the economics of working the refs

Discussion in 'Referee' started by superdave, Apr 7, 2014.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Law5 and soccersubjectively repped this.
  2. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Not a very well written article, in my opinion.

3. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    "Thankfully, I’m in a sweet spot where I am a damn good referee,"

This guy sounds like a pompous @@s.

But his analysis of the effects of college coaches on local refereeing is accurate, as far as those
    guys who do it mainly for the $$$.

PH

4. Yale

Yale Member

Nov 26, 2012
    I hear it from coaches all the time that I'm a “damn good referee”. Well, to be honest it's sometimes tough to make out that middle word, but I'm pretty sure that's what they're saying.

5. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    You must have nicer coaches than the rest of us!

PH

6. nonya

nonya Member

Mar 2, 2006
  7. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
  8. That Cherokee

That Cherokee Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Not a NISOA ref myself, but I have heard from many who are that this is pretty common, get blocked by one coach and you pretty much lose access to the entire conference. Lots of politics and a general expectation to favor the home team by many coaches. silly IMO

9. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    One of my colleagues, a USSF National, was doing a D3 men's game, which went to overtime. In the last minute of overtime, he called a penalty kick against the home team, which the visiting team, from a different state which our college association does not serve, converted, to win the game (since NCAA is sudden death overtime.) The home coach comes storming out, yelling "I know it was a foul but, if we were playing [at the visiting team's locale] we NEVER would have gotten that penalty called in our favor!!!!!" Ah, and you want me to have done what, coach?