar will be hosts so you want to change the system where the world footballing powers will decide where it will be hosted. These footballing powers will keep it amongst themselves won't they - they won't go to countries FIFA take it.

7. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    You don't understand the world game mate. Research ASIA for a start, see how teams play at the world championship first and then produce your list.

Now you've just changed your method, can you not stick to one system and go with it? You obviously didn't back your own system and now changed tactic to something completely different.

Well done for forgetting a corner of the world aswell.

8. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    That's exactly the reason of the existence of the Exco.
    It gives all Confederations a more balanced power (regardless of the amount of members in any one of them, although Uefa still gets a little bit more than the rest), for taking important decissions, specially those concerning WC's.

Your call, would likely almost double the amount of representatives for each Confederation in the Exco. Also take in mind, that one of the Exco members doesn`t represent UEFA, but the IFAB in it (he is a representative of one of the 4 brittish Associations).
    Same goes for the FIFA president and General secretary, whom don`t represent a Confederation, but all of FIFA instead.

At this time, all of these 3 "extra" Exco members, are originally from Uefa, reasons why Uefa has more members in the Exco, and will also give Uefa a "plus", in all decissions taken by the Exco, but if Blatter or Valcke are replaced by someone from elsewhere diferent than Uefa, another Confederation could get more of its members in the Exco.
    :)

9. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Rickdog,

Actually, if you look at the rules governing the ExCo, you are wrong. UEFA gets seven members, Africa and Asia four each, South America and CONCACAF three each, Oceania one, and the IFAB (by definition a UEFA member) one.

Druryfire,

The whole reason I came up with a second idea was to address the concerns of yours that the federations should be represented equally on World Cup matters. I still prefer my first idea of restricting the vote to countries which have qualified for the WC in the past 20 years. And the reason I ignored Oceana is because they only contain one nation which matters from a World Cup perspective (New Zealand). If they want a bigger voice, they should join the AFC like the Aussies did.

Lastly, I would note that the reason I am so adamantly against a one-nation, one-vote system is because it leads to corruption. How do you think Blatter, and before him Havelange, stayed in power so long....by buying votes every time they were up for re-election. Or just ask the members of CONCACAF, who had to put up with the corrupt despot known as Jack Warner for 20+ years because the Carribean members of CONCACAF outnumber the North and Central American members of CONCACAF 25 to 10. Why do you think the new President of CONCACAF (and FIFA vice-president) is from that notable football power the Cayman Islands, instead of from Mexico or the USA? Why do you think the Oceana representative to the ExCo (and FIFA vice-president) is from that noted footballing power Papua New Guinea, rather than from New Zealand? It's cause New Zealand is outvoted by the minnows 9 to 1. And please explain the logic of having someone from Burundi on the ExCo?

"Tyranny of the majority" simply doesn't work when the majority has no stake in, and is not affected by, the outcomes of their decisions. That's why I think it shouldn't be used on matters pertaining to the World Cup.

10. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Actually, you are the one who is wrong.
    In my post I clearly stated, that Uefa gets more representatives in the Exco.

And if you use simple maths, although bigger confeds get more representatives than smaller ones, you'll find out that the amount of representatives for each and every Confederation, holds no proportion between the amount of its representatives and the amount of members each Confederation has (If it would be so like it, CAF has more members than any other Confed, so they should have more, but they don't).

Secondly, the IFAB is even older than the existence of UEFA. Their representatives, were representatives of the IFAB, lots longer before they were UEFA members.
    The IFAB, is not from UEFA. Actually they are over it, and over FIFA as well, reasons why FIFA gives it, the importance it has in all its statutes and also the reasons why one of its 4 representative teams (England, Scotland, Wales and Northen Ireland), has a seat among the Exco, regardless of them also being, members of UEFA.
    So by definition, they aren`t an UEFA member (unless you, can come out with at least one, of its representatives not being a part of the original 4 representative associations).

The amount of Exco members, each confederation has, depends on the size of it and also on the importance of it for "WORLD" football. But no Confederation gets enough amount of members in it, to be able to take decissions only by their own, reasons why there is a factual balance within it, which is, what I posted before......

In the actual Exco, there are 10 members whom are originally from Uefa : the 7, you mentioned, plus Blatter (President of FIFA, elected by FIFA Congress), Valcke (General Secretary, appointed and elected by the Exco), and Mr. Jim Boyce (appointed by the IFAB)

;)

11. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Burundi represented by a woman right? The first woman?

Papua New Guinea got a club into the Club World Cup and the OFC president was a former footballer, so maybe that had something to do with his election? He was also elected unopposed if you which to contest why NZ aren't running the game there!!!

Just like FIFA ExCO, people complain who's on it, but don't put someone up for the vote anyway!!

12. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    Dr. Gamera repped this.
  13. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    ...No wonder these criminals got the 2018 world cup....'Let there be no doubt: we intend to react firmly (we will kill your ass) to unfriendly attacks and unceremonious infringements on the rights of Russian citizens'...(unless we are the ones doing the killing).....no wonder these Russian crooks are in bed with FIFA and Blatter...

15. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Michael Garcia has been on that list for a while now so I don't think that he has actually tried to enter Russia. He'll either interview people outside of Russia or send someone else to do it. Really nothing to see here.

16. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
  17. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Finally someone in a position to be heard (Romario) has the guts to call these two fcuks exactly what EVERYONE knows they are....but haven't the balls to say it....

18. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  19. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
  20. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  21. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  22. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  23. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Qdog and england66 repped this.
  24. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    ....I doubt FIFA are 'looking for a way out'...but hopefully Garcia may provide them with one. Because of the uproar over Qatar, Putin and his corrupt cronies have managed to fly under the radar concerning their own 'bought bid'...Unless this crap is stopped then the world cup will NEVER again be held in a true democracy...(and no, Russia is not a democracy)...

25. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    What I mean - and this is pure speculation on my behalf - is that Valcke knows that Garcia's report has the kind of findings that would basically force the ExCo's hand to start the bidding process for 2018 and 2022 once again. Hence giving FIFA a way out.

I guess we will just have to wait to find out.