The Elizabeth Warren Thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Revolt, Oct 12, 2011.

1. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Ah-- I misunderstood. My apologies. You were pursuing this line of discussion with a view to separating saints from sinners, rather than as it applies to the coming election.

Perhaps we could get a mod to move this part to the religion forum? :whistling:

2. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She got a plum speaking slot in Charlotte. Seeing as she's held steady about 2-3 points ahead of Brown even with this summer's shenanigans, got to think that'll give her a nice bump.

3. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    So what's the general consensus here... she's currently up around 2 percent, and Obama presumably by around 20 percent in Massachusetts. Does Scott Brown have a hope of retaining his seat?

4. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Basically, with so much time left before the election, it's still plenty close. I'm just happy that, for the most part, it's been a reasonably clean campaign thus far.

5. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been more than 15 years since I lived in the hub so I can't claim to be tuned in to the voters there, but isn't the CW that if she's up by 2 or 3 percentage points on election day, Obama carrying the state should give her enough momentum to win?

6. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Warren supporter, I'm prone to err on the conservative side. But yeah, I'd definitely give her the edge right now. Support in my area (which is strongly pro-Warren) is really high and her ground game looks strong. The current Brown narrative, that she's too "divisive and confrontational" for Washington, isn't playing very well in a state that's had it up to here with GOP confrontationalism.

7. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Do people in Mass get the feeling (as I do) that Brown only votes against his party when the result doesn't matter and McConnell allows him to? Or are they not really paying all that close attention?

8. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a pollster, but that's certainly my impression of Brown. I don't think all that many people are buying the "independent centrist" story. A few too many party line votes on bills that are pretty much the opposite of what most MA voters (right or left) want.

No one believes he's a wingnut Tea Partier, but no one believes he's a "swing vote" that will wield his "leverage" for the benefit of his constituants. If anything, the Brown image that has stuck is "Wall Street's best friend". Not surprising, given his opponent.

9. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Ha... good stuff! She would finally be a worthy successor to Ted, I would think.

10. klattamaniac

klattamaniac Member

Dec 4, 2000
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    As a Mass. resident (and Warren supporter), there's still a long way to go. I would agree that she is in a good position, but there are still plenty of people out there who buy into the faux "Scott Brown, regular Joe" persona. At this point, I'd pick Warren to win, but I definitely wouldn't bet the house on it.

And generally speaking, there are many, many more Republicans in Massachusetts than most people think.

11. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's because most MA Republicans are actually conservatives, which makes them look entirely unlike non-New England Republicans.

12. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    For me what's most interesting about MA democrats is just how working class they are. The image of NE Ivy League elitist liberal is sooooo ridiculously false.

13. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reason MA is so blue is that we have both. :)

14. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    I ended up wiki'ing Somerville the other day (probably in connection with the Revs' stadium fantasies) and simply could not believe that only 4.76 percent of its residents are registered Republicans. I knew Boston was liberal.... but I didn't know it was that liberal!

Edit: And it's only 7.23 percent for Boston proper, compared to 55.04 percent Democrats. That is simply astounding in my opinion.

15. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Every single city in this country w/ a population over 500K voted for Obama in '08. I'm sure that Somerville doesn't fit the bill technically, but much of the population of MA is urban, and the GOP has abandoned cities.

MA is Dem for more complex reasons, but I suspect that the entire NE was/is ahead of the game in this regard.

16. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should be wiki'ing Revere for that, actually.

17. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Oh, I'm aware of that. I guess I didn't realize how insignificant the percentage of GOP voters was. In Philly, for example, there are twice as many registered Republicans as in Boston.

18. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Thanks for the heads up. I guess I haven't been following along closely enough...

19. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A significant number of Harvard grad students of various sorts, including law students, live in Somerville because the rents are cheaper than most places in Cambridge and it's only one T stop away from Harvard Square.

20. GiuseppeSignori

Jun 4, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention a few federal court clerks like my brother and sister-in-law back in the day.

21. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big ups to Slumerville! (Lived there for 3 years post college)

22. Bman

Bman Member

Apr 24, 2001
    Beverly, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone has lived in the 'ville at one time or another.

23. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    My brother lived there for a while in the 90s, so I've been there a few times. He used to call it "the wrong side of the tracks" back then, but I get the impression it's changed quite a bit.

24. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on the neighborhood. Davis Sq is a overpriced hipster hellhole now, but Winter Hill and a few other neighborhoods are still full of (literal and figurative) rats. It's pretty diverse actually.

The proposed Revs stadium is over on the shitty side of town. Not that I expect that to ever happen.

The big news is they're extending the Green Line from Lechemere all the way through Somerville and Medford out to Tufts. That will change everything in the next decade.

25. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    If that isn't already a song title, I'm stealing that.