The Ex- Thread: Former Crew Legends, Rejects, Has-beens, and Never-was-es.

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by patricksp, Jan 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DAFCrew

DAFCrew Member+

Feb 27, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    You know who love getting fisted?

. . . Sock puppets.

1 person likes this.
  2. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has been a thoroughly enjoyable thread to read. Can we start a poll or something on when:
    a.)tRR makes his first game day roster
    b.)gets his first first-team minutes
    c.)gets his first start

Next opportunity 02/04 @ Bristol City

3. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has been a thoroughly enjoyable thread to read. Can we start a poll or something on when:
    a.)tRR makes his first game day roster
    b.)gets his first first-team minutes
    c.)gets his first start

Next opportunity 02/04 @ Bristol City

4. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didja hear Leeds got beaten 4-1 by Birmingham City? I may not have mentioned it yet.:):):)

5. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus
    Oh dear, Leeds sacked Grayson.

We all know how well Rogers adapts to coaching changes.

6. NUFC Fan

NUFC Fan Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    A new manager means a triumphant return to the twitter-verse though, doesn't it?

7. ThreeC

ThreeC Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Cowbellumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That does suck for tRR. I wonder if the new coach wants him around at all. And its too late to be loaned out. I hope he finds a spot.

8. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    <Missionary and Pastor enter stage left to state how the new manager is not developing tRR correctly>

9. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Grayson sacked? So soon after winning Leeds hardest working manager award?

1 person likes this.
  10. FootyRef

FootyRef Member+

Apr 13, 2007
    Westerville, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That big Serbian, Nikola Zigic, (6 ft 7 1⁄2 in), scored all four goals.

11. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bummer.

12. DAFCrew

DAFCrew Member+

Feb 27, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Traditionally I don't have a dog in this, um, discussion. However, "Must spread . . ."

13. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Ok can we re-rename this thread back to "tRR discussion trumps all other topics thread"?
    Christ, enough about rogers already. (the coaching change would have actually been an interesting tidbit had it not been prefaced by 6x previous pages about Rogers)

New rule: All posts in this thread about tRR must be accompanied by pictures at least one of his sisters. Pictures must not be duplicates of previously posted pictures. Topless pics allow you to post about tRR indefinitely. MODs please add this to the Crew Forum bylaws. Thank you.

14. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm KCbus, and I approve this message.

15. ivanov

ivanov Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  16. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On a side note, the same articles notes that former Crew...uh....legend, Chris Leitch has elected to retire.

17. ThreeC

ThreeC Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Cowbellumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was recently spotted in Columbus.

18. DAFCrew

DAFCrew Member+

Feb 27, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    No Hejduk, no peace.

Look Homeward Massive.

Can we be Frankie?

And any other such countless slogans, were this possible. If he wasn't such a California guy, I'd actually take the time to hope for something like this.

19. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Word amongst the Applebees staff says that Leitch will work in the SJ FO.

20. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting away from tRR for a bit, there is a good, new article in the Dogpatch about Gino:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/blogs/covering-the-crew/2012/02/padula-second-career.html

One thing I really liked:
    That's my kind of coach. It would be nice if they would put on some coaching clinics to share this (and it's the same kind of thing I've heard from Rob Smith when he has done coaching clinics for us).

21. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    Makes me a remember a coach I had back in the day for club that coached in one of the Westerville high schools, can't remember which one. In a tournament somewhere a teammate didn't take the ball to the corner to kill the last minute of a game and boy did he lace in to him. Remember after the game the other parents couldn't believe it. I can tell you the next time that kid needed to kill off a game, he went right for the corner. Now at younger ages I can understand no yelling, but by the time you're at higher levels you should be able to deal with it.

22. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disagree. A GOOD coach knows which players respond well to what types of motivations. I had kids that I could rip into with expecations and they knew that I was doing it because they did something they knew not to do. I had other kids that you had to treat with kid gloves for a variety of reasons. Sometimes, you even have to treat the same kid differently depending on the situation.

I remember on year, I was coaching a team that was absolutely devoid of talent. My senior captain skipped out on practice three days in a row. I had no idea where he was. This is normally a kid that can tak anything. Regardless of what I said, he'd take it in stride. He showed up and looked like crap. couldn't concentrate, yelling at the younger kids. I pulled him aside and asked him what was going on. Here, I thought he just skipped out on me, so I was already a little ticked at him and had been rough on him for the first 45 minutes. He proceeds to tell me that he's skipped school the last three days to work at some "work today/paid today" places because his dad (only parent) got picked up for DUI and they couldn't get him out of jail. HOLY CRAP did I feel like bantha fodder.

Sorry to take this off course, but I have to disagree that yelling at kids is ok, even at the higher level. I believe that as long as the kid isn't getting paid to play, then it shouldn't be ok to treat them like a professional athlete. And yes, I consider scholarships as "pay".

23. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The profile you gave sounds like Steve Serr, one of the biggest d-bags in all of Central Ohio soccer. Right up there with my good buddy Keith Laughlin.

24. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of my favorite experiences was playing him and some of his (still in HS) team indoors (I forget where--possibly Oak Creek). Most of our team was on the wrong side of 30 by that point (and I may have been pushing 40) and we were geting trash-talked before the game about being old f*rts and the like (but kept silent). They figured they were going to run all over us and pushed way up, leaving our main forward unmarked. Five goals later, they began to see that they had a problem....:D What they did *not* know was that the above-mentioned forward had played a bit. At Northwestern. Oops. We had a pretty good defense and ran out the clock in the second half, unscored upon. About the only thing we had to say afterward was "Scoreboard".

25. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    Couldn't remember the name, but that was him. He was in the Bobby Knight mold for sure. He was an a$$, but knew his soccer. Not going to turn this thread on it's head, but the way some kids are coddled and primped these days is a bit much. I see what crewfan is saying that yelling is not always the right reaction. Sometimes a point needs to be made and my opinion was that to completely dismiss it as a tool may not be the right move.